Future legendary saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the problem with the 590 is a bunch have been sold and even 'if' they become rare or desirable folks will want the 620p which is a better saw in most aspects. I stashed a rear handle MS150 (already a rare saw although available) and a MS201 rear handle, a Solo 681, a MS660, and a 6400. Its tough too predict the future, though the highly desirable saws do have common traits.

I think the problem with the 590 is a bunch have been sold and even 'if' they become rare or desirable folks will want the 620p which is a better saw in most aspects. I stashed a rear handle MS150 (already a rare saw although available) and a MS201 rear handle, a Solo 681, a MS660, and a 6400. Its tough too predict the future, though the highly desirable saws do have common traits.
Now this guy is building a good stash!

I think this is the issue with the ms290. So many were sold that you can still buy a almost new one. I did. I'd say it's a legendary saw, one of stihls best sellers and pretty reliable. I'd also say half of you would disagree with me. Lol

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then the zenoah g3800, g5200, g450avs, and g621avs are legends. All very good saws and by far the most copied saws.

346 and 372 stand out to me.

Nothing, be it cars, motorcycles, guns, chainsaws, etc is remembered by the masses for the relative value it was when new. If they were, an echo or Stihl 290 might make the list.
Agreed, i used a 346xp and it's a great saw.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

If it's just to stuck it over the mantelpiece, unfueled and unoiled, and look at it, a Stihl MS070/720 without any hint of doubt. Rather expensive but can be had without jumping through too many hoops.

If it's to have something to resale at a profit, absolutely nothing: when you factor inflation in even all those expensive collector's items in mint conditions such as semi-mythical "still in the box" Echo CST-610EVL and the Dolmar KMS-4 are worth about the same as they did when they appeared in dealerships if not considerably less. I know chainsaws are far cheaper in the US, but I remember when I heard the price of the Echo twin back in the 80's. I was just a boy back then so it appeared impossible money to me but with hindsight it was a rather enormous sum of money.

What would be interested is to find out which models will develop a cult following so as to hoard spare parts: that can be done at a profit, especially when the manufacturer is stopping supporting them and rather large quantities of spares can be bought at a decent discount. Dolmar's are probably a good bet as they are rather poorly supported by aftermarket, have spotty dealership coverage and are good to great saws with a well deserved reputation for delivering. A couple of cardboard boxes full of cylinders, pistons, crankcases and ignition modules could be a decent investment...

If it's just to stuck it over the mantelpiece, unfueled and unoiled, and look at it, a Stihl MS070/720 without any hint of doubt. Rather expensive but can be had without jumping through too many hoops
Are the MS270/070 of today as good as the past ones? I read somewhere that they are actually now built in Brazil of “mostly” German made parts. I read it on the internet so it must be true :yes:

If you're talking about newer saws to stash away in hopes of them gaining value as collector saws down the road, it's very hard to predict, I think your stash needs to be somewhat diverse. This was early on in the start of my stash. I've since added about a dozen saws like a 361, 346, 390, pre xtorq 372, 385, 660, 460, and a few more. People ask how you can keep a saw in the box without running it, it's actually quite easy when you have the same saw that is used, and you have too many saws to begin with. It makes it a lot easier when you do some buying, selling, trading and end up with little to nothing in a new saw in the box. Bottom line is any saw that is new in the box will gain some value in 20 years, what that gain is will take time to figure out. It's a gamble, but if you can end up with little to nothing in the new saw, sit on it 20 years, it will be a pretty nice return on investment. That being said.... I wouldn't go pay anywhere near full retail for an "investment" lots of better investment options than a future collectible chainsaw. A lot of times it's guys that like a saw that they know they are going to stop making so they buy an extra, those guys aren't really doing it to make money, they just know what they like and don't want to gamble that the new one will be better.

IMG_7531.JPG

If you're talking about newer saws to stash away in hopes of them gaining value as collector saws down the road, it's very hard to predict, I think your stash needs to be somewhat diverse. This was early on in the start of my stash. I've since added about a dozen saws like a 361, 346, 390, pre xtorq 372, 385, 660, 460, and a few more. People ask how you can keep a saw in the box without running it, it's actually quite easy when you have the same saw that is used, and you have too many saws to begin with. It makes it a lot easier when you do some buying, selling, trading and end up with little to nothing in a new saw in the box.

View attachment 630379
Your stash takes the trophy so far :numberone:
Dare I ask if you would part with any of them?

Back