Glad to have found this forum :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remiskeet

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My name is Eoin (Ian), and although I am not "New" to chainsaws, I have developed a renewed interest in how they work and how to keep them working well. Most of my Google searches have eventually led to the Arboristsite forums.

I purchased a McCulloch PM425AV18 in 1998. Over the years, I've rebuilt the carb, changed to Oregon bar and VersaCut chain. It continues to serve me well. That model was sold at Canadian Tire stores. My searches have suggested that it "might" also be referred to as MS1838av or Mac Cat 839 in different locales .

In 2020, a coworker , who was moving into an apartment, gifted me his Troy-Bilt TB3516cc. It appears to be the same as /similar to a McCulloch MCC1635AV. It had a 16 inch bar with a very dull chain. It barely ran when I got it. At that time I didn't have a compression gauge , but the ease with which the starter rope could be pulled, suggested that compression was low. When I pulled the muffler, the portions of the cylinder/piston visible were not scored but rings were not moving. I filled the chamber with Red Armor, and left it sit for 3 days. After draining the oil, the compression "felt" better . After initial smoking on startup , it settled down to a steady , but elevated idle (which I promptly adjusted down to stop chain moving). Since then , I have gone to a 14 inch Oregon bar with a VersaCut chain.

I have recently purchased a compression gauge , inductive tachometer/hour , long Torx bit for my driver.

Great Site, glad to be here.

Thanks
Eoin

Thanks Gents
Lots of friends and extended family from NL. You can take a Newfoundlander out of Newfoundland, but you can't take the Newfoundland out of a Newfoundlander. Or so my experience has been. Made a few trips to Newfoundland in the '80s and '90s. Enjoyed every minute of it. :)

Thanks! In what little free time I have, I've been reading lots of posts on this site. Mostly safety and PPE related. I figure that although I have used chainsaws off and on for 40 yrs, I can always pick up info that might just save a life or a limb. :)

Nah brother the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. Plenty of good knowledgeable people here that will answer anything you ask.

Latest posts

Back