Game of Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatermark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got the news this afternoon that I made it into a Game of Logging I and II course in a couple of weeks. I am psyched :hmm3grin2orange: !

Had to share my excitement! Thanks!

Mark, Kinda new here, what is the game of logging course? Is it a truely instructive course or more of a competition?

The GOL is a hands on training course for timber falling , skidding , forwarder operation , chainsaw maint. etc.. Very very good course to get into and yes they also have chainsaw competions .. winners get new chainsaw and some money :) always a plus but nevertheless it's well worth getting into the course. Soren is the man , do a web search for " Game of Logging "

Later Rob

cool

Congratulations, I think anybody could learn alot from GOL those guys have alot of knowledge. Still like falling my trees Humbolt style though.

NORMZILLA44 said:
Still like falling my trees Humbolt style though.
What other way is there? In the logging business that is and it ain't a game. If you are a not a logger,or at least have nothing against logging, don't answer.

Clearance ,

I'm a logger and have been for years , here in the Northeast there are'nt many who use the humbolt notch thats really more of a Western way of cutting . The logging company I work for has strict guidlines on falling timber we have to use the open face notch . It is considered the safest felling method as the timber stays attached to the stump until it hits the ground , instead of a conventional or humbolt were the hinge woods breaks before coming in contact with the ground . The GOL teaches you to use the open face felling method and truthfully I believe it is the safest and you have the most control on where the tree will fall with it .

The West Coast guys have there way and us here in the Northeast have our way , just like west using yarders and high lines to yard would and we use cable and grapple skidders and forwarders .. Differnt way of doing things thats all . And anyone in the logging biz knows it's not a game but the GOL is a excellent training course to take

Later Rob

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I think this is a great place to discuss the Game of Logging since I am sure there are a lot of folks here interested in learning more about how to work with a chainsaw etc. and I know I sure am. I have even heard even those with a lot of experience can still gain a lot from these courses.

This is the home site for the GOL:

http://www.gameoflogging.com/

These are the folks that have really taken over offering courses in the Northeast:

http://www.woodlandtraining.com/

I must admit, I don't know if these courses are offered in the Northwest, and I don't know if there is a similar organization that accomplishes the same thing.

best

Boater:

Look at things from the perspective of where they came from and what they're intended for.
Open Face cutting is a production technique for small timber that came from Scandinavia. You can just bet that it works well there and that where it has caught on in elsewhere involves similar needs.

Same thoughts for other techniques in their locales.

Just put in the back of your head, that what you are about to be taught might have limited application elsewhere and not be as safe in another environment.

That doesn't mean that everyone can't still learn more and find at least an occasional use for a variety of cutting knowledge tools that are from elsewhere. Understood.

Just don't lock in, stay open.
Enjoy.

Smokechase,

Hmmm, not really what I meant I don't think. I certainly understand what you are saying, and of course, I always try to keep an open mind and learn new things.

So, to march to that tune, are there organizations in the Northwest that teach chainsaw use and other logging techniques used in that region, and provide certifications for professional loggers? If so, what/who are they and how can I learn more about them?

Thanks!

Back