"Give me your tired, your poor... junk saws..."

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Look what followed me home tonight...:rock:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some heavy-ass old J-red... No idea what model. Got a 28" Windsor Speed-tip on 'er though. Has spark and good compression. Slight scratching on the piston. Had an exhaust leak behind the muffler... so it was caked with crud. Handle bar has been "fixed"... so it will prolly need a new (used/old) one.

Not bad for a free saw...:)

However... What the heck modle J-red is this???:confused: :confused: :confused: No model number on it.

I needed another project like I needed a hole in my head...

Gary

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hm, looks a bit along this line Gary, somewhat near the year and size I'd guess 66E> http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...8be6c161c17051dd88256b69007f1514?OpenDocument or this 70E> http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...746133cbe7c59df388256d0a00051cc7?OpenDocument
Dunno, got tired of looking through the list there could be others similar or 'the one'. :D

Free is a great price that is always hard t pass up, congrats!

:cheers:

Serge

Right, it either a 70, 70E or 66E, I believe the most common of those are the 70E.

It is not an 801.

Any tell tale signs that would distinguish the 66E from the 70E? They look very similar on Mike Acre.

I didn't see any chain brake on it... but I only took the muffler off and there is no brake handle on the saw. It has an inboard clutch with rim sproket.

Gary

I believe you have to measure the bore, the 70 should be 50mm for 69cc, and the 66 47mm for 61cc....

Last edited:
Thanks Niko... looks like I will have to pull the cylinder on this one. How's parts availability for these old J-reds?

Gary
Parts and parts saws turn up pretty often on E-bay......

.....but I believe ignitions are pretty hard to find.

Last edited:
i just went through this

if theres one ring on the piston then chances are its a 70. i'm finding that some of the parts are interchangable.. especially coils.. an example being a 49sp coil on a 111s etc.

i used 70e gas caps on my 80... recoil spring sizes are different when you jump for the little guys to the bigger.. 66e and up..

northwoods on ebay is great... motorsag may be able to help too.

Thanks for the tips you guys...:rock:

I "mic'd" the bore (shoved a pencil through the exhaust port and touched the back of the cylinder... then marked the pencil and measured with a machinist's ruler... not 100% accurate, but worked!). It came out to dang near spot on 50mm. It also only has one piston ring.

Looks like I gots me a 70E...:clap:

Gary

Back