Girdled tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjohnson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a 12-foot Lodgepole pine at a big discount because of some girdling at the base from some flat nylon tape used to hold the burllap on. I've enclosed a picture of the worst side of the trunk. I'd say that 1/2 of the circumference is unaffected, 1/2 has been cut into, and about 1/3 total was cut through the bark so sap flowed out.

What are the odds this makes it? Any advice on how to help it along? Will this area "heal" somehow, and if so, is there anything I can do to aid it?

Finally, aside from mixing in some mulch into the soil when planting and using some vitamin/root hormone stuff, should I also mix in any ferilizer into the soil as I fill the hole?

I'm all for 1-3, not sure #4 is needed or advisable on a pine.

I don't see the trunk flare in that photo, do you? Now that you've ungirdled the strap, carefully dig down to the buttress roots, and ungirdle any roots that circle those or the stem.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
If growing conditions for native spores aren't adequate, store bought exotics won't survive either.
Yes O2 and OM have to be there first, but when conditions are right, most products will do good, and none will do harm, so why not try em?
the micros in Mycor are native, not exotic, to most habitats.

If mulch is well-composted it can be a good soil amendment. That's just anticipating natural processes.

Latest posts

Back