What is the point of Husqvarna "farm and ranch saws?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 50cc saw to supplement my Jonsered 2166. Since Jonsered and Redmax are both defunct brands that leaves me with Husky to stay "in family."

Shopping on Bailey's website, that's where I noticed that there is hardly any difference in price between "professional" and "farm and ranch" versions of Husqvarna saws.

Case in point, the 545mkII vs. the 550xp. $60 separates the two saws bar-for-bar. Big whoop. I'd spend the extra $60 just for the "flex" value of having the "professional" saw. I'm reasonably sure they are the same basic saw underneath.

Another case in point, the 565 vs. the 572xp. $100 separates the two saws. Again, big whoop. Yeah these are 72cc saws, but when I saw how little difference there was with the 50cc versions, I dug deeper. The 565 seems to be the "spiritual successor" to my 2166 Jonsered, but my 2166 was significantly cheaper than a 372xp at the time, like $300 cheaper, and that was BEFORE the 20% discount that I got buying it at Tractor Supply.

With the prices being almost the same, what is the point of having the two lines of saws?

The models you mentioned are all pro saws. The difference is the speedy XP version vs the other being called “Professional” on the starter cover. Same construction with a slightly detuned cylinder

Farm, ranch, homeowner type saws would be the “4” series, like 435, 450, 455, 460, etc

I think it all has to do with marketing all companies do it to keep you on your toes you have to do the research. What I think happens you can have the total penny pincher detune it a little and still make sale. I watch people save 5 bucks to have no insulation in their Carhart coveralls. Sometimes to really feel warm and fuzzy inside spend a little more

I never ran the 545 had no interest. I did buy a 550 I ran it very little to replace a 51 that is about 30 years old. I made about 2 cuts with the new 550 just one word to describe it wicked. I watch people buy 365 to save a few bucks might be a fine saw I never ran one

I think the more interesting question is why we need saws at every $30 increment, or with three different displacements on the same chassis. And yet, that's what we get, year over year.

The argument between the 545-550 was stronger in MK1 flavor, with the 550 having RevBoost and the 545 not having it. Now, honestly, buy the 545 unless you want heat, then you have to get the 550 to get -xpg.

The models you mentioned are all pro saws. The difference is the speedy XP version vs the other being called “Professional” on the starter cover. Same construction with a slightly detuned cylinder

Farm, ranch, homeowner type saws would be the “4” series, like 435, 450, 455, 460, etc
^^^^^^+1, more or less.

The OP needs to look at the Husky web site, directly.

That said, hard to understand why the 130 is in the same "class" as the 4xx series.

Seems like they would have one saw for every 10cc. I bet most dealers only sell about 3-4 of the same models over and over. Maybe once in a blue moon, one of the others. I bet my Stihl dealer has 10-15 on display.

I'm looking for a 50cc saw to supplement my Jonsered 2166. Since Jonsered and Redmax are both defunct brands that leaves me with Husky to stay "in family."

Shopping on Bailey's website, that's where I noticed that there is hardly any difference in price between "professional" and "farm and ranch" versions of Husqvarna saws.

Case in point, the 545mkII vs. the 550xp. $60 separates the two saws bar-for-bar. Big whoop. I'd spend the extra $60 just for the "flex" value of having the "professional" saw. I'm reasonably sure they are the same basic saw underneath.

Another case in point, the 565 vs. the 572xp. $100 separates the two saws. Again, big whoop. Yeah these are 72cc saws, but when I saw how little difference there was with the 50cc versions, I dug deeper. The 565 seems to be the "spiritual successor" to my 2166 Jonsered, but my 2166 was significantly cheaper than a 372xp at the time, like $300 cheaper, and that was BEFORE the 20% discount that I got buying it at Tractor Supply.

With the prices being almost the same, what is the point of having the two lines of saws?
60-100 $ adds up if you're running a fleet of outdoor power equipment.

I think the more interesting question is why we need saws at every $30 increment, or with three different displacements on the same chassis. And yet, that's what we get, year over year.

The argument between the 545-550 was stronger in MK1 flavor, with the 550 having RevBoost and the 545 not having it. Now, honestly, buy the 545 unless you want heat, then you have to get the 550 to get -xpg.

The 562 and 555 are basically the same saw. The 562 is more expensive and has a better power to weight ratio. It also has the stuffer crank and is higher strung than the 555. I went with the 555 because the detuned variant seems to have a better track record with reliability.

I just picked up a 555 triple nickel as well and thankfully its the late 2021 build so it has all of the updates. I got it for a song and dance with a factory warranty so it was a deal I was not able to refuse. It is very powerful for its weight and quite frankly I have no reason to desire the "rev boost" for limbing. Sounds like a feature that is cause the crank bearings to fail early. No thanks.

Latest posts

Back