Get a handle on it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Finally put together the box-o'-parts 064 I've been scrabblin' bits for since Hector was a pup. It runs, now, sort of... but the symptoms don't add up for me just yet.

First -- this saw is 100% stock (as far as I know because the parts came from a lot of different places so I can only report what I have done and observed) EXCEPT for dropped base gasket, enlarged muffler outlet, gutted muffler cage. There are many new parts but they are mostly stuff like chainbrake bits and consumables like spark plug and nylon parts.

What it does: It will pop on choke, and occasionally run for a few seconds. It idles well enough, but won't accelerate. I'm pretty sure I can adjust that out when I can keep it running long enough. However, pulling it through is BRUTAL. When it catches, it nearly separates my shoulder. I am thinking it can be only three things.

1) detonation due to high compression from dropped base gasket, though I am inclined to disregard this as the compression is strong, but not THAT strong, when it doesn't catch. No, I haven't measured it -- I only have one of the press-in testers at home, and I need a third hand to use it.

2) advance due to flywheel key misalignment. I am inclined to disregard this as well, because the key fit and there was no wobble before I snugged the nut up.

3) mismatched coil module/flywheel combination. I'm thinking this is the most likely culprit, but I don't know really how to tell except for explicitly looking up part numbers and ensuring that they are compatible. I am guessing that this is the "universal" coil because I didn't bother checking when I put it all together. Could it be that I have a "Red Light" flywheel and need a different one? I'm not too familiar with the details of the "Red Light" models so I have a suspicion that this may be my winner.

What am I missing?

Finally put together the box-o'-parts 064 I've been scrabblin' bits for since Hector was a pup. It runs, now, sort of... but the symptoms don't add up for me just yet.

First -- this saw is 100% stock (as far as I know because the parts came from a lot of different places so I can only report what I have done and observed) EXCEPT for dropped base gasket, enlarged muffler outlet, gutted muffler cage. There are many new parts but they are mostly stuff like chainbrake bits and consumables like spark plug and nylon parts.

What it does: It will pop on choke, and occasionally run for a few seconds. It idles well enough, but won't accelerate. I'm pretty sure I can adjust that out when I can keep it running long enough. However, pulling it through is BRUTAL. When it catches, it nearly separates my shoulder. I am thinking it can be only three things.

1) detonation due to high compression from dropped base gasket, though I am inclined to disregard this as the compression is strong, but not THAT strong, when it doesn't catch. No, I haven't measured it -- I only have one of the press-in testers at home, and I need a third hand to use it.

2) advance due to flywheel key misalignment. I am inclined to disregard this as well, because the key fit and there was no wobble before I snugged the nut up.

3) mismatched coil module/flywheel combination. I'm thinking this is the most likely culprit, but I don't know really how to tell except for explicitly looking up part numbers and ensuring that they are compatible. I am guessing that this is the "universal" coil because I didn't bother checking when I put it all together. Could it be that I have a "Red Light" flywheel and need a different one? I'm not too familiar with the details of the "Red Light" models so I have a suspicion that this may be my winner.

What am I missing?

Yep, I built one that would rip my hand off, felt it all the way to the shoulder several times and was a dog running.

Thanks for confirming my hunch, folks. Now to figure out the best way to rectify the situation. I think for now I'll just throw coils at it and see if anything sticks. I don't feel like eBaying a flywheel if I don't have to.

Latest posts

Back