Help a newbie decide on a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coche1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm sure you get flooded with this type of question all of the time so I'll apologize in advance. I am a newbie looking to purchase my first chainsaw. I've used saws in the past, both good and bad when helping people fell trees, as well as cutting them up once they're on the ground. Most people I know use stihls and have had great experiences with them, so that's where I am starting to look. I am a basic homeowner with only 1/2 an acre of ground so I don't feel like I need a professional saw. My use will be primarily for taking down small trees and limb cleanup around my property. I am also a member of a hunting camp and I can see that in the future the responsibility of cutting firewood for the camp will begin to fall more onto my shoulders as the older members continue to age and turn their membership over (I am 35 years old and the youngest guy that currently helps on work weekends). So, I want to make sure that I get something capable of handling that duty which is really only 1 or 2 weekends each year as well as my light cleanup around the house.

I've been looking online and have it narrowed to either the 220 or 250 stihl, leaning toward the 250 since it is on sale for $299 right now at my local dealer compared to the 220 for $279. That said, I am not opposed to buying used either, but I really twisted around and confused when I start trying to cross-compare older model stihls with newer ones because their number system doesn't make intuitive sense to me. So, I guess I have a few questions to ask:

1. Does it sound like I'm honing in on the right saw for me needs - something like a new ms250 with 18" bar?
2. Would I be better off buying a similarly-sized professional saw used than a new homeowner model?
3. How do I know the quality/line of older model saws - is there some method of madness to the numbering system that I just haven't figured out yet?
4. How do you recommend I go about estimating value of a used saw, and what are some things to look for before buying one to tell how much life it has left in it (or how hard its been ridden to this point in its life)?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts!

Hey guys, I'm sure you get flooded with this type of question all of the time so I'll apologize in advance. I am a newbie looking to purchase my first chainsaw. I've used saws in the past, both good and bad when helping people fell trees, as well as cutting them up once they're on the ground. Most people I know use stihls and have had great experiences with them, so that's where I am starting to look. I am a basic homeowner with only 1/2 an acre of ground so I don't feel like I need a professional saw. My use will be primarily for taking down small trees and limb cleanup around my property. I am also a member of a hunting camp and I can see that in the future the responsibility of cutting firewood for the camp will begin to fall more onto my shoulders as the older members continue to age and turn their membership over (I am 35 years old and the youngest guy that currently helps on work weekends). So, I want to make sure that I get something capable of handling that duty which is really only 1 or 2 weekends each year as well as my light cleanup around the house.

I've been looking online and have it narrowed to either the 220 or 250 stihl, leaning toward the 250 since it is on sale for $299 right now at my local dealer compared to the 220 for $279. That said, I am not opposed to buying used either, but I really twisted around and confused when I start trying to cross-compare older model stihls with newer ones because their number system doesn't make intuitive sense to me. So, I guess I have a few questions to ask:

1. Does it sound like I'm honing in on the right saw for me needs - something like a new ms250 with 18" bar?
2. Would I be better off buying a similarly-sized professional saw used than a new homeowner model?
3. How do I know the quality/line of older model saws - is there some method of madness to the numbering system that I just haven't figured out yet?
4. How do you recommend I go about estimating value of a used saw, and what are some things to look for before buying one to tell how much life it has left in it (or how hard its been ridden to this point in its life)?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts!

At $300 you’re right around a decent used ms361 that you could find on here and you’d be happy as can be and not have to worry about not having enough saw. Just my $.02

1. An MS251 or similar would be more than adequate from the Stihl lineup for what you're looking to do. It would probably be overkill for maintaining 1/2 acre, but would do nicely for future firewood duty.
2. I would not say unequivocally yes. Your mechanical skills, good dealer support, and how you approach tool purchase all play into that decision.
3. For most older Stihl models, a white rear handle indicates a pro model mag case saw, with orange rear handles being homeowner plastic clam shell models. Also an 0xx saw is the same as an MSxx0 saw(example 036 and MS360>, with the two numbers being the model number. From there you can google "Stihl *model number* specs" to get model information.
4. EBay, the trading post on this site, and your local offer up, letgo, Craigslist, etc are great tools for determining value. Cosmetic condition of the powerhead plastic and paint on the bar are general indicators of "mileage" and abuse that a saw has had.

Good advice on the echo saws. Both are great saws. I think the 250 may be a little small for your needs. It would be fine for home maintenance but probably a little small for firewood. I've always found a good saw in the 50cc range to be great all around saw. Lots of really good choices available. I would suggest visiting a few dealers and handling a few different models.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Buying used saws can be a risk. Chainsaws usually get treated terribly. Run hard, neglected, and then put away wet.

Unless you can save some serious money, and you happen across a used saw in fantastic condition, I'd buy new all day long. The Stihl MS-250 is a good saw, and will last as long as a pro-saw, as long as you take good care of it, don't ask more of it than what it was designed for, and maintain it well.

The MS-250 will always have parts availability and is one of the most popular saws Stihl has made. Use good full-synth. oil for the mix and ethanol-free gas if it's available in your area. Don't use old gas!

I think most Stihl dealers will give you a complimentary storage / carry case for your saw. That's a $30.00 or so value. Most will throw in an extra chain if you ask them nicely. ;)

Anyways, whatever you end up with, be safe and best of luck.

Thanks for the feedback all! What is a good bar length? I am thinking 18" "feels right" when I've looked at them in stores, but am open to other suggestions as well... Most of the trees we're cutting for firewood at camp are 12-14" diameter and already dead. Maybe a 16" bar would be sufficient? Are there big drawbacks to going with a longer bar?

Thanks for the feedback all! What is a good bar length? I am thinking 18" "feels right" when I've looked at them in stores, but am open to other suggestions as well... Most of the trees we're cutting for firewood at camp are 12-14" diameter and already dead. Maybe a 16" bar would be sufficient? Are there big drawbacks to going with a longer bar?

16" or 18" bar would be a personal preference decision. Either should do what you want.

I have an MS-261 C-M. It came with a 20" bar, but I also have an 18" for it as well.

I run a 20" almost all the time. Saves from bending over so much. You'll lose some power with the longer bars but for typical firewood cutting it's not much of a big deal. 18" would be fine also.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

18” bar on either of the 2 Echos will work fine. MAYBE a 20” on the 590 but definitely an 18” on the 490.

Lots of Echo love here. The OP asked mainly about Stihl so I answered with that lineup. If we were to go past that and he/she had a Dolmar/Makita dealer close I would recommend checking out that lineup.

Lots of Echo love here. The OP asked mainly about Stihl so I answered with that lineup. If we were to go past that and he/she had a Dolmar/Makita dealer close I would recommend checking out that lineup.

The Maruyama MCV 51, a rebranded Dolmar 5105, or a Dolmar 5105 would also be good choices in the 50 cc class.

The Maruyama MCV 51, a rebranded Dolmar 5105, or a Dolmar 5105 would also be good choices in the 50 cc class.
This was my first recommendation for a thread like this before the Amazon deal dried up. I've been in and out of the Dolmar version. Fantastic saw!

I hear ya... I know there are equally great saws made by Stihl, Dolmar, etc. I'm partly going with Echo because my friend recommended these saws. He has a small engine repair business and is an Echo dealer.

This was my first recommendation for a thread like this before the Amazon deal dried up. I've been in and out of the Dolmar version. Fantastic saw!

Amazon had a good deal on them? If so, maybe they will again as we get closer to the holiday shopping season.

Latest posts

Back