Gearing up a box trailer to work out of.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose IBEW

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 7x16' box trailer so Idecided to make a mobile shop out of it with the primary use being tree work. I can put in some other gang boxes I have and be ready to do electrical work and am working on a gasoline powered welder/generator so I can be a mobile welder as well.

I have piped in lights and outlets so I can plug in with a cord and have 120 volts, mounted a bench with storage drawers and shelves behind locking doors, installed a small Craftsman upright tool box, made a wooden work bench that goes across the nose with a Wilton vise, put some u style hooks for rope stowage and such, found a spot for a 28' extension ladder that is not in the way of too much, and started to make some custom shelves to maximize the space I have available. I have a 120 volt compressor that will be installed as well. Air should be handy.:msp_thumbsup:

There is enough room to haul a small grinder in the rear. It has been useful for keeping your stuff locked when working in the city, getting out of the rain or snow to change out of soak en wet clothes, awesome for general saw maintenance and with a small porta potty, will be a discreet way to relieve yourself when needed. The only thing I can think of is how nice air may be in the summer months.

Yeah, then you can put a lawn mower and string trimmer in the back and do lawns too, a garbage bin so you can do rubbish collections, maybe a cement mixer, a pressure washer and a ladder so you can clean gutters. Why not round it out a little further and add a coffee machine so you can make a few extra bucks while you're on the job? They got that new alkaline water stuff too, that can be a good seller. Or door to door vacuums. What about encyclopedia sales? You don't get many sales, but the profits are huge! Don't forget to put a mattress in there too so you got some place to sleep. Not too close to the porta potti though.

Shaun

Last edited:
I have a 7x16' box trailer so Idecided to make a mobile shop out of it with the primary use being tree work. I can put in some other gang boxes I have and be ready to do electrical work and am working on a gasoline powered welder/generator so I can be a mobile welder as well.

I have piped in lights and outlets so I can plug in with a cord and have 120 volts, mounted a bench with storage drawers and shelves behind locking doors, installed a small Craftsman upright tool box, made a wooden work bench that goes across the nose with a Wilton vise, put some u style hooks for rope stowage and such, found a spot for a 28' extension ladder that is not in the way of too much, and started to make some custom shelves to maximize the space I have available. I have a 120 volt compressor that will be installed as well. Air should be handy.:msp_thumbsup:

There is enough room to haul a small grinder in the rear. It has been useful for keeping your stuff locked when working in the city, getting out of the rain or snow to change out of soak en wet clothes, awesome for general saw maintenance and with a small porta potty, will be a discreet way to relieve yourself when needed. The only thing I can think of is how nice air may be in the summer months.

Nice job, I have seen similar units and thought of doing the same. Post more pictures as it comes together.. :biggrin:

Looking good. That is going to be really handy for you. I waited a long time to get an enclosed trailer for my stumpgrinding business, and it has worked out great. Nothing like having a secure place for your stuff, as well as a mobile parts room and workshop.
Post some photos when you get it all rigged out.
Jeff

I have a 20' enclosed trailer for my mowing operations. I wouldnt want to have to drag enclosed trailer to my tree jobs. I have enough stuff to tow to them, plus alot of times parking spaces are tight or hard to come by. I know 101 carrys his grinder and mini in a enclosed trailer.

Why would you need a welder, and air compressor?

I carry a 10 gallon air tank for flat tires in my mower trailer. I have only used it a handful of times in 7 years.

The air compressor is a small 120v unit with 12 gallon tank, a good sized 120 volt power inverter in the truck will run it. Air is handy, clean saws off, flats, adjusting the air bags on the truck, its easier when you know you don't have to be stingy with it. The welder would not be carried daily, the idea is that if you mess up a grapple on a land clearing job for example, you can bring out the welder and fix it on site instead of bringing the machine back to the shop. It could save a day of down time.

The coffee pot is a good idea, already thought of that. Microwave too. Nothing like some nice warm leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes on a cold day.:hmm3grin2orange:

The air compressor is a small 120v unit with 12 gallon tank, a good sized 120 volt power inverter in the truck will run it. Air is handy, clean saws off, flats, adjusting the air bags on the truck, its easier when you know you don't have to be stingy with it. The welder would not be carried daily, the idea is that if you mess up a grapple on a land clearing job for example, you can bring out the welder and fix it on site instead of bringing the machine back to the shop. It could save a day of down time.

The coffee pot is a good idea, already thought of that. Microwave too. Nothing like some nice warm leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes on a cold day.:hmm3grin2orange:

there is now way a 110V welder is going to have a hot enough arc to fix a grapple bucket...

Latest posts

Back