Newbie with saw questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noisemaker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I keep coming across this site when I search for stuff on Google, so I figured I'd join. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I've got a long intro and some saw questions. You can skip it and check the bullet points at the end if you don't want to read.

I burn 3 to 5 cord a year, which means I need to drop/buck/split 3 to 5 cord or better a year, however this year I'll be doing about 10 cord because a friend had some trees dropped and I'm taking it all. The number may go up more as the electric company will be coming around to drop stuff at friends houses and I've told them to ask the electric company to leave it behind and I'll take it, so I may end up at 14 cord by the end of the season; not a bad problem to have.

I've got two saws; one that works and one that's broken. Both are Poulan PP5020AV models. I bought one because it was in my price point and I thought 50cc would be enough saw for me for 3-5 cord a year. On the first one I bought the recoil failed, but it was repaired under warranty, while it was in for repair I "needed a saw" and didn't have the money on hand to buy a pro saw, so I just took another PP5020AV off the shelf and got to work. A year later, and that saw is now broken and in for warranty repair (break broken in the on position & bar adjuster snapped off).

The past two years I had the low kickback chains on my saws, this year I picked up an LGX chain and it made a world of a difference on my saw. However the bar on my working saw is more or less done now (the rails are spread so the chain leans & pulls; I'm cutting crescents). I'm ordering an Oregon 160RNDK095 16" bar for it and two LGX chains, as well as another poulan 20" bar for the LGX chain I've already got.

What killed my Poulans was my putting them through trees they had no business being put through. The first year I cut a lot of dirty wood, the second year I cut a lot of wood where I buried the bar and did double cuts to get through it - dropped a semi-rotted 36" diameter tree. The drop was fine, but the bucking is what killed the saws. This year I've got some 24" stuff to buck (it's already down) so again, that poor Poulan is getting beat on; I also have to noodle some stuff that's too heavy for me to lift into the bed of a truck by hand. On top of that I tend to get rough on saws towards the end of the day and push a dull chain when I should stop and run a file across it, I 'm working on that though. I tend to buck for a couple hours three nights a week and spend an entire Saturday or Sunday bucking. I only cut in the fall and spring.

My thought right now is to pick up a pro saw, something in the 60-70cc range, which will do the majority of the work for me and keep the Poulans for the smaller stuff and/or as backups, but now I'm wondering if something like a 460 rancher will do the trick for me, which is pretty much the biggest thing you can get at a box store.

There is a Jonsered dealer up the street from me, the owner is a nice guy, and they have a good reputation; I was thinking a j-red 2166 would be more than enough to do the trick for me, but the buy in is pretty high for a guy who does this just for himself, hence looking at the 460. The nearest Husqvarna dealers is a bit of a haul although I understand the husq/j-red are essentially the same. I've kinda got a soft spot since I grew up cutting with my dads old jonsereds and they just cut whatever whenever, which is why I developed some bad habbits (cutting with a dull chain, burying the bar, etc.).

There is a Stihl dealer not too far from me, like a 10 minute drive but I don't know the dealers reputation.

So to bullet point it for you:
I am a homeowner that does it for personal use
I do 3 to 5 cord a year, with the occasional 10 cord or better year
24" dia and smaller, with the occasional big stuff
have two homeowner 50cc Poulan saws, one is usually in working order
will have a 20" poulan bar and a 16" oregon bar for them with LGX chains.

questions:
will a 460 rancher, ms311/ms391 do the trick for me or should I just suck it up and buy a pro saw?
if pro saw - will the 2166 j-red do the trick or be too much saw?

Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate the opinions.

Welcome to A.S.

If I was cutting 24 inch wood on a regular basis, I would want a 70cc saw. If it was occasionally, I might go with a 60cc saw. But seeing as you already have a couple of 50cc saws, it makes more sense to go with the larger one as part of a '2-saw plan'.

A used saw can be a good deal if you feel comfortable with it. Otherwise look at STIHL, Huysqvarna/Jonsered, and Dolmar/Makita models. If you are looking at a 60cc saw, also look at the ECHO models as well.

Philbert

I am in the same boat at you. I cut firewood for myself. I cut usually under 20" but do get into 30"-40" stuff if I want. I made the jump to a pro saw. MS460.
Its unreal. that jump from homeowner to pro stuff. I wont buy another non-pro saw again.

Go for a pro saw in the 70cc class (pick your brand) and you will be a happy camper for many years.

Welcome to AS, CT is only a stone's throw from here.

You have told us what you plan to cut, which helps, but the saw that fits you will also depend on your build and cutting style. New saws have some advantages, but are more expensive, if you are mechanically inclined, used pro saws are a better value.

The Stihl, Husky, Jonny PRO saws in the 60 - 70 cc class are expensive, but will meet your needs and last a long time. I still have a Stihl 044 I bought almost 22 years ago and it still may be my favorite saw. The Echo 590 is the bargain out there (about $400), it is a reliable saw but not quite the same features or pwr/wt ratio as the other pro saws. There are also some good Dolmars out there.

Go to various stores and heft them and see how they feel to you, and run them if U can. If you can go to GTG on Sat, you will get to run about any kind of saw U want, stock or ported. It is a great experience and will really help U to decide what is best for your needs.

Some saws may feel light, some strong, some smooth, and some may have it all. Some of it will be subjective. Some people are more sensitive to vibration than others, and some saws with good AV may feel too mushy to some.

Keep in mind that it will likely be a long term tool, and quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten. Also, if various people test the same saws, they will not all pick the same ones.

Good Luck with your decision, and I apologize in advance with overloading U with info, we are good at that here!

Wow thanks for all the replies guys - I'm not against going used, it's just a matter of finding something in my area to pick up used that I trust. It also looks like a pro saw in the 70cc range is where I should go, I didn't think I was crazy for looking at them with what I've been cutting, but the confirmation is appreciated (unless you're all crazy too, but either way I'm good.)
The reason I was leaning towards j-red was a dealer is up the street from my house, so service would be easy if I needed it; obviously I plan to do as much on my own as I can - I'm a pretty handy guy, I grew up driving a vintage mustang, which meant I grew up with a ratchet in my hand, so repairs aren't an issue I just need some time between repairs, as long as it can get me through the season before I tare it down I'm good. I also don't want a money pit, granted there are wear parts and I expect that.

I've got a lot of reading still to do - a chainsaw used to be something I used, like most people see cars, but now I'm delving more into it and I want to learn all I need to, followed by all I can.

What would a used 70cc j-red/stihl/husky go for anyways?

Keeping your eyes open when at a home depot, is a good option for a budget minded guy. You can pick up a used rental saw, makita(dolmar) 6421 , for around 325.00.
I have found that their "list" of tools to be sold, usually comes out about the 7th of every
Month. fwiw.

There are a few people on this site that have recently offered 10mm 044s (externally beat up, but good runners) for under $400. IMO, you will not find a better 70 cc saw unless you get it ported. The powerhead is about 14 lbs and they run very strong with minor modifications you can do URself (HD-2 filter & DP muff cover).

I have 2 of them if U want to see what they are like, I'm less than an hour from U. Also, if U want to go to GTG, I can give U a ride from here. That way U can try lots of different saws and see what U like.

Mike, thanks for the input; I'll look into 044's; 14lbs doesn't sound too horrible compared to what I'm running already, and the fact that it's a 70cc saw means it will ge the job done for me.
I'd love to go to the GTG but my sons baptism is that day, if I miss that the misses will most likely turn a saw on me. I'll keep my feelers out for saws.

Go to the AS trading section "Want to Sell" wkeev has a 10 mm 044 PHO for $350 & shipping. Not a beauty queen, but fully rebuilt, 165 psi, it would make a great working saw at a great price.

My offer to U to see what one of these runs like is still open. The general consensus is that 372s are stronger ported, but the 10 mm 044s are stronger unported.

I think nmurph may also have one for sale, and I'm sure I recently saw another, but that 1st one sounds real nice for a working saw.

Latest posts

Back