GB bars how are they?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both Stihl ES and GB Pro-Top & Ti bars in 16-24 inch 3/8 size. I like the GB bars better, and they bend and flex and hold up really well. They also have less of an oval shape than the ES bars. The Stihls are .063 so they may be wearing faster becasue the rails are thinner. The GBs are all .050.

Anyway, for the money, the GB bars are good. I have pinched them in big trees, bent them and bent them back, and no cracks, or permanent damage. Hell, you cannot even tell where the bars were bent. They have held up well. I have cut a lot of firs, redwoods, oaks and maples with them.

:clap:

The Stihls are .063 so they may be wearing faster because the rails are thinner. The GBs are all .050.

I hope your saying that your es bars are .063. There for a second I was thinking you were stateing that all es bars are .063.. All mine are .050, and to be honest, I've never had an ES, or a GB in .063 so I couldn't compare the quality of different bars in .063. I have 2 bars in .063, and they are oregon's, and on saws that I rarely use.

Last edited:
I log and use GB bars and Stihl bars. I personally can't tell any difference between the Stihl and the GBs, except that the GBs are much cheaper.

I have bent them and bored a slot in the next tree and bent it back and now I can't tell which bar I did it to. The tips have been bent back and for and still no problem. The amish loggers I purchased several for all still have the same bars and this year still and that was over 1.5 years ago and they cut a lot of wood in Wisconsin and IA.

I am not knocking Stihls as they make quality products, but I can't fault the GBs for less money and so after the first bar that comes with each Stihl gets used up a GB replaces it and I have several of each length.

It seems to me that the GBs "lip up" quickly then get real hard and then don't seem to wear anymore. After you file or grind that first lip off, they are broken in and ready for a lot of cutting thereafter.

My opinion,

Sam

Amish loggers

I grew up among the Amish in Holmes County, OHio. A good friend runs an Amish sawmill, diesel powered. Amish dont OWN cars and use electricity in their homes. They will ride in a car, and small engines run the washing machine etc at home. My local chainsaw shop was Amish owned and staffed---used to have gas lights there!! Lots of different rules in different communities. Too much modernity leads to assimilation... something like that. Wow what a hard working bunch as a whole. al

I'm thinking of getting one for my 575XP, because it will match the saw and also nobody else around here runs them, everybody here runs Oregon or Stihl bars.

Back