Fuzzy Elk Butts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I braved sauna conditions in my raingear this morning. I wanted to check out a road that was blocked off. They plan to log the unit this year. I got to the end and my nearsighted eyes saw fuzzy elk butts where the loggers had taken a few trees off a while ago. I had to zoom and apparently the camera is also nearsighted. I got fuzzy elk butts in the picture.:(

attachment.php

Are your elk the Roosevelt elk or the Rocky Mountian variety? It's always neat to walk up on them. Thanks for sharing the photos

Most West side are Roosevelt east side are Rocky mountain. The RMEF also supports the Roosevelts theyve done some projects out on the Peninsula. Once in a while theyll come and fertelize our yard for us.

All we got down here are the Roosevelts. There's a lot of Salmonberry and Serviceberry down here so they get pretty big. BLM has the Dean Creek Elk viewing area near where I live, there's some monsters there.

Have only seen Roosevelt east of the Sierra's and they are kind of puny compared to Colorado and Utah elk.

I have a telescopic sight that would show them very clearly! Lol

There are some really big elk in the Siletz Bay/Drift Creek area. Coming down on my last trip up there we saw one herd that must have numbered about fifty. It was summer, they were feeding along the edge of a field down at the bottom of the hills.

Mr. HE:cool:

Here is one of our local heard Bull nothing more entertaining than driving home at night wondering what those yellow orbs are doing 6 feet above the road till the head lights hit their body and you go oh

attachment.php

not an expert on elk, but have done alot of reading on the various sub-species. roosevelt elk on average have smaller antlers than rocky mountain elk, but larger bodies. tule elk (california) have smaller bodies, and smaller antlers than rocky mountain elk, but in proportion to their bodies, they have large antlers.

merriam elk (extinct) had bodies similar to rocky mountain elk, but bigger antlers, eastern elk i am not sure about, maybe bigger bodies than all of them, but extinct a long time ago. the last known merriam elk was around 1900, they were found in the arizona and new mexico area, eastern elk were back east

we have a few

back here in va that snuck in from the south where they were reintroduced i didn't know about that. till i got outa the tent one morning to answer a call. was quite surprised. good thing i was sober

There are some pretty fearless herds in these parts. I remember once up in Kapowsin country near Buckley waiting twenty minutes for the herd milling around my truck to leave, unperturbed by horns or engine revving. The herd below Mt St Helens is actually eating itself out of business, as evident by starvation browse on Noble and Grand fir seedlings. The herd up the Kalama river is huge and gets around. I usually see them in a clearing a few miles up Italian Creek.

Got a friend in that's a conservation agent/wildlife biologist stationed over in Arkansas, on the Buffalo River. His main responsibility is to keep an eye on the elk herd that was re-introduced there. He tells me that the elk (rocky mountain) have done better than they ever expected. He says the biggest issue is when the elk get off government property, national forest and hit the farmers hay fields. He says most of the locals hate them. I sure wish they would re-introduce the elk in Missouri. The department of conservation is the largest landowner in the state. We have a wild mustang herd up around Ft. Leonard Wood, surely if the public lands will support them, it's big enough for elk.

back here in va that snuck in from the south where they were reintroduced i didn't know about that. till i got outa the tent one morning to answer a call. was quite surprised. good thing i was sober

Im not sure I buy that there.. Could you give me some reading on that? I knew they used to be here, but I didnt know thay where anywhere within at least 1000 miles from VA??? Ive never seen, tracks, hair, wallows, poo, rubs. none of it. . .

(update), I did some reading and it looks like they are indeed in the western part of the state, came from Kentucky...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back