Husqvarna 565 & 555, Forgotten Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Probably more the culture of more power, latest and greatest, modded everything that is common with motorsports & the enthusiast mentality pushes saws like this to the back in conversations. Fact is for those companies, farms , and municipalities looking for a solid saw as a tool vs. a toy would do well with these saw options. An example would be a highway department with a fleet of saws for road side "tree crew" work. Unlike a loggers world, production is defined by a chipper and the foreman. A saw like these would keep up. More importantly will last a long time, great deal for the tax payer who infact bought the tools. Same with a tree service looking for a saw for the ground crew.... a farm with farm hands. Even just a saw for a quad to check fence lines. Speed and bling not the focus. Just a saw that works when needed with enough power is. A few saws from Husqvarna fit that scenario, 460 Rancher, 555, 565 are the ones that come to mind. Priced lower than the "XP" variants but have the same hard parts like cases cranks and cylinders, these saw were built to work and last.

I bought a Husky 555 several years ago and have been very happy with it. Would've liked a 562 but didn't want to spend the extra $. I have no regrets. Sometimes I might wish I had a lighter, personal saw, but it gets stuff cut. And I don't know why, but I use a timberline sharpener for work saws and it sometimes comes home with me for temporary use. I can get a good edge on .325 and 3/8 low pro stuff, but I seem to get a REALLY keen edge on the 3/8 pitch chain such as I've got on my 555 and on our work 460.

Old 55s, 460 rancher's and now 555, 562s and the stihl equivalents pretty much defined the saws in our park service .
We are a 100% self sufficient park service, so every dollar gotng out has to be made back and the non XP saws really fit the masses of work and clean up. We have a few special saws but they are usually shared by 10 parks in a region, 395xp and or a ms200t.
Honestly they are the "right" speed of saw for our novice users, alot of times they don't even want to touch a big ported saw or a loud antique.

I bought the 555 instead of the 562 because of the price difference and my finances at the time. It’t been a great saw and has plenty of power to use a 24” bar in west coast wood. I recently cut a 24” doug fir that it handled with no trouble.
I also just added a 3/4 wrap handle and oversized dawgs that Husqvarna sells for $40. The handle is great, but I’m not real hot on the dawg. It raises the front of the saw when I’m filing it on the tailgate or a stump. Will probably put the original dawg back on.
No issues with this saw at all.

Back