getting ready for the 361 jump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the whole chainsaw thing. I'm 29 bought my 1st house with 10 acres of land and bought my 1st saw last year (MS180) I went small because it was my 1st and I wasn't really sure how much I'd use it.. Well I cut alittle over a cord this spring on my own land (plan on cutting 1 every year) and I have 5 cords coming in 4' length I need to cut. I'm starting to realize that my little 180 isn't even close to the saw I need.. A big part of me wants to go down and grab a new 361, but I know it's alot more saw then what I have.. I was thinking of getting a used mid-range saw like a 260 or a or something. maybe not a pro saw but someting with more power then what I have. I have a couple buddies Husky 362 the other a Johnsred 70cc something or other. Should I just try them out?

Or should I just get it over with and go get the damm thing??
How much time will it save me cutting that 5 cord (they're already split in 4' lengths) I just have to cut and stack.

Thanks Guys

The 361 will out cut your 180 probably 3 cuts to 1, yes it will save you a lot of time. :laugh:

Plus the 361 will handle bars up to 25" if you need to.

What size wood are you cutting?? That will make a big difference in what saw you will need to get the job done.

Hardwood or soft??

The MS180/MS361 combo would be a heck of a set up for the average firewooder. ;)

If money isnt a big issue I say pull the trigger on a 361. If you want to save some money and still want a bigger saw, Im gonna take a stick and smack the hornets nest and say take a look at a new MS 290 or MS 310. That would still give you a new saw warranty, and they are damn good saws, regardless what some people say about them. For what you are going to do with it, it should last a lifetime if taken care of and maintainced properly.

I would suggest a husky 365, they cut like a champ!! and are well priced

I have an MS290 and am still wanting the 361.

If the 361 is on your brain then go and buy it, or you can opt for the 290 and end up buying the 361 later on down the road 'cause if you don't buy the 361 now you will always be wondering ..... :cheers:

I have an MS290 and am still wanting the 361.

If the 361 is on your brain then go and buy it, or you can opt for the 290 and end up buying the 361 later on down the road 'cause if you don't buy the 361 now you will always be wondering ..... :cheers:

If thats how you think, then he is right. Thats how I think (but I am a gearhead) If you are thrifty with money and really just want a saw for the job, you dont have to have a 361. (I have a 361 and I LOVE it!) I had a new MS 290 and it was a damn good saw as well.

Check the Trading Post, nice one listed. Make him a decent offer and it could be yours. The MS361 is a no mis saw,you'll smile every time you start it. Good luck.:cheers:

I have a couple buddies Husky 362 the other a Johnsred 70cc something or other. Should I just try them out?

Try these saws out, nothing like a "hands on" experience. Find out the model # for the 70cc johnsred:hmm3grin2orange:

I think the 361 would suit you well but the cheaper 280/290/310 saws will also.

Buy once, Cry once...grab the 361... If you ever happen to stumble upon a 2' diameter log... you got the saw. However, you said it's split already? so with a 16" bar and a nice chain... it'll rip through anything in no time and leave more time for kicking back with some cold ones..:givebeer:

Nonsense. You need a 361 and a 460 and a 660 and then a big saw. You could go buy an 088, but what you really want is an 056 on steroids or an 090. Then you can settle down and start really collecting saws. BTW, my 361 rips like a mofo and I highly recommend one.

I was in the about the same spot you are in, and decided to just get one. It's a lot of money to spend, but IMO it's worth that and more. I bought an MS270 new last year, cut and sold enough firewood with it to pay for it and buy a 361 and have money left over, then I gave the 270 to my dad. I LOVE the 361.
If you are having trouble justifying the price, look at the cost of propane, nat. gas, fuel oil, etc. and figure how much you'll save in a year cutting your own firewood. Now think about how long the saw is going to last you and how much it'll save you in the long run. Yes, a 180 will cut wood, so will a Poulan Wild Thing, so will an ax, smear peanut butter on the logs and wrangle a pack of wild beavers to work for you , but the 361 will get it done quicker and you will actually look forward to your wood cutting instead of seeing it as a chore. IMO it's a very well made tool that is well worth the price.

Get a Stihl MS361 or a Husky 359. They are both good saws. I have quite a lot of time with both of them. Each have their pro's and con's. For me, when it comes down to it. Its the $$$$$.

I was in the about the same spot you are in, and decided to just get one. It's a lot of money to spend, but IMO it's worth that and more. I bought an MS270 new last year, cut and sold enough firewood with it to pay for it and buy a 361 and have money left over, then I gave the 270 to my dad. I LOVE the 361.
If you are having trouble justifying the price, look at the cost of propane, nat. gas, fuel oil, etc. and figure how much you'll save in a year cutting your own firewood. Now think about how long the saw is going to last you and how much it'll save you in the long run. Yes, a 180 will cut wood, so will a Poulan Wild Thing, so will an ax, smear peanut butter on the logs and wrangle a pack of wild beavers to work for you , but the 361 will get it done quicker and you will actually look forward to your wood cutting instead of seeing it as a chore. IMO it's a very well made tool that is well worth the price.

:cheers: Very well said.

Thanks guys.. I figured there wouldn't be to many of you saying not to get it. I should be picking up my wood in the next month or so, So I'll have to grab all my pennies and check the seats of my vehicles for loose change before then.

I'm can't remember how big the wood is I think he said anywhere for 8-14" Paying $120 per cord. Going rate around here split and delivered is about $225.

Thanks again guys

Bill

Just for cusriosity I took a peek at the local listing, Found a 026 in good shape for $225 and a 036 in rough shape for $200. I'm going to see how bad the 036 is..

Back