General 2 stoke question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecopland

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a Ryobi strimmer which runs very strongly however when I put it away there is always a small puddle on the floor, of unburned gas which has come from the muffler. I've been undoing the gas cap to releive and pressure but to no avail, so far.

Thanks,

lee

I have a Ryobi strimmer which runs very strongly however when I put it away there is always a small puddle on the floor, of unburned gas which has come from the muffler. I've been undoing the gas cap to releive and pressure but to no avail, so far.

Thanks,

lee

Has the carb been rebuilt? If the fuel is actually going out the exhaust port after shutdown, I see a carb rebuild in its future. As necessary, you'd want to research placement of diaphragms and gaskets, and height setting of diaphragm lever.

Be sure to clean out the carb, and don't hit it with any pressure anywhere beyond a couple of psi. Whenever possible, I defuel all 2-strokes after use. Best wishes.

No idea what carb it has. Some are Walbros, others Zama. If it has a needle and seat, it likely has some debris keeping it from seating properly. Try cleaning or simply replacing it. Clean or replace the screens too while your in there. Good time for fuel line and filter too. Likely find a bunch of white goo on those screens.

After use, I always drain the fuel tank and re-start the machine, then run it @ idle / slightly above, until it dies.
You don't think this is more harmful in several ways? I could see on something that you only use twice a year, but something that sees fairly regular use is not helping anything.

You don't think this is more harmful in several ways? I could see on something that you only use twice a year, but something that sees fairly regular use is not helping anything.

I'm at the point now, that I have become an occasional user. The piece of equip. that gets used the most often, is my FS-250R.

You refuel, drain, and run out of fuel after every use on every piece of equipment?

Got a problem with that? :D That's what I do (DEfuel first) unless I'm planning to run it again within a few weeks.

Besides keeping the fuel fresh and free of water, that cleans the tanks of debris that might get into carb if filter falls off or line breaks.
That is a win-win-win, and a total no-brainer, to me. Some of my 2-strokes really heat up the fuel tanks, so they get run dry or defueled after EVERY time out. Another no-brainer. Takes a few seconds.

Only problem I've encountered: the carb diaphragms on my 2 PP saws need to be wetted with fuel for a while after being stored dry for any period of time. So I partly fuel them a day or more before putting them to work, and purge the air from the diaphragm chamber. Member Spike60 has encountered the same phenomenon with some other saws. No biggie if you anticipate it- life in the 21st century with all those Iowa corn squeezings.

How is that possibly harmful? The saws, hedge clipper, brush cutter and leaf blower are fine with that.

if it is unburnt gas like you say i very much doubt it is coming through the muffler. it is most likely where the fuel lines/purge lines exit the tank, where lines connect to purge bulb or the purge bulb itself. could also be fuel coming out the intake if the needle is sticking open and tank is pressurised but i very much doubt that as well.

First off, look at the lengths we go through on this site to keep equipment from running lean. Now you repeatedly want to run the leanest mixture possible that will still run? It may not score a cylinder, but it certainly isn't helping bearings. Leaving fuel lines and carbs empty after running ethanol fuel is even worse than leaving ethanol fuel in them for a period of a month or two. Good two stroke oils have a fuel stabilizer in them and leaving them empty will cause them to harden even faster. If you must, you'd be much further ahead to dump the ethanol fuel out and fill with something like trufuel. Or even better, dump the fuel out and run a fogging oil through.

First off, look at the lengths we go through on this site to keep equipment from running lean. Now you repeatedly want to run the leanest mixture possible that will still run? It may not score a cylinder, but it certainly isn't helping bearings. Leaving fuel lines and carbs empty after running ethanol fuel is even worse than leaving ethanol fuel in them for a period of a month or two. Good two stroke oils have a fuel stabilizer in them and leaving them empty will cause them to harden even faster. If you must, you'd be much further ahead to dump the ethanol fuel out and fill with something like trufuel. Or even better, dump the fuel out and run a fogging oil through.
but failing that, even leaving the old fuel in it for long periods is better for the lines/diaphragms etc. than nothing. Then replace fuel if its old when you go to use it next time.
Also seems like heaps more effort draining, running dry not to mention the lean effects as you say

If at all possible use the non-ethanol gas. There are stations around that still carry it but you have to look hard to find them. It's a little higher priced but worth it if you want your stuff to last. I always keep some extra fuel line around and my local small engine place has carb kits for about anything...

Stihl Inc. recommends dumping the fuel and then re-starting the machine and letting it idle until it quits after use. I've been doing this for well over 40 yrs., and not a single issue of any kind.

When I say "dumping" the fuel, I'm not saying that it gets thrown away. I use Tru-Fuel and it goes back into the can.

Stihl Inc. recommends dumping the fuel and then re-starting the machine and letting it idle until it quits after use. I've been doing this for well over 40 yrs., and not a single issue of any kind.

When I say "dumping" the fuel, I'm not saying that it gets thrown away. I use Tru-Fuel and it goes back into the can.
They also recommend starting and letting it warm up with the chainbrake on. If you're using tru-fuel, why not just leave it anyway.

They also recommend starting and letting it warm up with the chainbrake on. If you're using tru-fuel, why not just leave it anyway.

I suppose that I could and be okay. But, habits are hard to change and I just don't like leaving fuel in something that isn't being used frequently.

It's a little extra work for me, but I don't mind. After each and every use, my OPE gets completely cleaned.......top to bottom, side to side, and front to rear. Lots of people don't do that. I could just ignore all the crud and build-up and do it later, or after several periods of use, but that would drive me crazy and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

You don't need to tell me I'm a bit OC. I know that already. :cool:

I could care less about the OCD, come take a walk through my shop or garage and you'll see I'm the same way. But basing something being ok to do simply because nothing bad has happened yet is like saying "I've played russian roullette for 10 years with a loaded revolver and havent been shot so it must be safe".

To each his own, if you want to continue doing it your way, by all means go ahead. I'll do it my way, just letting the poster know all sides.

Latest posts

Back