glad to have a wood stove

• Thread starter Deleted member 116684
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 116684

Its gonna get cold all aver the country tomorrow. Heat pumps all over will be whining and struggling to keep houses warm. Mine used to do the same thing. And then the power bill came in...
But for the past four years, I've been staying warmer and spending a lot less.
I get to split wood. Run a chainsaw. My little family gathers in the den to be around the stove. Good times. good memories with the little ones. Yep.
glad to have a wood stove.

I'm glad i have one too! I have mine in the basement, hooked to my ductwork, it pushes the heat all through the house (central heat) and i have plenty of firewood right here on my place, to feed it.

SR

Me Too! Its 27 degrees outside rite now...and this is in Northern Louisiana. Seldom does it get that cold, and tomorrow its gonna be 16! Yes very glad to have a wood burner! And even more glad to be able to process the fuel to feed the stove!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes a good amount of wood to do it, but when I've been outside and feel a little chilly I'll let the 35 year old Hearthstone really breathe.

It takes a good amount of wood to do it, but when I've been outside and feel a little chilly I'll let the 35 year old Hearthstone really breathe.

That's just too damn hot.

Me Too! Its 27 degrees outside rite now...and this is in Northern Louisiana.

thats cold for the south. I heard it might get to the twenties in northern florida...

How do you keep your house that warm? The only room that stays that warm in my house is the stove room.

Yup it's around zero here with a windchill in the -20 area. They say that is the days high and it's gonna drop. Sure feels good sittin next to the stove.

I have a tri level. When the stove is cranking you can feel the cold air rushing past your feet to get to the stove. The thermostat is on the opposite end as the stove. In the stove room it's more like 90° . I'm pretty happy with the setup.

To keep my entire house warm I can run just the blower on my furnace which draws like .6 of an amp. It will circulate the heat from my wood stove throughout the house.

To keep my entire house warm I can run just the blower on my furnace which draws like .6 of an amp. It will circulate the heat from my wood stove throughout the house.
That's what I do, but my blower draws around 500 to 600W. Is yours running off 240V?

That's what I do, but my blower draws around 500 to 600W. Is yours running off 240V?
I run the blower on my stove on low 110v and then my actual furnace is an ecm two stage 230v blower so it's super efficient. It circulates and mixes the warm wood stove air with the cooler air in the back bedrooms. It's -11 right now and 74 degrees in here. Last month with my furnace and stove blower running 24-7 my total electric bill was only $108 and I'm on a rural electric utility with expensive kwh rates.

I run the blower on my stove on low 110v and then my actual furnace is an ecm two stage 230v blower so it's super efficient. It circulates and mixes the warm wood stove air with the cooler air in the back bedrooms. It's -11 right now and 74 degrees in here. Last month with my furnace and stove blower running 24-7 my total electric bill was only $108 and I'm on a rural electric utility with expensive kwh rates.
OK, so you're at around 140VA. Mine is a big old single speed blower on the disconnected old furnace air handler. I keep meaning to change the pulleys to slow it down, which should reduce the power draw. I should also measure the draw more carefully, as it may not be quite as high as I remembered.

I can run my woodstove with or without the blower fan, it just does a better job of "central heating" with the blower running. Actually, it has two small blowers, one comes on, if i need more heat than that, a bigger fire brings the second one on line, or it cycles on and off as needed...as it did last night when it was 8* out and windy.

I live way out in the country and my highest electric bill this winter so far, was $78 bucks and there's always a TV, puters ect. on, over here...

SR

I just think wood stove heat "feels" good. Lots better than furnace heat. I can come in the house after unloading the truck & swinging the fiskars for a couple hours. Sit in the lazy boy by the stove and just enjoy the wood heat. I'll be 55 this year & it seems to feel better every year.

OK, so you're at around 140VA. Mine is a big old single speed blower on the disconnected old furnace air handler. I keep meaning to change the pulleys to slow it down, which should reduce the power draw. I should also measure the draw more carefully, as it may not be quite as high as I remembered.

Slowing down the fan should also lessen the "cooling effect" felt as you walk past the heat registers that are blowing only mildly warm air. We have a variable speed fan on our gas furnace that when the heat's not on runs continuously at about 35% of full speed.

Slowing down the fan should also lessen the "cooling effect" felt as you walk past the heat registers that are blowing only mildly warm air. We have a variable speed fan on our gas furnace that when the heat's not on runs continuously at about 35% of full speed.
No doubt. I need to be cautious with it though, as even at present fan speed I have a hard time keeping that room below 100 at times. I also need to get in there and clean the fan fins - they've got junk built up on them that's definitely reducing the output.

Latest posts

Back