FYI for splitter builders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If this has been posted before then please ignore this.

All Napa stores in the US. will make hydraulic hose assemblies for a reasonable price. You also DO NOT half to buy the hose from them but you will need to buy the fittings from them and they will sometimes put them on for free. The most common hydraulic hose you will need for your hydraulic splitter will be 1/2 inch SAE 100R2AT for your pressure lines and 3/4 or 1 inch (Depending on your suction port size) SAE 100R4 for your suction lines. Most people and companies will use NTPF for there fittings but to be safe you should use JIC 37° for safety reasons as well as ease of installation.

JIC might be marginally easier for the average moron to avoid cross threading, but there are a LOT of SAE fittings in use all over the world.

tks.
Just for curiosity I checked my local store, and yup they do make them. LImited selection, but available and this is a metro area. I'd think in an agric area they would have more selection. Try any farm supply store also. TSC, Mills, etc.

Buy the hose and fittings from same place, though. They need to match. For lower pressures (under 3000 psi) and infrequent use, many fittings can be put on many hoses, but the crimper won't have the proper crimp diameter data if the parts aren't from same vendor. I'd be surprised they even would crimp a mix and match for liability reasons.

JIC is the common term for 37 degree flare fittings, although strictly speaking JIC (Joint Industrial Council) as an organization folded decades ago. The standards making was taken over by SAE. The correct term would be SAE 37 d flare, but probably 95% people in the industry still call them JIC.

JIC flare is probably the most common connection in the world, simply becasue so much hydraulic equipment was made here. Now, o-ring face seal is taking over here, and metric assorted versions the rest of the world.

And, yes, PLEASE use adaptors and get away from tapered pipe threads (NPT National Pipe Tapered) if possible. NPT is a PITA. I find it funny that Northern sells adaptors to change o-ring ports on cylinders and pumps TO npt simply because more people are familiar with pipe threads. If possible, use o-ring ports, JIC flares, etc.

Side topic for NPT: NPT as used on most hose ends will screw into any NPT female port. They also usually have a chamfer on the inside to screw into swivel adaptors. (Not actual swivels in operation, just swivel for assembling and tightening) Swivel adaptors have a male cone shape on the inside that mates with chamfer on the inside of NPT hose ends. They are not intended to take threaded pipe nipples, as the internal chamfer is not there. Nipples are deburred, but the taper is not precisely controlled in any way.

Aeroquip (part of Eaton) has a neat little booklet on threads and connections covering those in use in most countries of the world. Publication number is JA110 and on the Eaton site. I will try and add an address tomorrow, don't have it here at home.

k

Latest posts

Back