Getting a new wood hauler, in desperate need of advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess i missed this picture...

truck006.jpg

Oh, OK, that is the "powerstroke" 7.3 then. Good motor, much more power than a non turbo 7.3, same maintenance issues apply at 250k. I'd still buy the 4x4, can't go wrong for that price. :msp_thumbup: (unless you or your mechanic find a lot of things wrong when you are checking it over) It is hard to find an operational 1/2 ton 4x4 at that price let alone a heavy 3/4 or 1 ton! Don't get me wrong the 4x2 is a pretty good deal for what it is, (I have seen guys that wanted a lot more than that for a complete "lower mileage" powerstroke engine) it's just not an off road worthy truck.

Last edited:
OK, an old Ford guy speaking here…

The 1987 F-series model year was a little strange and confusing. The first ‘87’s came out well early in 1986… eventually we gave them the nickname “86-and-a-half” models. Some of those early ‘87’s were basically ‘86 power trains with ‘87 bodies. The ‘86 F-250’s came in light duty or heavy duty models, both using the Sterling 10.25 rear axles, but the light duty had a semi-float rear and the heavy duty had the same full-float rear as the F-350… those early ‘87 F-250’s had the same rear as the F-350. The front axle on a heavy duty F-250 4x4 was the Dana 50… the same front used on the F-350 until 1986 when it changed to the Dana 60.

Putting dually wheels on an early ‘87 F-250 4x4 is no great challenge… but it didn’t come that way from the factory. The GVWR difference between early ‘87 F-250 4x4’s and the ‘86 model F-350 ain’t that great.

With all that said… Yeah, that 460 cid is gonna’ break-the-bank in fuel usage.

Go diesel. What ever you decide on, diesel is better than gas. I would be skeptical of a 1987 with 57K on the speedo for the gas truck.

OK, an old Ford guy speaking here…

The 1987 F-series model year was a little strange and confusing. The first ‘87’s came out well early in 1986… eventually we gave them the nickname “86-and-a-half” models. Some of those early ‘87’s were basically ‘86 power trains with ‘87 bodies. The ‘86 F-250’s came in light duty or heavy duty models, both using the Sterling 10.25 rear axles, but the light duty had a semi-float rear and the heavy duty had the same full-float rear as the F-350… those early ‘87 F-250’s had the same rear as the F-350. The front axle on a heavy duty F-250 4x4 was the Dana 50… the same front used on the F-350 until 1986 when it changed to the Dana 60.

Putting dually wheels on an early ‘87 F-250 4x4 is no great challenge… but it didn’t come that way from the factory. The GVWR difference between early ‘87 F-250 4x4’s and the ‘86 model F-350 ain’t that great.

With all that said… Yeah, that 460 cid is gonna’ break-the-bank in fuel usage.

Is it hard to swap out the gasser for the diesel in those series trucks?

Is it hard to swap out the gasser for the diesel in those series trucks?

Define "hard". Mechanically, it's pretty straightforward wrench turning.

Without a donor truck to supply all the diesel pieces you will need, it's probably not worth doing. Lots of time and dollars switching stuff the original buyer could have switched by checking one box on the order form.

Unless you want something unique, like a newer diesel in a 70's pickup, or have a smashed diesel looking for a body transplant, I wouldn't bother.

I'd offer $1500 for the diesel. Lets get real trucks not worth 35. Gas and diesel about same price at pump! When was last time the 7.3 had pump and injectors? some things to think about.

Define "hard". Mechanically, it's pretty straightforward wrench turning.

Without a donor truck to supply all the diesel pieces you will need, it's probably not worth doing. Lots of time and dollars switching stuff the original buyer could have switched by checking one box on the order form.

Unless you want something unique, like a newer diesel in a 70's pickup, or have a smashed diesel looking for a body transplant, I wouldn't bother.

Oh, I was just wondering. There are tons of those 7.3s out there.

I've looked into this for my 2wd datsun diesel into a 4wd gasser truck or vice versa, make the 2wd a 4wd, yes, much better to start with two complete trucks, and even then you need to fab up/weld a custom oilpan and some other stuff, besides all the wiring harness and whatnot. Lotta work. They didn't offer the diesel plus 4wd option in the US, or not too many of them anyway.

well, the guy with the diesel truck won't go down any lower than $3k. i told him i'd give him 2500 cash and he declined:bang:

Diesel is the way to go IF the engine is truly in good shape. When they get worn they are expensive to keep on the road and if they need an overhaul look out. I read all the fluff about the 500,000 - 1,000,000 miles possibly with a diesel before I bought my 84 Ford with a 6.9 International diesel and 108,000 miles. Nice truck but the engine was worn out at 253,000 miles. I wanted to keep it but the overhaul was quoted at $5,000. which was more than the book value and nobody would touch the conversion to gas for a reasonable price so I junked it. At the time I needed transportation, not a hobby truck. If you are interested in a used diesel have a GOOD diesel mechanic thoroughly check it out.

well, the guy with the diesel truck won't go down any lower than $3k. i told him i'd give him 2500 cash and he declined:bang:

===

He did you a favor, as you will would soon regret no buying a 4x4 for wood cutting/gathering...
admittedly the diesel is the preferred power plant but for what I understand you intended use is
the 4wh dr trumps the diesel...While the 460 is a gas gusseler for sure, it has plenty of power and limited use it won't bankrupt you, (assuming the low mileage is accurate) it should have many miles left in it...

Must have 4x4.

The 460 is fine but you can also swap in a smaller gas engine. Maybe a 351 or a 300 six for way less money than a diesel swap.

I own a diesel but I think the diesel superiority really doesn't apply to short trip, low limeage, wood hauling. You obviously don't need the power, the diesel power is only really needed when towing large trailers when you have a chance at being up near the GCWR.

Diesels are fun for sure. Not for the budget minded guy though. One little head gasket repair will cost you thousands, actually it would be a reason to junk the truck. So many things can fail on that diesel that make it not worth fixing.

Man you guys are hard on 2 wheelers. I'll take a 2wd with a locking diff and good tires almost anywhere I need to go. 4x4 ticks me off quite often when it sits and spins in 2x and you have to lock it in because it won't push all that extra weight up front (t-case, front diff, etc.)

Here is where I should mention something about the driving talents of 99% of the people that "need" 4x4, but I'll be nice...

Remember, up until the mid 70s, maybe later, 4wd was the exception and not the rule.

===

He did you a favor, as you will would soon regret no buying a 4x4 for wood cutting/gathering...
admittedly the diesel is the preferred power plant but for what I understand you intended use is
the 4wh dr trumps the diesel...While the 460 is a gas gusseler for sure, it has plenty of power and limited use it won't bankrupt you, (assuming the low mileage is accurate) it should have many miles left in it...

^^^what he said! And as far as a drivers talents coming into play when going offroad...yup, I agree, except in the case of a 4x2 dual rear wheels, that doesn't work! Ever ride a street bike across a wet lawn? 'bout the same... Think anybody on here has an opinion about trucks?! :hmm3grin2orange:

Man you guys are hard on 2 wheelers. I'll take a 2wd with a locking diff and good tires almost anywhere I need to go. 4x4 ticks me off quite often when it sits and spins in 2x and you have to lock it in because it won't push all that extra weight up front (t-case, front diff, etc.)

Here is where I should mention something about the driving talents of 99% of the people that "need" 4x4, but I'll be nice...

Remember, up until the mid 70s, maybe later, 4wd was the exception and not the rule.

Man, I'll take the option, it's just nice to have. My driving is what it is, 4wd, can get point A to B (well, back in the day..), 2wd, singles or duallys..sucks. Mud is too nasty here. If you can't get up and float on big meats, you ain't going no where except digging in to china and resting on your frame.

Almost have my project 4wd diesel finished, too. And I am still gonna watch where I take it, some areas, 4wd or not..just ain't gonna if I know the mud is too deep.

If your talent allows you to go most places with 2wd, just imagine where you could go with 4wd. The 4wd is always a benefit, for some it makes the difference of making it home that night.

All this talk about diesel swaps and putting in a smaller gas motor? Did we at some point get away from either of the two $1,000 trucks that were talked about in the first post? We are talking about a basic truck to go get wood, not a restoration project. I have hauled a lot of wood with a rusty old 81' half ton 2wd chevy and never could get enough in the box to make it stop moving. The idea is to spend as little as possible because it will be for one purpose only. I am currently looking for a second generation Dodge 12 valve to put to work as I am tired of using my built Duramax for the job.

I'm with Zogger on this one . Having 4 wheel drive is like having that extra sharp chain or bar nut along with you . You probably won't need them but your real glad it is there if you do . Like I said in my first post it depends on where you cut .Maybe if you have the luxury of many easy to get to spots for cutting your firewood you can get buy with a 2 wheel drive truck . I don't . One place I was cutting tops last year all I could do was pick my way along the skidder trails . Down hill on the way in up hill on the way out loaded . 4 wheel drive low range thank you very much . I do know a few guys that haul their firewood with 2 wheel drive trucks but they all drag the wood to their trucks with tractors of some sort .

I'd also take a 4wd gasser over a 2wd diesel for wood hauling work. Personally though, I would pass on both truck and keep looking for a bit longer.

All of the trucks I've ever owned (save for a "dealer special 6.0 Powerstroke 4x4:angry::bang:)have been 2wd. If you have the luxury of waiting until the ground is solid enough for wood removal/deliveries, then you're golden. My '63 F600 is great as long as is isn't too' soupy. That said, my last non-grain truck was an '01 F-350SD C/C, L/B, 2wd with a 5.4 Triton and a ZF5-spd. It never got over 14mpg, never felt "over or adequately powered, but also never failed to pull a load from a 10' garden trailer to a 30' tandem axle GN w/hay bales... I grew up on a 2wd '87 Chevy Scottsdale 1/2 ton. It went all sorts of places in the Flint Hills of KS that GM engineers likely never envisioned a 2wd going. It was definitely dicy some of the times and looking back a few of the times may have been fool hardy/ill-advised, but necessity was a mother... I did however get my F-350 stuck on a wet grassy hill, light mud, creek crossings, snow, etc. 6 times in 4 years to be exact. To say that I was inconvenienced/MAD was a dramatic understatement...

The next truck WILL be a diesel, 4x4 dually, preferably an F-450 or Ram 4500 ( I don't like the frame turn-down that the GM heavy-duties have underneath the cab, limiting ground clearance in VERY critical location) 6spd manual. Diesel is handier, to be sure, on longer, more demanding drives. However, a 460 inhales gas like Shriners do scotch at Spring Ceremonial (speaking from experience, not to offend any other wayfaring men in the thread)... If the op finds himself using the truck more than he envisioned, 6-9mpg may be a severely limiting factor in his financial ability to use the truck. I would agree with the others in bypassing both trucks. Not all "Good Deals" are in fact good deals...

Back