Fuel Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'd need something bigger than 250 gallons. :dizzy: That's only a couple of trucks, but I'm gonna have to ask around to see what's available. You also have to include the cost of making a pad for it, the fencing, etc.

Maybe we could do it... :)

250 gal. tank would be perfect for me, although I envy a friend of mine who has a 1000 gal road diesel and 600 gal off road diesel tank at his equipment yard. I fill up there once in a while. I would look for a used tank that you could put on a trailer. You could also put 2 or 3 of those 250 gal. tanks on a single trailer. I think one 250 gal. tank could probably fill at least 4 trucks. A friend of mine has a Peterbilt and he usually puts in only 60-65 gals when he stops for diesel.

He must never get out of the filling station! :p

If it gets too big of a deal, we're right back to just going to a gas station on the way to the job. There's fine line where you really have to be getting a good deal on the fuel getting delivered.

Actually, the fuel company I checked with would deliver a 250 gal. purchase for $2.50 a gai. The two stations that sell diesel near me are $2.52 and $2.56. I could have my fuel delievered cheaper, plus you can't beat the convenience. When I go to the gas station I usually need to wait a bit for the diesel pump. If it is between the hours of 0630-0730, may as well forget it. I got all the other tree services and trash haulers in the area waiting to fill up. I usually go at night or around 0600. The station is only 2 blocks from my house.

You'd have to go through 2500 gallons to recoup the cost of a $150 pump if you're only saving .06/gallon. :(

You also need to include the time savings of fueling at your own yard vs waiting in line at a station. If I were to p/u the fuel at their terminal, about 8 miles from my house, the road diesel is $2.40 a gal. with no minimum purchase amount. Even a 100 gal tank would work for me. Wish I had a p/u truck with a transfer tank.

Back