Gift. Poulan Pro 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loggerjoe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello; I have a brand new saw as a gift, but it has a 18 inch bar and low profile chain. I wonder if it is possible to upgrade to a 24 inch bar and chain,to 3/8th pitch. It has 42cc power and ity seens it will drive a bigger bar.
This is for yard use only, once a week . Thank You . Loggerjoe

Hello; I have a brand new saw as a gift, but it has a 18 inch bar and low profile chain. I wonder if it is possible to upgrade to a 24 inch bar and chain,to 3/8th pitch. It has 42cc power and ity seens it will drive a bigger bar.

Happy New Year

hi mate,
maybe thinking you should post this on another forum thing, maybe in the professional tree care area? ok see ya

LJ,
I have a 54 cc saw with 20 in bar and I definately wouldn't go any longer on that saw. My opinion, is 24 in on a 42cc saw(regardless of make) is just too much bar. 16 in bar would be ideal.

And Happy New Year to you!

Tom

Last edited:
Regarding the Poulon 42cc, an 18" bar is just fine, I've been running one for 4+ yrs now. Helpful hints:

.....Wear PPE; ear,eye,face, good leather gloves,chaps.
.....Keep the cutters sharp,
.....Next new chain, try upgrading to a Carlton or Stihl chain, keep it sharp.
.....Get a shorter bar, 14" even, it'll run faster and put more of the power into cutting instead of pulling the chain around the bar. A 14" bar will cut through a 14" log faster than the 18", and the chains will be less expensive.
.....Can change the chain type, not the hardware store safety chain, get one made for you, semi chisel, non-safety type.
.....Try a 3/8-.050, NON-low profile, this will put a little more drag on the saw.
.....Radical change, mod the muffler, it has been done here on this saw before, using the search feature you will find info and pics.

24" bars are more suited for 60cc and up, really 70cc+ saws can run them to full effectiveness. There will be less money in your pocket and no smiles on your face if you try to run too long a bar on this saw, not to mention the strain on the saw, shortens the lifespan.

Learn to file, keep the chain sharp, give it some TLC and enjoy the saw for years to come.

Work safe.

Last edited:

Most folks would advise staying somewhere in the 3:1 to 4:1 range of cc:inches of bar to achieve good performance. I am inclined to agree with these ratios So with 42cc, you're looking at 10.5-14" bar being ideal for a saw of that displacement. A 16" would be OK, but anything larger than that will be asking more of the saw than the saw can be reasonably expected to deliver. Even the OEM 18" is a bit optimistic.

Back