gas not older than 3 weeks for my husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1982 I bought one of the first water cooled dirt bikes YZ250. on the first page of the manual it said (took up the whole page) "Do Not Run Premix More Than 45 MINUTES OLD" and it meant it. I would never ride that F'r more than a mile from the truck cause I'd probably have to push it back:msp_angry: a fresh spark plug wasn't the cure, had to get fresher fuel:msp_angry:

But in my saws, weed whackers, Blowers etc I'll use month old fuel without worry. Keep it stored in the shade where it doesn't cycle thermally up/down allot every day and it's usually fine.

I think 3 wks is the worst worse case scenario (bad gas, no stabilizer, bad climate and exposed storage site). Good quality gas, w/ a decent stabilizer (either in the oil or added), stored in a good airtight can in a cool area should be good for much longer than 3 wks. I'd say 3 months.

I think using a stabilizer, especially one such as Marine Sta-Bil, will both help with the ethanol concerns and also give some extended life....

For longer-term straight gas storage, check out a product called
'Pri-G' (diesel version is 'Pri-D' ). Better properties than Sta-Bil, and also advertises that it will rejuvenate stale gas.....

Pri is great stuff.

You guys do realize that all fuel is pretty much the same. There are few refineries and the fuel all comes through the same pipelines. In general, all additives are present in all fuel and brand name fuels have agreements to promote their particular package. I have a fellow in my Sunday school class that is in charge of the largest independent gas jobber east of the Mississippi. He and I were discussing fuel recently at a supper. The company he works for owns stations that are branded Exxon and Shell, as well as about 120 that are store brands. All of their fuels come from the same spigot. He says this is not a unique situation.

As with the overwhelming majority of things that expire, there is a spectrum of conditions from when it is new and when it is totally expired. 1 week old gas is "better" than three week old gas, and 2 month old gas is clearly worse than 3 week old gas.

It used to be 90 days, now most people (and instruction manuals) are saying use it within a month.

If you have a truck or lawnmower, you can just throw the mix in there without any consequence.

I agree that the varying age of the gas will affect it's quality. I haven't had any issues in any of my equipment running gas from a previous season, and the snowmobile fires right up every year, but it may come back and bite me one of these years.

On the "throw it in the lawnmower without any consequence" comment - depending on the fuel the darn thing might just not run at all :msp_tongue: See it all the time. "But I dumped it all out and put fresh gas in it!" Dumping it out doesn't always get rid of water left in the bottom and clinging to the walls of the tank. Nor does it clean water out of the carburetor - which often has to be blown out in order to run.

Cut more wood = Use more fuel = No worries = Problem Solved.

Glad I could help. :msp_biggrin:

LOL, certainly nothing debatable there! Gotta love that logic!

The owners manual says the lowest recommended octane rating is 87.
If I remember right, when I bought it the guy said that over time the octane would go down a little, hence the premium gas, and also the need to keep it relatively fresh.

Anyways, thanks for the tips.

Latest posts

Back