Gecko Carbon fiber spikes!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
take some sticky grip paper (sand paper) attach it to the part under your feet

problem solved

but even with a logger boot heel the shank is thick and contacts the limbs when stepping on them.

Hmmm.. just how thick is it..!! Is it over 1/4"? Just wondering.. but that would seem pretty thick .. trying to get a grasp on this.. if this is only issue may not be huge though.

to answer some questions:
Treeclimber57- The stirrup thickness runs from .500 on the instep to .450 towards the outer edge of your boot (1/2" to a fat 7/16"). it is also 1.5" inches from heel forward. I may be mistaken but I believe the aluminum Gecko's have fine ridges or serrations on the bottom. I will check to confirm that next time I am in Vermeer.

Freeweight- I have considered using some of the self adhesive step traction paper...same as sand paper, but dont know how long it would last and after a short while using the CF Gecko's and just being conscious I have not felt the need. I was just bringing it to Itsmyblood attention to be aware of it before he was surprised.

Jefflovstrom-Maybe it is also my Georgia logger boot, the heel is 2" on the boot but only extends 1-1/4" below the arch of the boot sole. I only wear these as well as the Gecko's when wrecking a tree. Otherwise I'm in a pair of Garmont hiking boots. If you have some valuable input/suggestions on boots it would be appreciated.

Here is a bit of valuable information- Most gaffs are rated to I believe 350lbs. The Gecko's Carbon Fiber and Aluminum are rated to 240lbs. that is gross weight of climber and all gear! So make sure you hit the restroom before spiking that tree!

Hope this was helpful

Last edited:
Thickness

The only time I even notice it is when walking on the ground with them right before i spike up the tree.

Gecko's Carbon Fiber and Aluminum are rated to 240lbs. that is gross weight of climber and all gear![/B] So make sure you hit the restroom before spiking that tree!

Likely a bit of safety overhead built in there.

But at face value.. not sure what saddle, all the crap you tie on, ropes hanging down, saw, maybe if you are doing a bit of work up there (as in some that would add extra load on gaffs..)..

Would not be hard to exceed 240lbs... unless you only weighed 90lbs.

yea thats kinda scary,maybe they are under rated ,...well hopefully they are :)

yea thats kinda scary,maybe they are under rated ,...well hopefully they are :)

You know what.. I am gonna pass on em :)

I have had steel ones, Klein, Buckingham, etc.. for over 30 years now.. and they have worked so far.. suspect I have more years behind me than in front of me at this point so what the heck.. good enough this far so should be ok going forward I figure. Right now have seven or eight pairs in shop.. mix of pole and tree gaffs.. but all steel shank.

And at end of day.. for the most part it is about boots.. buy the best boots you can afford and frankly even a medium priced pair of spurs is quite ok.

Buy a crappy pair of boots, and I doubt the best spurs would feel comfortable.

Well, it makes me wonder if some of you are 'spoiled brat's', and how you would of hanged in the 70's and 80's. Then again, I wish this stuff was around back then! Oh, the dilema!
Jeff :cheers:

Yep.. all we had in the '70s was steel spurs.. leather pads.. belts were leather (some non-leather ones came out late '70s I think) -- but they were heavier.

Not sure if I have any pics of me back then or not. Might dig around and see.

Well, it makes me wonder if some of you are 'spoiled brat's', and how you would of hanged in the 70's and 80's. Then again, I wish this stuff was around back then! Oh, the dilema!
Jeff :cheers:

Even the best boots - were pretty good.. but not up to the best ones today. Having said that they didn't cost quite as much either.

Back