Fungus Amongus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have spent the last couple of late afternoons moving firewood out of the metal shop building and into the outdoors. I cut green wood during the winter.
It is mostly Doug-fir. I noticed about a month ago it was developing interesting molds and fungi. I unplugged the holes around the base of the shop which I had plugged to keep the mice out. The shop floor dried so I figured the wood would. It didn't and the mold grew like it was in a horror movie. The wood is still soaking wet. So, I have been moving it out where it will be unprotected from the predicted rain but well ventilated. I noticed that the wood that I kept outdoors is in better condition than the shop wood! Now I'm wondering if I could grow mushrooms in that building. I'm also thinking if I don't want to go into the mushroom business, maybe it needs some windows. I certainly don't want that furry stuff growing on my car or pickup!:confused: A woodshed is planned for the future but I have to get a house up first.

i don't cover my wood until i'm ready to use it for the winter. it remains out in the elements rain or shine and it still dries completely.

in the fall, i throw a tarp over it to keep the snow and ice off.

This could be a dumb question, but I do the same..cut green during the winter, have about 3 cords laying around in the open. I'm building a wood shed that is open on 3 sides...should I put the wood under it now, or wait until fall?

Back