Getting another saw any suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob lombara

372xp, 372xp, 550xp, ms880, ms170, 028wb, 19t
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get a 5th saw, I already have a ms880, 372xp (old school), 550xp, 028WB and ms180. Looking for a third saw just for kicks, getting it this month any suggestions, no junk (poulan etc...) not really for a specific use, probably tree felling/firewood, open to anything. Thanks! :chop:

Sounds like you have a bunch to wear out before needing another one. Its nice to have two or three around so if one gets run over or whatever there's a spare.

suppose, got to have a falling saw, limbing saw, topping saw, bucking saw, show saw, spare saw, little saw, big saw..... Ill never figure it out.

You need to fill the gap between 70cc-120cc all other bases are sorta covered unless a top handle interests you. A dolmar 7901 or 576xp or 461R or 661 or 390xp or MS201 rear handle or top handle, even a ms150t. My guess is a 150t would get used more than any of your saws or the ones l mentioned. CAD sometimes confusses wants and needs so when making a decision try to pick the saw you will have the most use for. lt sounds like cad is spreading through ya veins so while you have 5 saws today, the future will be a lot different. l cannot remember the last time l was not seeking a new saw of some description.lol

Probably in the wrong forum but what ever....

My go to falling saw is the Stihl ms461, first one is over 2 years old now, been rund over once, and lots of hard hours, never a hickup... Though the starter handle came apart a week or so ago, and I really miss the rubber band elasto start all of the sudden... Things still got loads of compression.

Try the 576xp starts up nice and fast in any cut never need to tune it I use mine for a ground saw just run it rich, Husky here in NZ are telling me 33-1 after I fried it twice in less than a year or maybe a 090 I hear those just eat the trees if you can find one.

Down under you have those hard eucs though. 090s are a beast. Last new ones were sold in Oz. You can find them here for about $700 used though.

just go and get your self the husky3120, use it for a day (if you last that long) and then set it up on a shelf to admire! later on in your elder years with the grand kids setting on gramp's lap, you can tell them the stories of the old timers like yourself and all the hard work it was to just drag the thing out of the truck!!! problem solved! ?? cad = buy a homelite from mexico.

I'd probably trade my 090 fer an 066/660... its just a show piece as is, got it running a few years ago at a gtg, after much sweating and swearing... I'll toss in a broken 044 case and a pile of broken ms 260 parts for a 661!

I was thinking that someday I would have enough ms 260 parts to put together a completely ****ed shell of an ms260 just need a carb, case, and internals at this point... probably spent enough on parts for the damn thing to buy 3 new ones

I'd probably trade my 090 fer an 066/660... its just a show piece as is, got it running a few years ago at a gtg, after much sweating and swearing... I'll toss in a broken 044 case and a pile of broken ms 260 parts for a 661!

I was thinking that someday I would have enough ms 260 parts to put together a completely ****ed shell of an ms260 just need a carb, case, and internals at this point... probably spent enough on parts for the damn thing to buy 3 new ones

I witnessed the sweating, but the swearing was pretty low key, low volume, and unoriginal. :)

Stay FAR FAR away from the Stihl 362 CM or what ever it's called. I did a review on it.

2 saw's are enough. The flippin' things ain't cheap. You can only run one at a time anyway.

I would say either get yourself a husqvarna 390 or a stihl 660/661. Fills that 90cc. Gap nicely. And don't let CAD get you down, I went digging though my parts saw bin the other day, found a few projects I had forgotten probably for the best. Lol

Back