Full wrap handle opinions please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So lately I've suffered with some left elbow pain and stiffness and I'm told by my ortho clinic that there isn't much I can do because of a tear and some arthritis. I don't really have any pain while working or using it just nights and mornings its uncomfortable.
My question is if I added a full wrap to a saw or two could that give me better hand position options with cutting that might take some strain off my elbow and buy me some time? I've never used a full wrap before and just curious if others have used them to take some advantage of other grips and angles to make things easier on the body.

Depending which injury you have there are therapeutic exercises for it to recover, how long it takes ranges from about 2 months to almost a year.

Using something like K-Tape or a proper brace/compression sleeve will help remind you not to do the action that aggravates your injury. Sometimes TENS will help, I'd recommend renting/borrow one to find out.

Now to the question asked: full wrap.... a full wrap gives more position options for your hands, however those options are normally when using the saw in a different orientation and your hands are still in the same type of positions. Using your hands in non-standard positions may be hazardous as you change how you react to what you expect the saw to do.

The only exception to this I can think of is if you use your saw upside-down and reverse handed. However; with a full wrap it is possible to reverse your hands but it does put you significantly closer to your bar and conventionally on the wrong cutting side.

Hmmm, does someone make a left handed saw? Aside from the underwater ones?

It’s mostly used so you can fall a tree from either side of a tree, using the pulling chain that is. I would say try one and see how you like it. I would suggest warming up and stretching that arm at least see if that helps too

Now to the question asked: full wrap.... a full wrap gives more position options for your hands, however those options are normally when using the saw in a different orientation and your hands are still in the same type of positions. Using your hands in non-standard positions may be hazardous as you change how you react to what you expect the saw to do.

This make sense and I defiantly DONT want to deviate from safe practices.

My injury is that of a fissure or crack in a tendon that cant be repaired and causing some arthritis. injections can offer some relief I'm told but not significantly.

My injury is that of a fissure or crack in a tendon that cant be repaired and causing some arthritis. injections can offer some relief I'm told but not significantly.
Then as I mentioned, exercises for something like tennis elbow are your best option. They are not made to instantly repair the damage! They are made to retrain your muscle memory to proper positions and strengthen the muscles around the injury to take up the load.

They can prevent/delay the cost of starting those injections for the rest of your life.

I injured one of my elbows after digging an emergency trench to find a waterline, it took the better part of a year before it was ... okay. However it does not take much digging to aggravate it, but it does not ache doing most normal things anymore.

I'm not a faller and I agree with the safety issues but these guys are trained and certified and rather a requirement for the type of work they do, myself I do have them on my 372 but don't really need the because I'm just usually bucking firewood.

Regarding the elbow pain; try glucosamine sulphate, garlic pills, and vitamin B.

it helps in the lubrication of the tendon sheaths. Works for me for many years.

it will take at least a month, maybe two to "kick in".

then just take it for a couple of weeks anytime you feel the familiar pains and then lay off again.

Regarding the elbow pain; try glucosamine sulphate, garlic pills, and vitamin B.

it helps in the lubrication of the tendon sheaths. Works for me for many years.

it will take at least a month, maybe two to "kick in".

then just take it for a couple of weeks anytime you feel the familiar pains and then lay off again.
Great advise! yeah going to have to be smart about this going forward. just need to make sure I can keep cutting wood till my boys get old enough to help.

I've tried many things. What I described works well for me. I've been doing it fir about 25 years. My pain was gone for a bunch of years. It came back this past summer. I got back on the regimen and it's nearly gone again, along with the pain in a knuckle of one finger.

If you think that it might help, ebay seller “myenginemasters” has the OEM Full Wrap Handle kit, with the Junkyard Dawgs for $28.07/Free Shipping, shows 10 available

That’s not a Huge investment, is easy to install (or remove, if you don’t like it) and probably be at least a break even add on if you ever sell the saw

Might be worth a try

Doug

If you think that it might help, ebay seller “myenginemasters” has the OEM Full Wrap Handle kit, with the Junkyard Dawgs for $28.07/Free Shipping, shows 10 available

That’s not a Huge investment, is easy to install (or remove, if you don’t like it) and probably be at least a break even add on if you ever sell the saw

Might be worth a try

Doug
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the full wrap kit is for the 372XP that you have inbound

It looks like you have already sold the 562XP, the wrap kit for that cost me $37.73 shipped from a different seller

I don’t know what other saws you have that full wrap handles are available for, do a search and compare prices, they can vary widely for the same item

Doug

The only exception to this I can think of is if you use your saw upside-down and reverse handed. However; with a full wrap it is possible to reverse your hands but it does put you significantly closer to your bar and conventionally on the wrong cutting side.

Hmmm, does someone make a left handed saw? Aside from the underwater ones?
I've seen people cut with the top of the bar and the saw "backwards", I'd only do that when felling and only when I had to as the kickback risk is greatly increased. Also, yes, there are left handed saws, but your options are extremely limited.
IMG_4459.jpegIMG_4545.jpeg

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the full wrap kit is for the 372XP that you have inbound

It looks like you have already sold the 562XP, the wrap kit for that cost me $37.73 shipped from a different seller

I don’t know what other saws you have that full wrap handles are available for, do a search and compare prices, they can vary widely for the same item

Doug
That’s a great price! I would in fact try them on the 372. The only other I would try is the echo.

Latest posts

Back