Getting an ms440 mag. Thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmauster

Secret ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm getting a new saw to add to the mix in trade for some labor around my aging parents house.

I have an 025 and 310 and needless to say I'm hard up for a larger saw for the huge oak that I frequent. How will the 440 mag compare to the 310? The 440 isn't a lot larger.. maybe 15cc.

Thinking maybe swap a hutzul 660 p/c if it'll fit. Or would i need the whole motor or will it not fit?

I'm planning a porting and muffler mod to help out with power. Anything else to make it a faster saw? I'll move the 28" bar over to it and probably have a 16 or 18" on the 310.

I like where this is going. Upon talking to them more they might want to trade for the ms310 with a muffler mod. Sounds fine to me :)

The 440 is in a different league than your 310. If you already have a 28" bar, that'd be a good setup of the 440 in that west coast wood, but for firewood duty I'd want a 20" bar also. My 440 wears a 20 most of the time.

Like the guys before me said,no comparison. I ran a 440 and they just keep going. Until April 2013 I was a full time woodsman for 30yrs. and without a doubt the 440's were the most durable saw I have ever ran. Their only drawback is the fact they just won't die,so you don't get to buy nearly as many new saws!

The 440 will be a beast at around the same weight of the 310. Just got a 044 in a trade and love it. Full 25-30% more power than the 310.

I'm trading the 310 for the 440. My parents are aging and they just want a saw around for the random limb that falls across a road or to cut oversized firewood. They gave me the 025 and 310 so I can't complain :). Plus they're giving me a peavey!

if the saw (440) is running fine don't bother with the cylinder swap. the OEM jugs when in shape run really hard---

if it has been sitting for a long time you might want to check the fuel and impulse lines , maybe replace them and add a new fuel filter-- those 440s are valuable saws and it pays to check um out before bringing one out of retirement.

new fuel lines impulse line and filter --add some fresh fuel mix and you should be set. if it needs them.

you might want to check the intake boot as well-- you know, make sure all the rubbery things are not old hard and cracked--

the 044/440 is sort of a classic -- great power , light weight and great reliability - there ain't much more to want out of a saw --

Great to hear, I'm excited to run it. I'm a relatively new saw guy. Been running them daily for about a year.. been using saws at work and maintaining them for a few more years... long enough to get a handle on it and feel comfortable with a larger saw.

Sounds like the 440 with a muffler mod and tune up will be fun.

I'll get an impulse and fuel line on order. I can only imagine changing the impulse will be easier than the 025.:nofunny:

I'll change the fuel line and verify the tune on the 310 for my parents so they have a great saw for years to come. Already changed the impulse.. got the 310 as a non runner because of it. I'm at sea level and they're at 3500ft. I'll tune it here and it'll be slightly rich but fine if they loan it out and it goes down in altitude.

I have to say even the 025 holds its own. Powerhouse for the size and weight. Surprises the old timers that haven't kept up with technology. Plenty small for limbing and will cut some big stuff if you aren't in a hurry.

the 440 is easy to work on-- it makes the best for some one wanting to start building saws-- like if you were about to order one of those farmertec/hudzl kits for the first time -- the 044 would be the best to start with. and i mean going from a box of parts to a running saw--

you will like the 440 and it will make you wonder why you bothered with the the smaller ones--

Back