Geothermal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, conversion is 5.671.

Yay math.

So 0.80 to 1.20 metric is ... 0.141 to 0.213. Wow. Any thing under 0.20 here is considered high performance, and is probably triple glazed.

Common U-factors will all be around 0.20-0.30... especially now that we have a tax rebate for U-factors under 0.30, so every window maker and their brother has got their window down to at least 0.30.... that range would be 1.13 to 1.70 metric.

Just wondering, what are normal u-values for windows over there? since over here they tend to be around .80-1.20 for normal quality windows...

Are your hydronic heating system operating temperatures goverment regulated like Germany's?

The wife and I are in the process of building our first new house now. We will have geothermal HVAC installed in a closed loop, vertical well system. We are in Northeast PA. The sytem will also preheat domestic hotwater. It is the most efficient way to have HVAC for our house.

Currently, there is a federal tax credit that has no upper limit through 2016 for geothermal heating systems. You will receive 30% of the cost of your geothermal system as a tax credit. One of the main reasons we are doing it.

More info here: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits

Our system was quoted around $19,500-20,000. Would've been around $17,500 with horizontal well trenches but it doesn't work well with tree roots and I am not cutting all the trees down just to install horizontal wells.

Last edited:
Are your hydronic heating system operating temperatures goverment regulated like Germany's?

nope, no regulations about that...

ps. i think anything less than three layer windows havent been used here for couple decades...

The wife and I are in the process of building our first new house now. We will have geothermal HVAC installed in a closed loop, vertical well system. We are in Northeast PA. The sytem will also preheat domestic hotwater. It is the most efficient way to have HVAC for our house.

Currently, there is a federal tax credit that has no upper limit through 2016 for geothermal heating systems. You will receive 30% of the cost of your geothermal system as a tax credit. One of the main reasons we are doing it.

More info here: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits

Our system was quoted around $19,500-20,000. Would've been around $17,500 with horizontal well trenches but it doesn't work well with tree roots and I am not cutting all the trees down just to install horizontal wells.

vertical wells tend to more efficient than horizontal ones...

Back