Gas Can Score : )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I stopped by Roses today and they had lots of 2 and 5 gal cans without those crappy trigger spouts : )

But those are still the self venting ones. IMHO they are just as crappy as the ones with the valve in the nozzle. I am still searching for more of the old rubbermaid triangle cans with the seperate vent.

They are still better that those trigger contraption ones. I've got some of the old rubbermaids too. Only place to find them now are yard sales.

They are still better that those trigger contraption ones. I've got some of the old rubbermaids too. Only place to find them now are yard sales.

Agreed. I had my first experience with one of those trigger contraption cans at our VFD. Took me a bit to figure out how it worked...what a pain in the hind quarters :mad: .

Kevin

I had a gas can rant thread going a while back, I ended up making my own spout from old parts I kept from some of my other cans. I also scored one of the good metal ones w/ screw on lids, and a short spout built into the can. I got it from my neighbor's barn. What is the world coming to when you can't own a simple gas can anymore?

use some imagination!

some JB weld, and make something better!

Sorry, I don't have pix handy, and can get some if needed.

I made a washer out of thick aluminum and treaded/sealed a nipple into it. Replaced the crap spigot with this and stuck a piece of 3/8 fuel line on it. Plug for the end, and there it is. Simple, secure and way easy to fill a saw with. My old jug has a vent on the other side if needed. Just squeeze it a few times and it works for me.

What's wrong with the self-venters through the spout? I've got one, its my favorate can. Those screw-on vents on the back opposite side of the spout always cross-thread and become useless.

What's wrong with the self-venters through the spout? I've got one, its my favorate can. Those screw-on vents on the back opposite side of the spout always cross-thread and become useless.

They gurgle and don't pour worth a shat. I personally prefer the vented rubbermaid cans due to the fact they are the most stable cans I have ever found.

I would like to have a gas can for mix that is unique, different than anything else in my garage. My son carried in some gas the other day to use on the splitter and left a 1 gal can just like my mix can. I nearly straight gassed the Stihl, now that would suck. It would be great if you could find a green (in color) 1 gal can for the saw, but can't find anything like that. Any body got any ideas?......Lanny

I have the old Chltons plastics red cans, yellow spouts. Searching for more on garage sales.

Plastic tags held onto the handles with tyraps for gas (92 unleaded or 101 race).

Premix cans have duct tape wrapped allong the handle as well as the tags (50:1 saws and small engines, 60:1 air cooled trials, 80:1 water cooled trials)

oil goes in first, then gas blends.

If i confuse blends maybe not so bad, But any two cycle needs a can with duct taped handle.......... no duct tape, it is straight gas.

I would like to have a gas can for mix that is unique, different than anything else in my garage. My son carried in some gas the other day to use on the splitter and left a 1 gal can just like my mix can. I nearly straight gassed the Stihl, now that would suck. It would be great if you could find a green (in color) 1 gal can for the saw, but can't find anything like that. Any body got any ideas?......Lanny

Lanny,

I don't know the laws in your state, but in Wisconsin gasoline MUST be dispensed and stored in a red can. A green gas can means it contains kerosene. Best bet would be to just use a permanent marker and label your red gas can "Saw Only" or "Saw Mix" or something like that.

Shari

Last edited:
I bought one of the new trigger spout cans because that seems to be all thaTs available now, and hated it big piece of crap $^$*^^*#(*&@
but one day a log fell on it and broke off the safety switch and now i like it pretty well.

i bought one of the trigger ones for my saw gas. took me a bit to figure it out lol. but i have to say i acutally like it for the saws. i wouldnt use it to fill the tractor or anything like that. but for the little gas the saw takes i like it alot. keeps me from spilling it and if it tips over it dosent leak everywhere like my old can does.

My Husky dealer/Hardware has a stash of the old Rubbermaid cans, and a few of the old steel cans.

If any of ya are serious, I'll ask if they could ship 'em.

I hate the stupid gurgling cans with a passion.

All of my diesel cans ended up getting stabbed at the top rear where a vent should be.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My Husky dealer/Hardware has a stash of the old Rubbermaid cans, and a few of the old steel cans.

If any of ya are serious, I'll ask if they could ship 'em.

I hate the stupid gurgling cans with a passion.

All of my diesel cans ended up getting stabbed at the top rear where a vent should be.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The one I hate is the awful safety linkage bs can it leaks if it turns on its side and is hello on pouring and I can't understand the engineered stupidity of such a contraption in the name of safety turning over and drenching the truck in fuel and safe don't mix. I would like to shove it up the designers azz:monkey:

The one I hate is the awful safety linkage bs can it leaks if it turns on its side and is hello on pouring and I can't understand the engineered stupidity of such a contraption in the name of safety turning over and drenching the truck in fuel and safe don't mix. I would like to shove it up the designers azz:monkey:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

You're gonna grind your teeth, but my favorite old can is a 2.5 gal old school I lost the spout cap for.

While diggin' around in the hardware the other day I found a box of walking cane replacement ends. BINGO!!!!

Slides on and off like it was made for it, and dosn't leak when tipped over.
39 cents and the old Girl is back in the bed of the truck hauling pre-mix.

CRAP! I just put a dozen engineers outta work.;)

I hear ya Rope!
If Engineers and the safety geeks designed the human body, we would all explode trying to take a leak!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I mark my STIHL gas can with a permanent sharpie... no mistaking the can then.. I have 6 different cans here 4 all identical. Only one has STIHL mix on it the other has HOMLITE MIX..the regular gas in the rest has nothing.. no mistakes

Is there any way to "modify" the trigger spouts to be more "user-friendly"?....(How did y'all like that language!)

Back