Full skip semi-chisel? Gettin paid to cut stumps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
Yep I'm going to be flush cutting stumps once the snow is gone. Should be good fill in during break up. It was a job I logged in a county park last winter. They had strict stump height regulations when I cut it. 12" for sawtimber. 4" for pulp. I basically clear cut 5-6 acres and they had me leave 5-6 large oak trees per acre. At the time they planned to leave the stumps and brush cut around them to maintain it during the summer. The first snow we had last year was a wet one and froze hard to the trees. Every damn tree I had to chop out with my axe before I could cut it and attempt to get their stump heights. I told them when I was done I would not be happy if they decided they needed to flush cut the stumps. Well like I predicted brush cutting around all those stumps didn't work too well. Wonder why. Anyway I got a call from the county to put a bid on the job. 250-300 stumps. Due to the fact that it is an indian burial ground the soil can not be disturbed by equipment. So its just flush cut the stumps to about 2" above ground level. Anyway I'd like to run a semi-chisel full skip. I suppose I could just call some manufacturers, but its more fun to ask you guys and I may learn something. I've also seen the carbide tipped chains although they are so damn expensive and I've heard they cut slow. Thoughts? Suggestions? I won the bid by the way. They called me because they knew I would bid to get it.

I don't know nothing about cutting trees down, but I do flush cut a bunch. Oregon JGX full skip chisel works fine, if you keep the top plate less than thirty degrees it seems to last decently well. What I find super important is oiling. My 385 is not a great stumping saw, kinda smoky on the big ones. Thats the main reason I picked up the 394. Chain seems to last much better. I feel for you. Stumping is boring as **** and murder on your back. On a still day, you are also sucking smoke like crazy. This wasn't really a cheerful post, sorry.
image.jpg

Thank you boys! I'd like to get a 3120 for the occasion but I can't really justify that. I got rid of my 394 too. It'll have to be an old 390. This is going to be high production stumpin Jon! I'm hoping for 50 a day. Time will tell. I'll be doing it in the rain most likely. 30-40 degrees kind of thing. I see Oregon has a full skip semi chisel. It has bumper links though. I will have to do some more digging.

Nice stump Jon! Burl? hehe.

full skip semi is pretty much my chain for everything..

I've heard that upping the displacement and going with .404 chain is the ticket to dirty hard wood, never tried it myself. Perhaps you can find an older 90-100+cc saw for a reasonable price so your not to worried about smoking it after 2-3 weeks? Then turn around and see if you can get a premium here on AS on account of your "fame"... sign it with one of them silver sharpies and take some cheesy blue steel glossy prints... never know.

bitzer, how are your Stihl chain prices? The dealer by the mill is on par with Oregon online prices, possibly a dollar or two more per loop.

300 stumps?

Why can't you use a small stump grinder and buzz them flush with the surface?

Philbert
That was part of the deal. No equipment. At the pre-bid meeting a guy asked if he could run a 4 wheeler around to pack his fuel and oil and what not. They said no which I found funny cause I had to run the skidder around to pick up my logs when I logged it. I cut about 70mbf and 80-90 cords of pulp. I also had a representative from the University of Milwaukee watching me at all times during the harvest. This land has some of the best preserved indian mounds in the state and it is a super sensitive issue publicly. So its just a saw and me, which is fine.

full skip .404 for sure. Sharpen at 20 degrees, or even 15 if you're hand filing. If you're machine sharpening then go with 20 degrees and adjust the head to about 75. Keep your rakers set. Won't win any speed records, but it will work well and last a long time. Won't need much sharpening to bring it good again either. I've tried 3/8, .404 and both types of carbide chain (RD and RDR) and the .404 wins in all categories; speed, price and ease of use. You can drive it with that 390 no worries, just take your time and let the saw do the work.

full skip .404 for sure. Sharpen at 20 degrees, or even 15 if you're hand filing. If you're machine sharpening then go with 20 degrees and adjust the head to about 75. Keep your rakers set. Won't win any speed records, but it will work well and last a long time. Won't need much sharpening to bring it good again either. I've tried 3/8, .404 and both types of carbide chain (RD and RDR) and the .404 wins in all categories; speed, price and ease of use. You can drive it with that 390 no worries, just take your time and let the saw do the work.

Well now you've given me some ideas to play with. Can the carbide chain be sharpened? I'd probably run a 32" bar. Most of the stumps would be inside of the tip that way. I'd hate to buy a new bar for this, but if its that much better. Typically I buy my chain in 25ft increments from my dealer. I've got a an older 390 that has a lot of time on it, but still has the grunt I know. I think I will open the muffler up even more than it is and pour some more fuel through it.

bitzer, how are your Stihl chain prices? The dealer by the mill is on par with Oregon online prices, possibly a dollar or two more per loop.
I haven't bought Stihl chain in years and the dealers around here really know how to gouge. 95% of who they service are homeowner types that buy two loops a year kind of thing. I think I went through 200-250 feet of chain last year. I get a discount at my Husky dealer. I will see what he can do.

full skip semi is pretty much my chain for everything..

I've heard that upping the displacement and going with .404 chain is the ticket to dirty hard wood, never tried it myself. Perhaps you can find an older 90-100+cc saw for a reasonable price so your not to worried about smoking it after 2-3 weeks? Then turn around and see if you can get a premium here on AS on account of your "fame"... sign it with one of them silver sharpies and take some cheesy blue steel glossy prints... never know.
That's a thought. I'm hoping to only have a week in there though. 50 stumps a day sounds reasonable. I could be shootin a little high there. I don't know. I was cutting 30 sawtimber trees in there a day, plus the pulp. So 1 long cut per stump and 50 sound more than reasonable. Sharpness issues are going to be the biggest thing. I plan to bring my grinder onsite. I think I will need it. As for the "fame" sales- I've got a Stihl 440/460BB with about 2 million bf under its belt if anyone wants it! Muffler is triple ported. Cylinder has the standard woods port job. Shes kind of in pieces right now. I'll start the bidding at 50 cents! Oh and its an UGLY lookin machine. Tensioner doesn't work to well. Starter is kinda limp. I gave the full wrap and big dogs away. Hmmm. Other selling points... Um It was never hit by a tree or bucked log. Never fell outa the back of a pick up. I did use it to fight goatman in the swamps once. street cred there.

Back