Getting Started

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadred

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, here it goes, I've done tree work briefly in the past, and am now doing it part time. My full time job, not arborist related, allows me to do this during the morning hours, 7-8am to 12pm.
I've talked to a number of people, including my current employer about getting started on my own. This would be on a part time basis, at least for now.
I'm looking to make a purchase to help me towards this goal. Aside from saws, which I have a few of, what would be the best single piece of equipment to get me started.
The concensus is a stumper, although I was thinking along the lines of a bucket truck.
Any help, advice, or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

yeah, roger that on the above post! get some training and learn the proper way to do things if you want a successful business. We dont need more hacks in the industry, but instead knowledgeable folks who can do quality tree work.

a bucket truck should be something you really have the money and jobs to warrant making such a huge purchase.
Depending on the kind of work you want to do (removals, pruning...) you may want to consider a chipper and some type of hopper setup for a pick up truck.
maybe get in with someone who needs part time help to show you the ropes!

jrizman said:
yeah, roger that on the above post! get some training and learn the proper way to do things if you want a successful business. We dont need more hacks in the industry, but instead knowledgeable folks who can do quality tree work.

a bucket truck should be something you really have the money and jobs to warrant making such a huge purchase.
Depending on the kind of work you want to do (removals, pruning...) you may want to consider a chipper and some type of hopper setup for a pick up truck.
maybe get in with someone who needs part time help to show you the ropes!

I am in with someone to show me the ropes, and I'm working part time as well.
I've been told to stay away from a chipper and box truck set up. I have access to a 50 yard box truck with a Prentice loader.

Great! well your on your way then!

deadred said:
I've been told to stay away from a chipper and box truck set up. I have access to a 50 yard box truck with a Prentice loader.

why stay away from this setup? i guess it really depends on what you want to do. most customers will want all material removed from the site, chipping is a logical way to get that done (plus they may want the chips then you dont have to haul em :)
good luck!

The first post in this thread is what I have experience with, it's common practice with the guy I work with/for.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=11494&highlight=prentice

I'm mostly interested in trimming, removal, clearing and top and drop stuff.
On smaller jobs you can throw the trimmings and brush in the pick up and save the running around with the loader.

guess it comes down to what works best. chippin sucks ass, but is way less expensive in many situations.
that post had many good points made. im sure something will work out for ya. good luck and let us know what u decide!

What do we think of tub/hoizontal grinders?
If I was to dump a load of money on one would I loose my ass?
I'm talking used for less than 100K.

You're asking our advice on the single most valuable piece of equipment and then yuo ask about a 100k grinder? :) If I was going to spend that much jack I'd definately purchase a bucket. It's my experience that the bucket not only makes life easier and allows you to do some jobs that the climber can't feasibly pull off, but when the bucket truck pulls up in the neighborhood and the boom goes up, people notice. And then when the work is done or being done and they notice that you actually know what you're doing....they come to the bucket. :) My point: the bucket truck will not only get you more jobs...it will get you more business. That make sense at all? i'm still half asleep.

BigUglySquirrel said:
You're asking our advice on the single most valuable piece of equipment and then yuo ask about a 100k grinder? :) If I was going to spend that much jack I'd definately purchase a bucket. It's my experience that the bucket not only makes life easier and allows you to do some jobs that the climber can't feasibly pull off, but when the bucket truck pulls up in the neighborhood and the boom goes up, people notice. And then when the work is done or being done and they notice that you actually know what you're doing....they come to the bucket. :) My point: the bucket truck will not only get you more jobs...it will get you more business. That make sense at all? i'm still half asleep.

Wait a minute! What kind of job can a bucket do that a climber can't feasibly pull off?

You're being serious right? I don't care if you are a Big Ugly Squirrel (or even a small pretty one for that matter) you as a human being will run into jobs that are better suited to a bucket. Period. There are jobs that you can't do without a bucket. Dead, over a house, nothing to rope to. It's a bucket job. You going to climb up a dead elm that's 75' and over a house? You going to rope into it? Maybe butt hitch some limbs out of it. Hope not. You can't tell me a well seasoned climber can do EVERY job. It's not feasible. Sorry.

I heard that !climbing a dead stick is bad news.Not to mention if you have a bucket you can afford to give a better price on the tree you can get to with a bucket more likely you will land the job.I personalywould invest in a chipper first ,but before I bought a tub grinder I would buy ,bucket,chipper ,stump grinder,dump truck.I have all the above but a tub grinder and probably would never be able to afford it"keepin it real"

Bucket truck was my first thought, the guy I work part time for as well as others have said that out of the last 100 or so jobs they've used a bucket 2 times. I've been told to go out and get a good used stumper. You can find great deals on the auction circuit around here.
Stumpers, at least around here, seem to be a dime a dozen. I was hoping to get ahold of something a little specialized and not so common.

Besides all my climbing equip, saws, and ground equip I use a 16' dual axle trailer. There is almost nothing I cant haul away. Its only 2' off the ground s its easy to load. I stack it up then climb on the pile and chain saw it down. I load it up untill its weight capacity which is about 12 thou pounds. I dont have the expense of a chipper, or chip truck. The only thing which would make it easyer would be a hydraulic dual axle dump. I then purchased a 40 hp carlton stump grinder which I carry on the same trailer. Im small but growing . good luck

Being fairly new in the business myself, i found the single most useful investment has been my brush bandit 250 which i purchased from a local power company for a measley $5K - It speeds up the process so much and turns 4 truckloads of brush into 1 load of mulch! I was in the same delimma when i first started, but then i realized the whole reason i wanted to get into this was because i loved climbing trees - love the physical activity part of it and love the feeling of cutting the top out of an 80' pine! I say the chipper - wait til your 80 for the bucket truck!!:laugh: I do agree it'll get you more business, though - i think it's a status symbol!:bowdown:

BigUglySquirrel said:
You're being serious right? I don't care if you are a Big Ugly Squirrel (or even a small pretty one for that matter) you as a human being will run into jobs that are better suited to a bucket. Period. There are jobs that you can't do without a bucket. Dead, over a house, nothing to rope to. It's a bucket job. You going to climb up a dead elm that's 75' and over a house? You going to rope into it? Maybe butt hitch some limbs out of it. Hope not. You can't tell me a well seasoned climber can do EVERY job. It's not feasible. Sorry.
Ok, I agree, the bucket would be best for this job. But around here a good climber will pick up twice as many jobs as a good bucket operator. Besides, it's hard to drive your bucket into someone's yard with three feet of snow on the ground.:D

In this business any and every thing you buy is usually worth its weight in gold. My first purchase was a brush chipper and dump trailer. Stacking and dumping brush at a dump is for the birds, too time consuming, back and forth to the dump.Then I bought a new stump grinder, followed buy a forestry style dump truck, Arbor tech body with tool storage, love it to death. Now a new towable boom, Genie TM 50 awesome gets into most any yard and only weighs 4000 lbs. It takes a while to get all this stuff but once you do its worth it. I would go for the chipper, then the stumper. I rigged my chipper to tow behind my dump trailer and put sides on the trailer. That set up got me through the first 4 years and was very good to me.

Latest posts

Back