Gloat! Free Fresh Flippin' Logs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I took off work a little early today and went down the county to see if I could find a guy who I knew to have a wood mizer..didn't know what model he had and kinda lost interest as I found out it was one of the monster saws...all hydraulic..still want to meet him though..so I tooled on home and passed a logging operation..stopped to ask what a fresh load of pine would set me back...I explained to the guy what I was doing and he got interested seems he hs a soft spot for little millers..so he gave me a semi truckload of cypress..all I can haul...most of it is pretty small, but that won't even slow me down..the biggest log in the pile is maybe 18" but I'm not gonna gripe...

Needless to say, I did not get to mill today...gotta block of it set in front of the stove with warm air blowing across it...smells GOOD!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I took off work a little early today and went down the county to see if I could find a guy who I knew to have a wood mizer..didn't know what model he had and kinda lost interest as I found out it was one of the monster saws...all hydraulic..still want to meet him though..so I tooled on home and passed a logging operation..stopped to ask what a fresh load of pine would set me back...I explained to the guy what I was doing and he got interested seems he hs a soft spot for little millers..so he gave me a semi truckload of cypress..all I can haul...most of it is pretty small, but that won't even slow me down..the biggest log in the pile is maybe 18" but I'm not gonna gripe...

Needless to say, I did not get to mill today...gotta block of it set in front of the stove with warm air blowing across it...smells GOOD

That should be enough "practice" logs for you.

Mark

Way cool Zopi! Ya, I like the smell of cypress too, almost as much as juniper. I have no idea why but it gives me the munchies :D

;)

:cheers:

Serge (lookin' foward to see some pics of what you do with that, I've seen some beautiful wainscotting (sp) made out of it and it being a fairly durable aromatic I'm betting it would make great outdoor furniture too, just guessin there)

Good score

[QUOTE=zopi;855360]I took off work a little early today and went down the county to see if I could find a guy who I knew to have a wood mizer..didn't know what model he had and kinda lost interest as I found out it was one of the monster saws...all hydraulic..still want to meet him though..so I tooled on home and passed a logging operation..stopped to ask what a fresh load of pine would set me back...I explained to the guy what I was doing and he got interested seems he hs a soft spot for little millers..so he gave me a semi truckload of cypress..all I can haul...most of it is pretty small, but that won't even slow me down..the biggest log in the pile is maybe 18" but I'm not gonna gripe...

Thanks for the pics Zopi.Yep ,that'll keep ya busy.
Just love the lure of opportunity that you capitalised on .It's certainly spurs you on.GOOD CATCH - GOD LOVES YA.
Do you know what type of Cypress ? Pretty good in the ground for posts -don't think the bugs like it either except for the pinhole(surface/harmless)borer.We call it the poormans cedar.Love that smell,stays with ya for days after milling.

:clap: :cheers:

Last edited:
we had a house built out of it in so. la. it was built in 1913..the only houses that survived camille were cedar...of course it did not survive Katrina...it was 70 miles s. of NOLA...

Ive seen it used in everything from outdoor furniture and decks to panelling, to board floors...it makes gorgeous cabinets...the japanese use a similar cypress
)Different genus/species) in building temples.

I have a cypress stump knot around here that is as hard as stone..y'know, the
thingy that sticks up outta the swamp after the tree is long gone.

WOW, what a score. Several years ago I bought about 200 bf of cypress to use in making a suna in my basement. It was real nice wood for that, looks good and smells good. You will be ready for a big swinger or a bandsaw by the time you get that all cut.

Excellent Score - :clap: - now I want to see that lot sorted by Monday, stacked and stickered and no complaining about a bad back!

yeah..lemme get on that...guy said he would buck and load for me..i'll be out there this afternoon and tomorrow hauling...gotta phlat place in the yard for 'em...

sawed will take awhile, but i'll have them sealed and stacked waitning for the mill....

Well a buddy of mine came out this morning to help me load logs..after I loaded some six footers to learn how to use the mill on...well the guy that gave me the logs showed up and brought over a skidder and log loader..job got a whole lot easier..he said i've got to run up to another patch of timber,
but you guys have fun! y'know...a big john deere skidder is alot of fun to play with...we got three loads out ranging from seven feet to 17 feet, and one monster that is probably 24" and 16 ft long...haven't figured out exactly how much wood there is tho'

I did cruise down into the slash piles in that skidder and fish out some little poplars and yellow pine tho...

Nice score Zopi, way to start off the new year, and meeting new folks too.:clap: :clap:

oh yeah..ol' boy is most keen to find someone who is willing to mill 10" cypress and poplar...hell...keep me in logs and I'll mill whatever you want...says he might have a bunch of white oak for me soon...:jawdrop:

I drooled at a 22" beech left standing down there today too...it was arrow straight and the log hhad to be 30' tall....

Got the last bit today...they gave me two logs..22" and 20" at the butt, and 25'
long...had to cut a few feet off, couldn't get the trailer out full length..

I'll get some pics in the next few days..the little camera got washed...gotta get the big one out.

I think i'm done hauling logs for awhile...unless someone offers me some bookcases..uhhh..i mean red oak...

Looks like you made out like a bandit! My back is hurting just thinking about all that milling! Have fun,and don't hurt yourself in the process. Looks like you'll have enough cutoffs for a lot of woodstove fires!!!!

yeah...those fellas were pretty good to me...gonna do some sawin' for 'em,
and they have already said they will have some more wood for me...

heh...yeah..I'm looking forward to having alot of slabs...they are easier to handle than cordwood...drop em in a buck frame and cut 'em by the dozen..

Why is he cutting it if he cant sell it?

I would like to get my hands on a deal like that, I see about 100 new beehives in that pile:D

Why is he cutting it if he cant sell it?

I would like to get my hands on a deal like that, I see about 100 new beehives in that pile:D

Mill won't buy 10" logs or smaller....guy is pretty nice...gave me the big ones because they were damaged on the outside of the log...i guess...

the plot they were cut off of was cleared partly and select cut partly...I'm not gonna bug him about it...just gonna cut the 8x's he wants when he swings by..:blob2:

Back