Funky Stihl chaps pocket flap...help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should be able to find them for about 30 bucks online. Current training is MUCH more aggressive with the tourniquets then in the past -- if you're seriously bleeding slap one on and concentrate your time on treating other injuries and evacuating the patient, and don't worry about the tourniquet if you can get to a trauma center within two hours. If it's over two hours then it's time to see if you can loosen it and control the bleeding by pressure bandages...but if you can't it's better to lose the limb then bleed to death.

You could use your belt, but if you're like me you're then walking out of the woods in your boxer shorts since there's no way my jeans are going to stay up afterwards.

Some bandaids, some 4x4 gauze pads (store brand is fine), some rolled gauze (Kling or Kerlix is *much* easier to use since it sticks to itself better then store brands), some clear medical tape. Ace bandage in case you twist your ankle and need a bit of support as you limp out.

The above list should be able to help most anything short of opening up your guts or cutting your groin area, then you'll need someones T-shirt :D

Thanks. Boy am I behind the times. Back in the sixties they taught us in elementary school to use tourniquets to stop the spread of rattlesnake veniom. Before I hit sixth grade they told us never to use a tourniquet after a local snake bitten girl almost lost a limb from the tourniquet applied by a classmate. Later I was taught that you could use a tourniquet to stop blood loss but you should loosen it from time to time on your way to the hospital. As an adult I was told you don't use a tourniquet, you use hand pressure. I had been led to believe that there are now trauma "bandages" developed by the militrary and available to the public that are designed to prevent major blood loss. I was hoping someone would shed some light on these, how they are used and where to get them. I understand that many carry the maxi-pads as posted above. All I know for sure is I will do my best to stop someone from bleeding to death using whatever is at hand. Ron

I just bought this pair of Stihl chaps and I'm puzzled with the design of the pocket flap. The flap has some stitching on each edge (pointed) that keeps the flap from opening up much. I can't imagine trying to get my hand down in there to get anything out of the pocket. What do you guys do with these pockets? Do you cut the stitching so the flap opens or do you not even use the pocket? Does it get easier as the chaps break in? Thanks for any input.

I always carry my extra chain in there...thought thats what it was designed for...

A sponser Bailey's sells a cederroth blood stopper item number 07169 that is more compact than what the description implies (they tell you the unfolded dementions) or an ABD pad from your local drug store, or try searching Internet for an "Isreali Bandage".
The best course of action is start 911 rolling if possible and control bleeding...before you are unable to do so.

I always carry my extra chain in there...thought thats what it was designed for...

hey! You can get ahold of some muckety mucks at stihl intergalactic HQ--just ask them!

So far we have wedges, emergency med supplies and chains..I am thinking a stash of slim jims and beef jerky might fit in there too....I mean, WHY NOT..

hehe, Stihl will proly say like "ya, dat is vor your sturmvoodstumpenfraunhaussen adjuster"

I'm sure I would use the pocket, if only the flap would open enough for something to fit.....like my hand!

I discovered a new use for this pocket. It adds one more fabric layer before the saw gets to the good stuff. I took two new recruits out to cut today. When we were about done (us not the tree), I noticed kevlar hanging out through a hole in the pocket patch. It didn't look too bad so I had assumed the guy was carrying the saw against his leg as there were a number of the characteristic cuts from that bad behavior. To my surprise, he said he had bumped his leg while the chain was still turning. Fortunately there was no injury to him. I showed him the other cuts and let him know he needs to watch how he carry the saw before it becomes a bad habit and he gets cut. Ron

I will call Grand Forest (SweedPro) on Tuesday and get the answer...

They make Stihls chaps and boots...if anyone knows, they should....

I will call Grand Forest (SweedPro) on Tuesday and get the answer...

They make Stihls chaps and boots...if anyone knows, they should....

........................,,-~*~,,
......................./:.:.:.:.:.|
......................|;.;.;.;.;./
......................|.;.;.;.;.|
............._,,,,,_.).;.;.;.;.|
.........,,-":.:.:.:."~-,;.;.;.|
........(_,,,,---,,_:.:.);.;.;..",,
......,-":.:.:.:.:.""-,,/;.;.;.;.;.",
.....:).__,,,,,,,,,___);.;.;.;.;.;|
...../"":.:.:.:.:.:.:¯""\;.;.;.;.;.,"
....\",__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\
.....\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:\