MS 461 is breaking my heart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering I thought the intake boot was the air baffle , I’m going to do just that. Unfort most of the local guys are at a 3 week turn around and Im only half way there in regards to wood. “Winters Coming!”
Was hoping it was something I could knock out quick at home.

You dodged a bullet on the repair bill which is great. But, your post brings up a few things to consider. A second saw will help free a first one, which is handy, it will also keep you in business if your first one needs to spend time in the shop. Personally, if you have a good dealer I'd consider picking up a 261. It'll be a great compliment to your 461 and if you cut any smaller wood or need to break down tops in the woods, it's much less fatiguing to use a smaller saw.

So, put that repair money you saved towards a second saw and be more prepared next time. :)

I am definately capable of the ladder, probably just didnt think about pulling it out with the tractor is all. Great tip on the wedges, thanks!

The deadfall was big and leaning into a standing live tree. The deadfall had a giant root ball attached to it as well. Once I limbed the tree ans was left with just the leaning trunk, ill admit I was pretty cautious . The tree also had a large limb that was stuffed into the ground causing additional torque. Unsure how to read this , I made a test cut into that ground stuffed limb to read which way the tree wanted to move.
Once I had it figured out, I began the cut in the main trunk. My plan, right or wrong, as a novice was to stand on the side of the tree in the opp direction it wanted to move and make a top cut then finish it from the bottom up. I tree pinched before The top cut was even half way through the log . I never would have suspected that would happen.

Thanks again all.

Back