Getting a Mini Skid Steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quercusgarryana

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I am currently in the market for a mini skid steer. What do you use and what attachments. I am leaning toward a Vermeer s800tx or s600tx or maybe a Bobcat. I think I will be getting a BMG for whatever machine I end up getting. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have a Vermeer 650tx with the bmg...love it. I have a few videos on my youtube channels showing the grapple. Links in signature.

Originally, I used forks to move and drag brush. I wanted to buy a grapple, but wasn't convinced the cost was worth it. But now I wish I had gotten it sooner...it is well worth it.

On another forum site I posted all the different specs (different models, brands). I can repost on here if your interested

I had a kanga wheel loader first and a shop built grapple, used it for 3 or 4 years then repairs became too frequent. Replaced it with a mini excavator for a few years and decided to get a boxer tl220 and changed the grapple mount over so I've got about 5 years on a homemade grapple. Everything has its place, the mini excavator can pull straight in and rotate to pick about 500 logs and still come out a gate but it's very slow, the boxer has the variable width tracks but seems slower than the older wheel loader. I've run a Thomas mini and a Gehl advantage for past employers. The Gehl was great on grass but I disliked the reverse swing of the articulating machine for loading the chipper whereas the mini wheel machines tear up a muddy yard and won't go in the snow without chains. The bigger mini track loaders seem to be the ticket but only if they can fit through a gate or you're back to dragging everything to the fence like you would with a big skid loader. I would love to trade my Gehl 5635 for nice compact excavator and keep my 6635 to run the logs to the truck and run mowers and the grinder for lot clearings.

The BMG grapple is worth every penny. As for the mini skid, everyone has their own opinion, but I would go Ditch Witch all the way. There is a lot of info on this site about minis. Just do a search.

Well I have good deal on a brand new s650tx in the works. I think I will be very pleased. Thanks for tips. I have to say I was pretty well sold by Climb High's videos. The BMG will be the next purchase:rock:

I just shot another video using the BMG to unload my trailer. This is the first 12 minutes of it...In all it took me 19 minutes to unload and stack the wood. Yes it probably would have been faster to just dump, and then stack, but I wanted to show pick work with the grapple.

I just recently bought a ditch witch SK650 with a branch manager grapple. I'm now kicking myself for waiting this long to get one. I have a 4wd tractor with a FEL that we have been using. It's not bad to use but the grapple is so much better. It now only takes one person to load up the wood vs two.

Latest posts

Back