Fungus on maple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakewood

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this board, found this site while searching the web to find out what to do about some sort of fungus on a maple tree in my backyard. It has had some kind of toadstool type fungus growing on it for a couple of years. It didn't seem like a big deal then, but the fungus has multiplied, causing bark to fall off and limbs to die that were close to it. I'm apprehensive about calling a tree guy, because I'm sure they will want to cut it down no matter what. I've attached a few pictures of it, is there anyone familiar with this problem and have any suggestions, I would appreciate any advise.

lakewood said:
I'm apprehensive about calling a tree guy, because I'm sure they will want to cut it down no matter what. ...
:laugh: nOw why would you think a thing like that? Arborists care for trees; if they cut them all down they'd eventually be out of work, right?

Seriously though, those 2 trunks got major problems. Looks like they got damaged when a log fell against them a while back. :cry: dam careless loggers, look what they did. Scar tissue (callus) growth looks like the wounds are old. Measure the circumference of the trunk where the wound is widest, then measure the width of the wound. If it's over 1/3, then removal has to be on the table, but it's the extreme option.

I'd invigorate the roots so the scar tissue may grow faster, and remove branches as they die. That scar tissue is 40% stronger than regular wood, tho a bud of mine at isa said that woundwood was not connected to the parenchyma of the other wood, so that ring shake was likely between them.

This deflated my trust in woundwood. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

I remember reading that seeing fungus fruit bodies of any sort was an indication of advanced decay, Shigo perhaps? I remember that it was a bad sign and was a result rather than a cause of disease. Likely there was something else going on for some time prior and the fungus is just a result...

CNYCountry said:
fungus fruit bodies of any sort was an indication of advanced decay, ...
decay, yes. advanced, not necessarily. on these trees it'd be easy to measure how advanced it is.

Funny you think tree guys just want to cut trees down. I can't speak for all but as for most arborists i know this isn't the majority of there work. Nor would they recommend all trees be removed. However in the case of your tree, i must disagree w/ spending money on root invigoration. With the extent of decay i'm seeing, no matter how mch it eventually heals the tree will never be sound and will always be a bit of a liability. Removal would be my suggestion.

as a non-tree person who owns a home, i have found (1) the arborists on this list informative on ways to preserve a viable tree and (2) became educated enough to feel comfortable calling my local arborist to look at my trees... and he didn't suggest anything major... in fact educated me on how to trim my dogwood myself, drawing pictures and showing on a branch where to make the 'healthiest' cut for the tree...

not like when i go to my surgeon who wants to slice on me before we explore other options :)

Latest posts

Back