GB double ender

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trever

GB mill 076 Super Stihl
Reaction score
I can't wait!!! I came home yesterday and my wife's gift to me is a new GB 44" double end mill. I have a 075 w/ a 36" bar for it. I will use my Beam Machine as an edger.
Anyone have a preference on guide rails? I had planned on using 2Xs, but would like to hear other suggestions. I have heard of people using ladders, but have never saw it done. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Trever:greenchainsaw:

Congrats

on your new mill. I purchased a 66 inch double ended mill a couple of weeks ago. I hope to get it set up and run it next week. I have been reading everything I can find about chainsaw milling. Never done this before. I think I am going to use unistrut for my guide rails. Looks like the a good way from the posts I have read here. What kind of bar do you have? With the double ended mill you need a bar with a hole in the end to bolt the bar to the "other" powerhead mount. I also have figured out you will loose 10 to 12 inches of bar length with the double ended mill (unless I'm doing something wrong).

Bar

on your new mill. I purchased a 66 inch double ended mill a couple of weeks ago. I hope to get it set up and run it next week. I have been reading everything I can find about chainsaw milling. Never done this before. I think I am going to use unistrut for my guide rails. Looks like the a good way from the posts I have read here. What kind of bar do you have? With the double ended mill you need a bar with a hole in the end to bolt the bar to the "other" powerhead mount. I also have figured out you will loose 10 to 12 inches of bar length with the double ended mill (unless I'm doing something wrong).

I have a 36" Roll Matic and 42" Carlton Hard tip. Supposedly, this mill has a helper handle (not a Stinger), bar nose (hand) protector, and the drip system. I will let you know. If need be, I am a shop supervisor with a industrial drill press. Thank you and have a blessed day. Where did you get your mill? I received mine from Holms Merchandise.

Trever:greenchainsaw:

Trever

Have fun you'll like it. Funny you mention Holms i'm assuming off of ebay About a year ago I tried to order one from the same guy and was told he was "out of business" but that their were plenty of other fine merchants that would sell me a GB mill. It seemed a little funny to me I tried to contact him again cuz I couldn't find ANY other merchants that carried them on ebay I was pretty bummed then I recently noticed he is still online and selling HMMM?? I don't know if it was a roundabout way of saying I didn't have much history so I was a questionable customer or what at least thats all I can think of which I understand but seemed fishy if you got your though much be on the up and up. Anyway if you want another place to get parts I will pass this on as aggiewoodbtch passed it on to me its a place called Stens google it they carry all the same sawmills and all the part here it the USA. Good luck and be safe can't wait to see the pics!! Welcome

Unistrut or the stuff sliding doors roll on are the way to go.Two pieces of angle iron with various holes in them allow you to vary the width of your rails as well.

The unistrut imo is the best but a 2x8 will work too just don't hit the nails.

I heard about the unistrut here, and picked some up at Lowe's and it works great. There is a little flex in it if you don't get it to sit on the log and support it, but it's not bad. I drilled through the middle and inserted a section of allthread with nuts on all sides, and so keep the side to side flex to a minimum. I especially like the holes every 3 inches or so, so the aluminum cross pieces (that I got from Granberg) can be easily adjusted to the length of the log.

Stens

Have fun you'll like it. Funny you mention Holms i'm assuming off of ebay About a year ago I tried to order one from the same guy and was told he was "out of business" but that their were plenty of other fine merchants that would sell me a GB mill. It seemed a little funny to me I tried to contact him again cuz I couldn't find ANY other merchants that carried them on ebay I was pretty bummed then I recently noticed he is still online and selling HMMM?? I don't know if it was a roundabout way of saying I didn't have much history so I was a questionable customer or what at least thats all I can think of which I understand but seemed fishy if you got your though much be on the up and up. Anyway if you want another place to get parts I will pass this on as aggiewoodbtch passed it on to me its a place called Stens google it they carry all the same sawmills and all the part here it the USA. Good luck and be safe can't wait to see the pics!! Welcome

Stens is great! I am a dealer now, but Holms had it cheaper than my dealer price! I had to go his route this time, but he told me that this was older stock that he has had a while. He told me when he ran out, the prices would go up. If anyone is interested check the bay, he might have some more. I am going to use unistrut and all thread for my guide rails. Have a blessed day and thank you for your reply.

Great advise

I appreciate everyone's input and advise. I think I have a plan. My 44" GB mill using unistrut/ all thread guide rails for infinite lengths/ widths on the 1st and 2nd cuts. My beam machine on the 3rd and 4th cuts (edger). I will let you know how it goes after Christmas.

Trever

So what do you guys think it was when I tried to buy one?? The only thing I bought off ebay was a Les Paul could it be I didn't have enough transactions? I was pretty put off by the whole deal mostly because I would have appreciated him just saying the real reason not that he's going out of business and wasn't selling anymore.. I got one anyways I guess, i'm just not too ebay savy and never got a answer that made much sense since he's still selling?????

Irishcountry

I don't know about your issue with Holms on ebay. I have never run into anything like that. ebay can be goofy. I see alot of things that don't make sense on ebay. Maybe he was going to close out and changed his mind later? Maybe he did not have enough stock to fill your order? I don't have a clue.

Holms

I agree. He was easy to work with and a fast shipper! I had a good experience with him, and I got a great price that I could not beat buying with my Stens dealer account! I looked the other day for a GB Mill on Ebay, but did not find one. ????? I was pricing 1/2" X 3' all-thread and 14 gauge 10' uni-strut at Lowe's this morning. I will price the at the local steel yard on Monday; I am sure it will be cheaper. I guess I will drill 2 holes at the end of each uni-strut section and 2 holes on each end of 12"x 1" steel strapping. I will use the strapping to butt ends of uni-strut for long beams. I will use a 2x6block or 3" angle iron for attaching the uni-strut to the log ends. Have a blessed day.

Pictures please

Guys

Very interesting talk, but some photos would be great, as I have just got a 60" bar for my Stihl 090 and 3120 and I am looking at ideas for the sort of mill to build and material.

Pictures forth coming

I will post pictures and step by step details when I build the uni-strut guide rails. Thank you for your interest. Have a blessed day.

You could save some wear and tear on your keyboard if you would quit blessing everyone's day.

Good luck with your mill,
Ian

Blessings are from God

You could save some wear and tear on your keyboard if you would quit blessing everyone's day.

Good luck with your mill,
Ian

Ian,

I will post some progress reports and pictures as I start milling with the GB. Mankind can be a blessing to others. Everything good (blessings) comes from Him and bad comes from evil (sin). We are all sinful from birth, and need a Mediator (Advocate) and His name is Jesus. Jesus is the Truth and Life and no one comes to the Father except through the Son. I choose a life of joy instead of bitterness. This is possible through my relationship with Christ, His spirit dwells within me and all that believe in Him and call upon His name. Please PM me if you have questions. Thank you and have a blessed day.

:)

The mill is ready!!

I assembled the mill and mounted my 075. I bought a pressure treated 2X8X16' today for the White Pines I need mill. Hopefully, I might get a chance to mill tomorrow if it doesn't rain. If not, I will next week. Alot more pictures to come.

I will build the uni-strut rail guides in the near future. I have to do some shopping around for it. What gauge steel works best; 12 gauge? Thank you all and hope you had a blessed and Merry Christmas.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back