Gave the little saw a workout today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
Didn't have to watch the kid today until late afternoon, which means one thing: quick,jamabunchofstuffinanddon'tstopmoving!!

Rolled out of bed, instructed the coffee maker to do it's thing, baked some biscuits, fried some sausage, and inhaled some calories!

rIbmV.jpg

Then it was out the door to play storm cleanup...

kzl28.jpg

3QkB1.jpg

The chickens seem glad to get out and stretch after they'd been snowed in.

WYD3A.jpg

Once all that was out of the way, out came the saw :chainsaw: Figured I might as well start knocking out that new access road on the other side of the property I've been meaning to do; skidding logs through the yard is a little hard on the grass...

1jMMF.jpg

WSpKu.jpg

My supervisor was with me the whole time making sure I was staying on task.

eTMqa.jpg

Then it was on to some spring cleaning.

jZNwM.jpg

L3oMi.jpg

A lot of time spent crawling around in the snow, but damn it was nice to get it done!!

You may be thinking, how in the hell is this relevant to firewooding and heating???

Well, I'll pose these potentially weak arguments: 1) the access road's sole purpose is to transport firewood, and 2) all of the downed brush/trees too small to hassle with, and 100% of the pine will be bonfired into heat :D

Now, where's that beer...

Well, heck yeah it's firewood related.

Snow is cold. Cold means heat is needed. Heat comes from wood. Geez!!

Good to see ya getting out and playing some!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Good job ! The sausage and buscuits caught my eye.

Your dog looks like he's very happy :msp_tongue:

It don't get any better than that !:rock:

Well actually it does ! We'll leave it there.

Woke up with something 'visiting' me yesterday. That crude in the throat feeling. Blew off Sat. morning yoga class and headed outside and fired up the splitter til early afternoon. A bit windy, wet, every thing covered with a heavy snow, but just what my sinuses needed...... fresh air and a little hard work. Later we went to an outdoor potluck/beer tasting a small group of home brewers put together. Open fire, smoked/grilled chicken to die for, lots of foods, and a dozen different beers. Osage Orange firewood? Never seen any wood so hard and burn so long or hot. A guy set a beer bottle in the fire and it melted. Went home feeling great and smelling like campfire. The outbuilding was a 12' x 16' small unfinished structure (one wall to go) made of cedar cordwood splits, with mortar, walls within a post and beam framework, stress skin insulated panels for the roof. Really beautiful structure; man what a lot of work. Today... back to splitting the first two cord that is blocked up of the twenty cord load.

It like you have a lot of woods around you. Anywhere near the state forest?

Yep! About a 1/4 mile south of the Allegan State Game Area.

Woke up with something 'visiting' me yesterday. That crude in the throat feeling.

Our household has been fighting that :(

Getting some fresh air and not thinking about yesterday definitely did me some good!

Pics!

Woke up with something 'visiting' me yesterday. That crude in the throat feeling. Blew off Sat. morning yoga class and headed outside and fired up the splitter til early afternoon. A bit windy, wet, every thing covered with a heavy snow, but just what my sinuses needed...... fresh air and a little hard work. Later we went to an outdoor potluck/beer tasting a small group of home brewers put together. Open fire, smoked/grilled chicken to die for, lots of foods, and a dozen different beers. Osage Orange firewood? Never seen any wood so hard and burn so long or hot. A guy set a beer bottle in the fire and it melted. Went home feeling great and smelling like campfire. The outbuilding was a 12' x 16' small unfinished structure (one wall to go) made of cedar cordwood splits, with mortar, walls within a post and beam framework, stress skin insulated panels for the roof. Really beautiful structure; man what a lot of work. Today... back to splitting the first two cord that is blocked up of the twenty cord load.

Pics of the cordwood masonry shed! No teasing, show us what it looks like. I love that style of construction. Above ground bunker, way cool stuff.

Zogger; Might take a day or two but I'll get some pics of the cord wood construction. They used mortar on the outside, and on the inside. In the middle I believe there is an air space filled with Perlite (?) a type of concrete block insulation that is poured in the void.

Zogger; Might take a day or two but I'll get some pics of the cord wood construction. They used mortar on the outside, and on the inside. In the middle I believe there is an air space filled with Perlite (?) a type of concrete block insulation that is poured in the void.

Cool, thanks! Just don't go out of your way to do that, I was just thinking you had taken some pics while you were at that gathering. Wanted the other guys to see this sort of build, if they hadn't seen it before. There's several variants, they are all slick.

Did some more cutting today while the wife started dragging trees over to the bonfire pit. Then I started piling things up, stopping every so often to cut through the mess with the long bar; gotta make it compact and dense for an atomic fire! :hmm3grin2orange:

Here's the start. As it sits, it's roughly 25 feet across :D

mzbd4.jpg

Latest posts

Back