I'm thinking I like Stihl again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't found a need for the outer dawg, though am open to feedback regarding sticking one on. Seems like a silly question to ask "what's the difference," but...what's the difference? 😄

Just got the rest of the spare parts from the dealer...I don't expect to need them, but they're inexpensive insurance just in case something does go "pop" or "squee" or whatever. I could hit an insanely hard nail, barbed wire, or something unexpected...last unexpected thing was a 22 bullet, sawed right through it like it wasn't there and saw "something odd" looking about the wood...bullet.

1707228286214.png

I've yet to run one myself but being real close to the 462 in weight, it's hard for me to justify it already owning more than one 462. Yet to hear anybody speak poorly of the 400. 🔥
The only reason I have the 400 is my 462 got stolen. 400 was the biggest saw my dealer had during the Chineseium flu. Got the 462 back luckily but only use it now for big stuff.

Took my new 462 for a quick spin after work today. I've never owned a Stihl saw, but my first impressions are good. I have owned several 372's, so this thing has big shoes to fill. If you notice the bar cover and chain, I haven't completely abandoned my roots, but time will tell.

20240206_161507.jpg20240206_162018.jpg20240206_162240.jpg

Took my new 462 for a quick spin after work today. I've never owned a Stihl saw, but my first impressions are good. I have owned several 372's, so this thing has big shoes to fill. If you notice the bar cover and chain, I haven't completely abandoned my roots, but time will tell.

View attachment 1151250View attachment 1151252View attachment 1151253
Looks like a 20" light bar from here. That's a pretty fast combination on that saw. I go back and forth between 20's and 24's on my own 462 depending on my mood that day. Good stuff.!

Looks like a 20" light bar from here. That's a pretty fast combination on that saw. I go back and forth between 20's and 24's on my own 462 depending on my mood that day. Good stuff.!
As a note, a 20" Light bar:
  • might swing the over-all balance too far too the rear
  • could be sort enough you'll spend the extra money for the Light bar and not notice a difference vs. the standard bar
  • find the setup is awesome for you
The MS400 wears a 20" standard bar well, 25" Light bar equally well, but I don't have a MS462 so can't offer more than "something to think about."

As a note, a 20" Light bar:
  • might swing the over-all balance too far too the rear
  • could be sort enough you'll spend the extra money for the Light bar and not notice a difference vs. the standard bar
  • find the setup is awesome for you
The MS400 wears a 20" standard bar well, 25" Light bar equally well, but I don't have a MS462 so can't offer more than "something to think about."
Not at all, it sets level. I would have gone standard weight at 20", but the price was right.

A 25" STIHL Light bar has great balance, strength, and is the lightest 25" bar for that saw.

Just got a STIHL 20" ES bar and 8-pin sprocket, it should really rip due to the light magnesium piston giving it high speed and the M-TRONIC giving it great torque for the cylinder size.

The powerhead does vibrate like a mad man though the anti-vibe soakes it up. Basically a factory race engine that should last nearly as long as a 462.

It is not a 662, it doesn't have the torque, but it's way lighter, especially with a STIHL Light bar.

View attachment 1151102
My 400 doesn't seem to vibrate as much as other 50CC-70CC saws that I have had/run.

Nearly 40 years ago, I used to run an 090 (137 CC) in a chainsaw mill. That was a smooth running saw for the power it had. It could rip 36" trees all day long. It was also good for dealing with hard old 60" Douglas firs and cutting big shake bolts. I could bury the bar on anything just grind grind right through.

Back