furnance running too long

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craddock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok first I'll say that I haven't had time to research anything yet but hear is what I know so far. The hardy is running fine but when the house calls for heat the furance runs and runs and won't shut down. I felt the pipes coming in and one was real hot but the return was luke warm. The coils were basiclly warm to slightly hot. I am thinking either the pump is out or the coils are plugged up. The unit is 4 years old. With what information I have at this point does anybody have any ideas?

If the coil is hot at the point of entry, but alot cooler at the return, a guess would be to check for air lock.
It could be the pump, that requires some investigation.
Hope its not a plugged coil.

It is a hardy stove with the coil in the trunk of a L.P. furnace. I am hoping that maybe the pump got air in it some how. It has an auto fill with a float and it has been working for 4 or 5 years now. I checked it for low water this morning and the level was fine. It just acks like the water isn't cirulating enough if any. Seems like it happened all at once too so I don't think that its plugged.

Besides not getting enough water through the coils, maybe the furnace isn't set at a high enough temp. Water could be cooling so much through the coils that it takes the furnace extra to heat it back up.

Yesterday I was splitting next to my Hardy. I noticed it would kick on every 30 min. or so for about 5 min. The temps here were in the upper 20°'s. My water temps are 165/175°.

My temps are set at 185 to 195. The in coming pipe felt pretty darn warm but like I said the out going pipe was luke warm at best. I haven't changed anything on the setup since I installed it.

Well guys I THINK that I found the problem. First the water temp was set too low. I raised it to 170 on and 185 off and the air coming out of the duct was quite a bit warmer. Also I changed the furance filter and that helped. I change the filter every two months but for some reason it was in need of changing sooner this time. At this time everything seems to be warm and comfy for now.

If everything is working proper again don't touch it:).If it happens again close ball valve at furnace.Disconect feed line from furnace at HX then open return line valve and let back flow thru HX to flush.See what the water looks like and the flow should have HX full.Good luck.

I had my underground pipe get water in it a few times . I pumped it out by sticking a hose down the pipe out at the stove, my stove is downhill from my house so the water collects down there .

Latest posts

Back