General consensus of Husqvarna Farm & Ranch saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try an ad on your craigslist: "WTB: non running chainsaws". I've picked up 5x Husky 55. All parts for the 55 are readily available and cheap. And it's an easy rebuild (except if it needs crank seals).

Yes, I have an OP cyl....BUT the muffler mount bracket is trashed. You can have it if you want to attempt repair. I dunno if some kind of Al weld is possible.

One of our sponsors is having an inventory reduction sale and has a new Echo cs490 for sale for $300. This is a 50cc saw that might meet your needs that is in your price range.
As I save my pennies for a new saw, I'm still struggling with where to focus my efforts. Here is my use case:

- What - Clearing brush (buckthorn), storm damage, some campfire wood (do not heat with wood)
- Use - Maybe 2 weekends a month for a couple hours each day
- Bar length - I think an 18" bar is plenty for my use
- Other saws - Poulan 2025 (14" bar, circa 1998)
- About me - Experienced user, fix my own stuff

What I get will be paired with the existing saw. For as much bashing as green Poulan's receive, this little saw just won't die. I appreciate that pro level saws are very nice but a $600-700 saw just isn't feasible or reasonable for the little use it will get. I'm thinking $350-400 is justifiable to my wife and my wallet. Money is tight but I have debris I could clear now. I'm not confident in my abilities to judge a used pro saw; most used saws I see around look pretty beat up and offer very little savings over new prices.

So I'm wondering about the 50-60cc Husqvarna Rancher saws and how they perform over the long term with good fuel and care? I understand they are not a pro saw build but neither is my little green monster that is still running 16 years and several cords of wood later.

Thanks!

I just looked at the tradin post, rebuilt husky 51/50 for decent fair dineros.

There's also brandy new poulan pp5020av, for two benjamins, off the big river online site or tractor supply or wherever. They get pretty good reviews around here. Leaves leftover from your budget for bar oil, mix oil, chains, chaps if you need em, files, etc.

Echo CS370/400 sounds perfect for what you are needing. That CS490 for $300 is pretty attractive as well.
The 490 and up are a great choice , high power to weight and pro mag cases, the cs500p can be had for 430$ free shipping eBay. However the 370/400 and there homeowner line are utter Junk IMHO. I had a muff mod cs400 and it was a overpriced heavy dog, the weight of a 55cc chainsaw with the power of a 35cc. The husky 435 and 440 will outcut the cs400 handily easily as well as being cheaper, trust me I know. Don't want to make the same mistake I did.

I just looked at the tradin post, rebuilt husky 51/50 for decent fair dineros.

There's also brandy new poulan pp5020av, for two benjamins, off the big river online site or tractor supply or wherever. They get pretty good reviews around here. Leaves leftover from your budget for bar oil, mix oil, chains, chaps if you need em, files, etc.
I have seen older stihl 026's for 200$ on craigslist. Why settle on poulan garbage.

The 490 and up are a great choice , high power to weight and pro mag cases, the cs500p can be had for 430$ free shipping eBay. However the 370/400 and there homeowner line are utter Junk IMHO. I had a muff mod cs400 and it was a overpriced heavy dog, the weight of a 55cc chainsaw with the power of a 35cc. The husky 435 and 440 will outcut the cs400 handily easily as well as being cheaper, trust me I know. Don't want to make the same mistake I did.

Have to disagree, IMO the 400 is light and nimble and has OK power for the displacement. I like that it ALWAYS starts in 3 pulls cold and the nice touches like a toggle switch and rubberized handles. The quality of Echo is better than the homeowner or ranch/farm Stihls or Huskies. A muff mod and sharp chain puts you into 10-12" wood territory which can cut a lot of cords. OP doesn't need a powerful saw to cut mostly brush and smaller trees...

Have to disagree, IMO the 400 is light and nimble and has OK power for the displacement. I like that it ALWAYS starts in 3 pulls cold and the nice touches like a toggle switch and rubberized handles. The quality of Echo is better than the homeowner or ranch/farm Stihls or Huskies. A muff mod and sharp chain puts you into 10-12" wood territory which can cut a lot of cords. OP doesn't need a powerful saw to cut mostly brush and smaller trees...
A cs400 is 320$ at Home Depot, a dolmar 421 ....a great saw with mag case and 42cc 2.9hp I can get for 299$ online and will out cut the cs400 any day all day. Cs400 kind of overpriced. Why settle for less when more can be had for less? My 2 cents

FWIW I got mine as a reconditioned saw on ebay for $190 shipped and it was like brand new, P&C looked pristine and saw was clean as new.

I have an Echo CS-590 and a Husqvarna 365 XT which is a pro saw design with a lower power output, so higher end than a rancher design. I like my husky better than my Echo, but I could buy 2 and a half echos for what the Husky cost new, and I don't like the Husky THAT much better. I bought the Husky when it was 2 years old and had 10 hours of use on it for half of its new price, otherwise I wouldn't have it. The Echo is 11 ccs smaller and cuts almost as fast. As far as the rancher goes where i live they are 200-300 more canadian than a CS590 or CS490 and hands down I'd pick the Echo everytime -even for the same money I think. I would take any pro, or pro-ish (555, 545, 365) Husky over an Echo tho, but then a lot more money which for me was a factor. I got lucky and found a newish good used one.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

OP, little food for thought. If you know anyone that's active duty or retired military, HD will give them 10% off on an Echo or anything storewide for that matter. If you lived here in mid-Ga, I'd tell ya come on, I'll get you an Echo CS590 Timberwolf with 20" B&C for $360, with my 10% off. If any of the Echo line impresses you, the same 10% off applies. I'm not trying to sway you to an Echo or otherwise, but with the discount someone can afford you, it brings many more cc size saws into the equation for the money you're looking to spend. The 590 may be more of a saw for your needs, but I'd rather go big for the same dollar. I don't think too many here would dispute that...rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it theory...in case you get into bigger trees or wood one day. The 590 is certainly not the ideal limbing saw by weight, but small saws ain't no big tree felling saw neither. If nothing else, take the money you save on someone's discount, buy an optional 16" B&C to go on it, and get the best of both worlds with two different bar and chain lengths to accommodate anything you run in to. A 60 cc saw for $360, with a 5-yr consumer/homeowner warranty...ya can't beat it. Look at my mixed-up saw sig...if I wouldn't have bought the MS271 last week, the 590 was the route I was headed. Buy what you think is best for you and the wallet and happy cuttin...just my .02 pennies worth.

OP, little food for thought. If you know anyone that's active duty or retired military, HD will give them 10% off on an Echo or anything storewide for that matter. If you lived here in mid-Ga, I'd tell ya come on, I'll get you an Echo CS590 Timberwolf with 20" B&C for $360, with my 10% off. If any of the Echo line impresses you, the same 10% off applies. I'm not trying to sway you to an Echo or otherwise, but with the discount someone can afford you, it brings many more cc size saws into the equation for the money you're looking to spend. The 590 may be more of a saw for your needs, but I'd rather go big for the same dollar. I don't think too many here would dispute that...rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it theory...in case you get into bigger trees or wood one day. The 590 is certainly not the ideal limbing saw by weight, but small saws ain't no big tree felling saw neither. If nothing else, take the money you save on someone's discount, buy an optional 16" B&C to go on it, and get the best of both worlds with two different bar and chain lengths to accommodate anything you run in to. A 60 cc saw for $360, with a 5-yr consumer/homeowner warranty...ya can't beat it. Look at my mixed-up saw sig...if I wouldn't have bought the MS271 last week, the 590 was the route I was headed. Buy what you think is best for you and the wallet and happy cuttin...just my .02 pennies worth.

That sounds killer 360$ for a 60cc pro saw with mag case!

CS590 timberwolf for all intents and purpose it IS a pro saw. Ya its got a cheap bar a spur and a plastic handle but so does a MS270 or 290.
What other saw is mag cased for $399 brand spanking new. Plus it comes with a pretty decent loop on it. Did I want a 262 or a 372 hell ya and i still do but its just not in the cards right now. Plus if you resist the urge to mod it it has a 5 year warrenty. I was a skeptic when I bought but I needed a saw in a emergency and figured "hey its got a pro case and appers to be totally serviceable" turns out it is. I was totally surpised let me put it that way.

go with the 490 or 590.all i'm gonna say.
If the man can get a connection for the mil discount, ya just beat the 590 Timberwolf for $360. If not, still a good saw for $4 bills. Heavy saw compared to most by a couple of lbs, but if ya gimped up and can't handle that little bit of weight...make a call for your split wood delivery, all I can say. I don't know the OP's physical abilities nor condition, he ain't stated otherwise. Ain't nothing wrong with that 590 for the money. It's a good saw for the investment, with the 5-yr warranty. Whatever he decides on, I wish him the best for a saw.

Just have to remember with antiquated rubber anti vibe systems, such as older stihls and on echos.... Are more likely to cause nerve damage in hands (white fingers). There is a reason why the 590 is so affordable for a pro 60cc saw. It has a spur instead of a rim sprocket, outdated anti vibe and is underpowered for the cc at around 3.9hp. The 590 is a awesome deal for a semi pro saw but remember consider that you always get what you pay for.

Back