I'm thinking I like Stihl again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and finally bought a 400 today. In a rush and only ran maybe a half tank of gas through it. This is going to be a cutting sob when she breaks in. I can see it also being my main go to saw. The Aussie was just there to photo bomb. He likes the camera.

Attachments

• 20240204_165144 - Copy.jpg
    20240204_165144 - Copy.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I don’t know why anyone would even consider buying a 362 over the 400. The 400 is $170 dollars more but your getting 8cc more displacement. Doesn’t seem like much but it definitely makes a difference.
I picked up both before I bought the 400. Just the feel and balance of the 400 made up for the small weight difference. Plus the extra 8 ccs.

That is also a gorgeous dog. I wish I owned that Aussie and he was running around my backyard. :surprised3:
We do and ours is 11 years old and still acts like a pup. and he's very smart as well. He knows just what it takers to get a treat. He loves bacon bits among other stuff and sleeps with us on the bed every night so he can get his scratching. We have had a number of pups in the last 37 years and I have to say that Wyatt is about the smartest one we have ever had.

Far as Stihl saws go, I like them as well but I like Echo's a bit better because overall their price point is quite a bit less and their consumer warranty is also better. Have 3 Stihl's including the ancient 47 year old 028 that just keeps on running like it's new. I will most likely replace the crank seals and fuel and impulse hoses this summer. 47+ years is an exceptionally long run for any 2 stroke. Last time I looked in the exhaust port, the piston was still almost pristine as was the bore, rings were floating too.

I don't know if you were reading the 400 thread that I had going, but I bought one too a little while back. It continues to be a pleasure to run - lots of good smooth power. If I had to compare it with a car, I'd say it was a 66 Ford Thunderbird (or a Buick of that era). Not the fastest car at the time but strong power giving one hell of a smooth ride through the entire power band, and it easily cuts any tree I put at it when burying the 20" bar it came with. I haven't bogged it yet. I'm sure there's a big old black locust (or similar) out there that may give it a challenge, but I would expect that and ease through that kind of wood.

Looks like the Stihl MS400 is about the same power as the 441c M-Tronic that I own and run but about 2 Lb lighter in weight. I really like my 441c M-tronic:
1707177689248.jpegIt pulls a 25" bar with ease. My361 has trouble doing that. Once again, I saved about $500 by rebuilding the top end on this saw rather than buying a new one. Original owner said "Fix it and you have yourself a running saw." So, that is exactly what I did.

A 25" STIHL Light bar has great balance, strength, and is the lightest 25" bar for that saw.

Just got a STIHL 20" ES bar and 8-pin sprocket, it should really rip due to the light magnesium piston giving it high speed and the M-TRONIC giving it great torque for the cylinder size.

The powerhead does vibrate like a mad man though the anti-vibe soakes it up. Basically a factory race engine that should last nearly as long as a 462.

It is not a 662, it doesn't have the torque, but it's way lighter, especially with a STIHL Light bar.

20240206_063926.jpg

Good looking wood. Do you folks up that way have any live ash trees left? We have a few.
Not many. Cutting them as fast as I can. I see @ballisticdoughnut posted the outer dawg number. Here's the bolts and nuts numbers if you go that route.
20240206_074114.jpg20240206_074106.jpg

Back