Funky Stihl chaps pocket flap...help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought this pair of Stihl chaps and I'm puzzled with the design of the pocket flap. The flap has some stitching on each edge (pointed) that keeps the flap from opening up much. I can't imagine trying to get my hand down in there to get anything out of the pocket. What do you guys do with these pockets? Do you cut the stitching so the flap opens or do you not even use the pocket? Does it get easier as the chaps break in? Thanks for any input.

Is the pocket very long? might be a wedge pocket.... flap is sewn shut to prevent it filling up with sawdust which will drive you nuts. Cut the stitching if you don't like it. You might want to put some velcro in its place though. Better chainsaw trousers have zip pockets.

Shaun

Thanks for the replies. The pocket is large and on the left thigh. It seems velcro, snaps, zipper would have been better without restricting the opening size. I can just barely get my hand through the opening when the chaps are off but I can't when I'm wearing them. If I decide to cut any stitching, I would cut the rear one first and leave the front one. Maybe that would allow hand access AND keep chips out. I could always take them to the local leather guy and have him put some nice snaps or velcro on there.

I think they do that so the pocket doesnt fill with chips.... like every other pocket I own does.

It's good for wedges.

My wedges, scrench, and files sit in a little plastic toolbox, right next to the sledge, the gas can, and the bar oil. Why would I want to carry those heavy thing around in my pocket?

I have a pair of those chaps. I snipped the string that holds the flap down and left the flap on.

The pocket is handy for wedges and the flap keeps most of the sawdust out. I like to have a wedge handy where I can grab it fast if I need to.

My wedges, scrench, and files sit in a little plastic toolbox, right next to the sledge, the gas can, and the bar oil. Why would I want to carry those heavy thing around in my pocket?

I carry my wedges with me when felling or bucking big stuff. The only thing remotely close to the tree is me, a saw, wedges, and utility axe. Right outside tree fall range is another similar sized already warmed up saw, just in case. I used to shove the wedges in the rear pockets of my pants, but now that I have chainsaw pants I use the wedge pockets. When you need a wedge, you need it right then and there, it's both a safety and a convenience thing.

As for plastic wedges being heavy...err..what? You aren't using steel wedges to fell are you??

If you don't have plastic wedges, just cut some on the spot from hardwood.

This is only a guess, but I believe these two stitchings are there just to help keep the flap over the pocket. My Stihls are my loaner chaps so I can't say how handy the pocket is. I don't like carrying a scrench, screwdriver or any other unsheathed pointed object in an upper leg pocket. Ron

I dunno...I've learned to throw at least two short felling wedges in my jeans pocket any time the chaps go on (no pockets on my chaps). Pop them in hand tight on anything over I don't know, maybe 12" that is either standing or laying that isn't 100% no pinch hazard gets one. Seconds of prevention prevents minutes of freeing a pinched bar.

If I expect it to try hard to pinch then I'll bring a hatchet or ax with me and medium wedges and set them firmly.

The tools I don't carry with me, but I'm sure I would if I was a production guy working away from the truck all day.

As a first responder that has seen a chain go down to bone, my chaps that have a pocket carry a trauma dressing (maxi pads work too) Wedge usually goes in my rear blue jeans pocket. A huge first aid kit in the truck doesn't help when you can't get to it. Doesn't weigh much and always there.

This is only a guess, but I believe these two stitchings are there just to help keep the flap over the pocket. My Stihls are my loaner chaps so I can't say how handy the pocket is. I don't like carrying a scrench, screwdriver or any other unsheathed pointed object in an upper leg pocket. Ron

Amen on the pointed objects in the pockets. I rope my gas and oil jugs together and carry my scrench fastened to a 'biner on the rope.

As a first responder that has seen a chain go down to bone, my chaps that have a pocket carry a trauma dressing (maxi pads work too) Wedge usually goes in my rear blue jeans pocket. A huge first aid kit in the truck doesn't help when you can't get to it. Doesn't weigh much and always there.

Excellent idea!

What do you recommend packing in a ready to grab trauma kit for one who has no formal first aid training? I don't have a trauma kit so the cotton undershirt is the first thing I think of, and the only thing I have used in the two situations where I have had to control bleeding. Minor first aid is usually not too far away in my type of cutting. Thanks, Ron

What do you recommend packing in a ready to grab trauma kit for one who has no formal first aid training? I don't have a trauma kit so the cotton undershirt is the first thing I think of, and the only thing I have used in the two situations where I have had to control bleeding. Minor first aid is usually not too far away in my type of cutting. Thanks, Ron

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-fAi7SlSbJo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Should be able to find them for about 30 bucks online. Current training is MUCH more aggressive with the tourniquets then in the past -- if you're seriously bleeding slap one on and concentrate your time on treating other injuries and evacuating the patient, and don't worry about the tourniquet if you can get to a trauma center within two hours. If it's over two hours then it's time to see if you can loosen it and control the bleeding by pressure bandages...but if you can't it's better to lose the limb then bleed to death.

You could use your belt, but if you're like me you're then walking out of the woods in your boxer shorts since there's no way my jeans are going to stay up afterwards.

Some bandaids, some 4x4 gauze pads (store brand is fine), some rolled gauze (Kling or Kerlix is *much* easier to use since it sticks to itself better then store brands), some clear medical tape. Ace bandage in case you twist your ankle and need a bit of support as you limp out.

The above list should be able to help most anything short of opening up your guts or cutting your groin area, then you'll need someones T-shirt :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back