Getting a new wood hauler, in desperate need of advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
like everyone said do you NEED 4wd? then there is your answer. personally i love the 7.3 PSD have 2 and 5 in the family. i find them easy to work on, and they get great MPG 22 out of my 94, 11 out of the 00 350 dump with a full bed and tractor on the trailer.

Flat land, hills, mountains, swamps, rocks, logs, stumps, sand, mud, or snow, if given a choice, I'll pick 4WD every time - truck or tractor. The added pulling power of front wheel drive can be amazing - IME this can be most easily demonstrated with a tractor. Just take a typical 4WD tractor and hook it to something that it just can't quite pull in two wheel drive with the rear differential lock engaged, then disengage the differential lock and engage the front drive and watch it move that load even though the front tires are just a fraction of the size of the rear tires and even though now you only have power to one rear wheel - the one with the least traction of the two. 4WD can keep you out of a lot of trouble including busted drivetrains and tires. It is not the end all of end all and overestimating its benefits can also get you into a heap of trouble that you would have otherwise avoided.

Despite my best arguments, my dad was a firm believer that 4WD was unneeded and overrated. He equated 4WD with any other unnecessary toy. He didn't need to drive where I drove and in his view I didn't either. But other than occassionally riding in an old TVA Power Wagon in the scrubs of Florida, he had no real work experience with 4WD. Once he finally tasted it on a tractor while in his 70s he became a believer. After that every tractor and every vehicle he owned was 4WD. In fact on his last tractor he kept it permanently engaged despite my protests about the premature wearing of the tires - he had decided by then that 4WD was the only safe way to drive a tractor in the mountains.

If 2WD floats your boat, sail on. Save the initial costs and extra operating costs for something else - like maybe that new big (or little) chainsaw that you don't really need either. :msp_smile: Ron

Alrite guys, I bought the f250 besides the fact I haven't drove a stick in 14 yrs, it drives great. New clutch, brakes too. I need to fix the dash lights, seat belts and parking brake. Also he converted it to dually, the sticker on the door had a 8ksh gwr. Ill take more pics tomorrow.

You'll be happy with the 460. Its a gas hog for sure but my 89 F350 dually 4x4 5 speed with a steel 8' mason dump get 10mpg empty, 8 mpg loaded. Its not a powerhouse but it moves a cord of wood and my 13,000lbs dozer/trailer at 65 on the highway (24,600lbs total).

2x4 or 4x4? Gas of diesel?

My dad was in the car business for near 50 years... started work for a Ford dealer when i was three, bought his own Ford dealership 15 years later. My first job (before I could drive legal) was working in a dealership washing cars and helping in the shop. Some years after dad bought his dealership I came to work with him, and not long after that I was managing both parts and service. I've always driven trucks of some sort or another... and when I was at the family business I drove something off the lot, rarely something new, almost always used... because I used them. Of course they were for sale so I was constantly changing "drivers"... sometimes every few days. I drove 'em all, 2x4, 4x4, dual rear, single rear, 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton, 1 ton, gas, diesel, Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Mazdas, Toyotas and-I can't-remember-what-all...

I'll take the 4 wheel drive over any other choice, any day of the week. I don't care how much driving "talent" you think you have, follow me with your "talent" and 2 wheel drive... I promise you my 4x4 will be pullin' you out'a trouble within a half hour. I don't put wide meaty tires on my 4x4, they're worthless in anything but desert sand... narrow, heavy lugged, ply tires will out perform any of those wide meats, except on bone-dry pavement, guaranteed! When it comes to pullin' something out'a the ditch, or pullin' a snag down, or whatever, there ain't nothin' like hookin' to the front end and pullin' in reverse with a 4x4, so ya' can watch what you're doin' out the windshield... try doin' that with a no-traction 4x2. Unless I was doin' a whole bunch of big heavy trailer pullin I'd pass on a diesel every time; all that extra weight up front makes tight off-road maneuvering near impossible... like herding a bull through a china shop. A diesel is fine for runnin' up and down the road but they lose there luster off-road (IMHO)... and if ya' drop that heavy-azz front end into something, the only way out is with a big-azz farm tractor (just ask me). Really, the "best" off-road engine I ever had in a 4x4 was the Ford 300 6-cylinder... that thing had some awesome low-end luggin' power. I don't care for duals either, not for off-road anyway... but hauling heavy loads down the highway would be a different matter. Personally, my pickup has many more hours off pavement than on pavement, so I'd pass on duals if I had the choice.

Now, with all that said, I don't use my pickup for haulin' heavy loads... It has never hauled a single stick of firewood. I use my pickup for getting from point A to Point B off-road. I use it for dragging somthing out'a the woodlot, pullin' cars out'a the ditch, yanking down a snag and whatever... but not for pullin' trailers. I use it for getting to town when the snow is so deep it's pushing over the hood. Sometimes it hauls a little lumber, or gravel... or the occasional piece of furniture or lawn tractor. I can't remember the last time it was more than 10 miles from home. It just another piece of necessary equipment to me... but a 2 wheel drive would be worthless and a diesel would just be a PITA.

I hope my gut feeling about that truck is wrong, and it turns out to be a nice rig for you.

On the 2x/4x fight I started, here's the disclaimer first: I currently have 2 4x4s here. One is my woodhauler, bought it cause the price was right, not because it was 4wd. The other is a plow truck, and has a real need for 4wd with that much steel hanging 5' in front of the axle.

Now back to what I said, "a 2wd with a locker" - not a one wheeled wonder or a limited slip that may or may not work when you want it to, is a very capable rig off road. I never said it will go everywhere a 4x will, but it'll get around pretty good. Those that have never driven a true 2 wheel drive would be surprised. I've pulled loaded gravity boxes out of rutted field driveways in a 2wd, climbed some steep hills on sandy ground out in the woods, and pulled a few cars out of snowbanks with one.

You'll also save about 400lbs of empty weight, and especially with the newer trucks without lockouts, not waste fuel spinning transfer cases, front drive and axle shafts, etc. and get a bit better mileage because of it. My one beef with 2wd is a lack of ground clearance, but that's curable if it's a big issue.

Steve, I agree with ya’ on the locking axle being worlds above the standard limited-slip in usefulness, but the “locker” does have some limitations and disadvantages (not that 4 wheel drive doesn’t, everything’s a trade-off). In snow and mud, especially wet heavy snow or thick heavy mud, the locking rear comes up against the wall… the light (in comparison) rear end can’t come close to something pulling up front. Back when you could order actual locking axles it was a popular alternative to 4 wheel drive, but they suffered dry pavement drivability issues and frequent “breakage” with expensive repairs when driven on pavement a lot.

Again, back when you could order actual locking axles (or get proper kits), the guys that were serious about traction put the “locker” on the front end of a 4 wheel drive. That gave them the best of both worlds… for drivability on pavement they could put ‘em in two wheel drive, but have both fronts pullin’ when you really needed traction under challenging conditions. I drove two “trucks” set up that way, one was an old Dodge pickup, the other was a Toyota Land Cruiser (not a true “truck” I guess)… both were near unstoppable off road. There were a few places where I drove that Dodge across the river and up the muddy bank on a regular basis… and that Toyota, with its short wheel base and tall tires, would climb right over a 20 inch diameter log.

congrats on the new purchase and good luck. word of warning - be wary of the TTB front end if the PO did not swap in a solid D60 out of a 350. they are known to eat tires when they wear out

Sthe guys that were serious about traction put the “locker” on the front end of a 4 wheel drive. That gave them the best of both worlds… for drivability on pavement they could put ‘em in two wheel drive, but have both fronts pullin’ when you really needed traction under challenging conditions.

this is a great setup. i have two trucks set up this way

hey there guys, I've had the truck for a few weeks now and i took it for a spin last sunday. I thought i'd post some pictures :rock: it didn't even feel like i was pulling anything btw. Also thanks for the 4x4 advise, i didn't realize duallies have no traction at all!!! i've already put the 4x4 to work several times, thanks!

First wood delivery on the truck and yes that's a true cord :msp_razz::msp_razz:

Glad the truck is working out for you, but if you tried to deliver me a load/cord of wood stacked like that you would have to take it back with you...just saying...

What's wrong with my stack? Its over 4 ft tall 8 ft wide and threw off some extra.

hey there guys, I've had the truck for a few weeks now and i took it for a spin last sunday. I thought i'd post some pictures :rock: it didn't even feel like i was pulling anything btw. Also thanks for the 4x4 advise, i didn't realize duallies have no traction at all!!! i've already put the 4x4 to work several times, thanks!

First wood delivery on the truck and yes that's a true cord :msp_razz::msp_razz:

Looking good man! That's a nice rig you have now!

What's wrong with my stack? Its over 4 ft tall 8 ft wide and threw off some extra.

people are funny! when it comes to paying/buying a product, neatness counts more than a true amount of product!! chuncks of wood in the bottom of a delivery truck along with old bark is a turn off to the buyer!!! " not saying to short customers at all" giving extra amounts pleases customers when knowing that you will go the extra mile to make them a #1 customer for repeat services!! btw. nice set up....

======

Other then the fact that you could stick a couple VW's in some of the holes, have you actually measured it?? Most 1 ton flat beds are not a full 8' wide and doesn't look to be 4' high, but pictures can be deceiving...Not meaning to tick you off, trying to be helpful...mayhaps I could have been more tactful...Sorry

======

Other then the fact that you could stick a couple VW's in some of the holes, have you actually measured it?? Most 1 ton flat beds are not a full 8' wide and doesn't look to be 4' high, but pictures can be deceiving...Not meaning to tick you off, trying to be helpful...mayhaps I could have been more tactful...Sorry

thats a custom bed, i take a measuring tape with me every time i deliver to show customers actual measurements. Yea i see the holes, it kind of shifted when i moved the truck. I usually put more to make up for it though. About niceness, around here no one cares, they care more about getting a true cord. thanks for the comment though.

btw how much wood do you guys think i got on the trailer? ( it's still on it btw lol ) i had 2 ranks in the back of the truck though.

Nice hauler Man! I love the way duallys tow, but you are correct in their lack of traction. When you have twice the contact patch/buoyancy and by default, half of the weight induced grip by having two extra tires on the rear, (especially when empty), 4x4 is a must-have off-road and in the snow. It's still handy on single trucks, but it's a necessity on dual wheel trucks that see mud or snow very often. Or wet grass. Or hills. Or,.....:dizzy:

Back