Help a newbie decide on a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a real fan of Echo saws. The 490 or 590 from all reports should fill your needs. But, the Stihl MS250 at the price would be a good saw for the duty you've described. I've got one and like it.

If I wanted to get a saw that I was going to keep forever, and it would be the only one I owned, it would be a Husky 346 XP. You can get them for around what you're wanting to pay, maybe a little more. Of course, opinions vary, but to me, it's the best feeling saw I've ever had in my hands.

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you to everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Over lunch today I picked up a new MS250 with 18" bar on sale for $299. When I eventually wear this chain out I will probably look for a good deal on a 16" bar and chain so I have a bit more versatility, but for now I'm sure the 18" bar will serve my needs just fine. Thanks for the feedback and insight, everyone!

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you to everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Over lunch today I picked up a new MS250 with 18" bar on sale for $299. When I eventually wear this chain out I will probably look for a good deal on a 16" bar and chain so I have a bit more versatility, but for now I'm sure the 18" bar will serve my needs just fine. Thanks for the feedback and insight, everyone!
Congrats! Give us a review after you've run it. I always like the longer bars. Saves on bending over so much and more reach for limbing. Just a thought.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

The MS250 is a nice little saw with some decent grunt! I cut loads of firewood in years past with an 025/18" bar.

Tips for longevity:
Use non-ethanol gas with good stabilizer and/or drain tank very well before storing, I think the 250 had some carb problems in the past and like most saws, will gum up. Shoot some defogger through the carb before letting it sit for long. Keep an eye on your air and fuel filters and clean or swap them out when dirty. Keep chain sharp-sharp-sharp so it does the work, not you.

When you get bored or want to look at a magnesium case pro version or just want another saw, be sure to post again and we'll be happy to help you spend more money :D

Congratulations. You have a nice little saw. I'm waiting to hear how the 18" bar and chain does for you. Even if you buy a pro saw later on, the MS250 can hold it's own for a small saw.

Congratulations. You have a nice little saw. I'm waiting to hear how the 18" bar and chain does for you. Even if you buy a pro saw later on, the MS250 can hold it's own for a small saw.

I will be using it for the first time this Sunday since I don't get home from work before dark now that the time shift has occurred. My hope nad intention is that I have over-bought for my current needs and planned for my future needs so this saw *should* be all that I need. Of course, we never know what the future might hold for us...

I will be using it for the first time this Sunday since I don't get home from work before dark now that the time shift has occurred. My hope nad intention is that I have over-bought for my current needs and planned for my future needs so this saw *should* be all that I need. Of course, we never know what the future might hold for us...
I bought the only saw I'd ever "need" over 10 yrs. ago. All the rest after that were just wants! You'll be going to camp just looking for bigger trees so you can justify getting a bigger saw! I had a single tree to thin for my girlfriend's brother a few weeks ago. Couldn't get to the saw shop fast enough to get a new top handle!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I'm still wondering what the Stihl 220 is........
Way to focus on a typo made by a newbie looking for recommendations. I'm sure this post made you feel better, knowing that you just proved to everyone on the interwebs how much more you know than me. I was originally deciding between the 211 and the 250.

Way to focus on a typo made by a newbie looking for recommendations. I'm sure this post made you feel better, knowing that you just proved to everyone on the interwebs how much more you know than me. I was originally deciding between the 211 and the 250.
No......There is a 220....but it is electric. Also a 250 electric.

I thought that might be in the mix originally. And it got dropped along with the electric part.
Many new folks will post something then delete it. I don’t keep up on all the new numbers........I’ve never bought a new Stihl saw. Or any for that matter. Haven’t been to a dealer in a few years. Thought there might be a new 220.

So you are returning the type of petty snarky remark you imagined someone said to you.

Hope you enjoy your saw......

PAX

No......There is a 220....but it is electric. Also a 250 electric.

I thought that might be in the mix originally. And it got dropped along with the electric part.
Many new folks will post something then delete it. I don’t keep up on all the new numbers........I’ve never bought a new Stihl saw. Or any for that matter. Haven’t been to a dealer in a few years. Thought there might be a new 220.

So you are returning the type of petty snarky remark you imagined someone said to you.

Hope you enjoy your saw......

PAX
My apologies for mis-reading your post.

Latest posts

Back