Full Comp or Skip chain on 28" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedtree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is for a 385XP cutting hardwood. Can you even get full comp in an off-the-shelf 28" loop? I've been running Stihl RS chain and will stick with it unless there are other recommendations?

In hardwood 28" bar depends on the size of the wood small wood run full comp big wood you would do much better with skip. In small wood I don't think it would matter much. I would run skip so that you would have big and small wood covered with the same loop.

Kodiakfisher

80% of the time I expect to be cutting 20" or less wood. I want the 28" bar for the stumps and occational larger logs.

I'm thinking full comp makes the most sense, knowing that I'll just have to go a bit slower in the big stuff.

a 28 in bar on a 385 i'd go full comp, but then again i run full comp on 36in bars. come to think of it i've never run skip in my life. i just use a power head big enough to spin the chain with authority.

i did just order a roll of skip to run on a 41in bar on an 880 to see how it works out. after reading all the posts on here the only advantage i see to running skip is less cutters to sharpen. full comp matched with the right power head for the bar length will cut faster.......and thats all i care about.

Kf Tree is right about matching a powerhead with enough power to run full comp.

I think a stock 385 28" bar and hardwood makes for another interesting debate. If the nose will be sticking out on "larger" logs full comp will work fine if not I would consider full skip, but like most things on this board what is acceptable to one person would be unacceptable to another. I'm not a pro so time is not money for me!

Kodiakfisher

I have a 288xp with a 32 " bar and full comp chain (3/8 by .058). Never had the nose buried but I have cut through some 28"+ pin oak logs and it seemed acceptable. Of course you can't force it too much and you need a sharp chain. Used the same setup on some 24"-26" hedge apple and it was plenty strong.

this is the power head's and bar lengths i run.

346 ehp 16 in
357 ehp 20 in
372 ehp 24 in
372 ehp 24 in
372 stock 24 in
288 stock 24in
385 stock 28 in
395 ehp 20 in
395 stock 28 in
395 ehp 32 in
395 pp 36in
880 ehp i have a 25 an 41 in on order.
and another 395 at ehp's

i think a 7900 will be next, and once modded and it will run a 24 in bar. all stock saw's have modded mufflers except the 288.

Normal comp will be a little smoother. Skip will be easier to resharpen. Both will work fine. My preference is skip.

I'm really grooving on my 088. But I'm dumber then a sack of hammers and I look like I got hit by a swinging bag of chisels too.
Hahaha
John
hoser.jpg

This is the way to go for filing chain. Although I just grind this vise is great for cleaning out gullets. To can do 6 cutters at a time.
John
vise.jpg

Nice vise, John....

no one mentioned semi skip, which I've run and liked for years.. I run it on 24-28 inch bars...and sometimes skip on 28 inch...

rbtree said:
Nice vise, John....

no one mentioned semi skip, which I've run and liked for years.. I run it on 24-28 inch bars...and sometimes skip on 28 inch...

That is the vise that I gave to Gypo for coming to my November GTG. I had to give John a 24" Titanium to come to Ed`s Nov. 04' GTG and a 16" Pro Lite for coming to Marky`s May 05' GTG, luckily I was able to give him a ******* on a pp346xpg to come to my March 05' GTG. :D

John, glad to see you getting some use out of the vise.

RB,

noone uses semi-skip here it seems, infact I was under the impression that it`s not even available.

Russ

twistedtree said:
This is for a 385XP cutting hardwood. Can you even get full comp in an off-the-shelf 28" loop? I've been running Stihl RS chain and will stick with it unless there are other recommendations?

I`m sure that your dealer can spin you loops if he doesn`t stock them. Your 385 should handle it no problem.

Russ

Back