Global Warming we could use some of that right now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWO

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We could use some of that Global Warming down hear in southeast Alabama. I live in southeast Alabama about 25-30 miles from Florida and normally we have are garden tilled and planted now but the cold will not go away it’s 18 this morning and cold and to think March is just almost here. Well… maybe March we can start tilling and planting.
dum question but don't wear cloves anybody got a way to keep there feet and hands warm and be about to work out and the wind and sawing and be able to use your hands on metal.

Easy answer: Buy/wear gloves. Otherwise, keep hothands packets in your pockets to warm your hands frequently. I don't like to climb with gloves, so when I'm up a tree and my hands start to go numb, just engage the chain brake, and use the saw exhaust to warm your hands.

IMO its the global warming which is causing the extreme weather patterns we've been seeing for the last few years. Many/strong hurricanes, day long, super windstorms in the pacific northwest, historic ice storms in the midwest, 10 foot snowfalls in the northeast. It snowed for the first time EVER (recorded history) in the United Arab Emirates about a year and a half ago.

We humans have done alot of damage to our planet since the industrial revolution. We have too many people using too many rescources, without much thought of the effects of our actions.

Can't wear gloves but thanks.

Global warming would be a perfect government program being you can't prove or disprove it but here are some of the extreme weather patterns that we've been seeing for the last few years. I guest it's not so bad after all it's not 2 degrees below zero like Florida in February 13, 1899

February 1, 1951 -
The greatest ice storm of record in the US produced a layer of ice up to 4 inches thick from Texas to Pennsylvania causing 25 deaths, 500 serious injuries, and 100 million dollars damage. Communications and utilities were interrupted for a week to 10 days.

February 2, 1789 -
Extreme cold occurred on Ground Hog day. It dropped to 28 degrees below zero at Hartford, Connecticut and 18 degrees below zero near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

February 11, 1899 -
The greatest of all arctic outbreaks commenced. The record low temperature for Washington, DC was set when the temperature fell to 15 degrees below zero.

February 12, 1899 -
It was the coldest morning ever in the eastern Great Plains and eastern Texas. Kansas city, Missouri bottomed out at 22 degrees below zero. Fort Worth, Texas dropped to 8 degrees below. Camp Clarke, Nebraska recorded 47 degrees below zero. In the east, Washington, DC recorded 15 degrees below zero and Charleston, South Carolina received 3.9 inches of snow.

February 13, 1899 -
It was the coldest morning ever along the Gulf Coast, with temperatures of 6.8 degrees at New Orleans, Louisiana, 7 degrees at Pensacola, Florida and 1 degree below zero at Mobile, Alabama. The record low temperature for the state of Florida was set at Tallahassee when the mercury tumbled to 2 degrees below zero. The record low temperature for the state of Louisiana was set at Minden, when the thermometer fell to 16 degrees below zero. A trace of snow fell at Fort Myers, Florida. This was the farthest south snow has ever been observed in the US until 1977. The coldest temperature ever recorded at Dayton, Ohio occurred when it dropped to 28 degrees below zero. On the edge of the greatest arctic outbreak of all time, a vicious blizzard pounded the mid-Atlantic and New England states. 20 inches of snow fell at Washington, DC and 34 inches fell at Cape May, New Jersey. The central pressure of the storm was estimated to be 966 millibars (28.53 inches) just southeast of Nantucket, Massachusetts.
February 16, 1958 -
One of the greatest snowstorms of the mid 20th century struck the northeast. 39 inches of snow fell at Callicoon, New York. Boston, Massachusetts recorded 19.4 inches that was the greatest 24-hour snowfall ever recorded until January 1978. The same storm dumped 14 inches at Washington, DC and 15.5 inches at Baltimore, Maryland. 43 people were killed as a result of the storm and damage totaled $500 million.

February 24, 1852 -
The Susquehanna River ice bridge at Havre de Grace, Maryland began to break up after 40 days of use. A total of 1738 loaded freight cars were hauled along the rails laid on the ice.

If only it were that easy. Until then, lets follow GW and open ANWR to oil drilling!!!!!!!!!!!! (and lets give halliburton some more contracts)
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorry. Off the soapbox now. J/K guys. Seriously though, the crazy weather does seem to be related. That "1-3 degrees average" might really mean like 10-15 degree temperature swings from normal during the summer and winter. Crazy huh?? That movie "the day after tomorrow" might not be so ridiculous.

If only it were that easy. Until then, lets follow GW and open ANWR to oil drilling!!!!!!!!!!!! (and lets give halliburton some more contracts)
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorry. Off the soapbox now. J/K guys. Seriously though, the crazy weather does seem to be related. That "1-3 degrees average" might really mean like 10-15 degree temperature swings from normal during the summer and winter. Crazy huh?? That movie "the day after tomorrow" might not be so ridiculous.

We humans have done alot of damage to our planet since the industrial revolution. We have too many people using too many rescources, without much thought of the effects of our actions.[/QUOTE]

hmmmm, so you mill with a handsaw, or a horse drawn saw? Hopefully you're replanting after you cut with your handsaw. Guess woodshop is right, us humans gotta go. Personally I live a simple as possible , but still rely on gas to run my vehicles and saws, etc. Lets all listen to Algore preach with the roar of his personal jet in the background. Its easy to preach and not follow what you preach.

stony----100% right--some people try and preach something--thats false--and lead others to follow---and support them--that way they dont have to acually work a job for a living--live off someone else--cause they are tooo important---and i can see the forest for the trees

stony----100% right--some people try and preach something--thats false--and lead others to follow---and support them--that way they dont have to acually work a job for a living--live off someone else--cause they are tooo important---and i can see the forest for the trees

amen to that:rockn:

Global warming

:blob2: The most global warming occurs when Algore(Igor's cousin) opens his mouth. I wish he would come to Maryland and speak for an hour or two- that should raise the temps a good bit. To paraphrase Mark Twain: Algore is a man who has been educated above his level of intelligence.:jester:

Do you guys really believe that "global warming" is just a catch phrase created by people in government?

Forget what every politician in history has ever said about global warming. Forget the $$$ based arguments. Forget all the rhetoric.

Think about it in simple, common sense terms.

Every single year during the last century, worldwide, the total acres of carbon filtering, oxygen producing woodland has been reduced. Dramatically.

At the same time, the world's population has increased. Dramatically. So has our consumption of fossil fuels. In 1900 the worldwide CO2 emmissions were estimated to be roughly 45K million metric tons. The 1995 estimate was 931K million metric tons.

Stats link: http://pdf.wri.org/wr98_ac3.pdf

Through air samples trapped in ice, scientists have established that super-volcano eruptions, singular events, have released enough CO2 to alter global weather for decades or centuries.

The earths weather is cyclical. It gets hotter and colder. The seas rise and fall. Deserts become rainforests, oceans become plains. These things happen, many times in relation to the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere. But they happen so slowly that we can only see the evidence of it by reviewing tiny clues left behind. Now we're adding fuel to the fire of the natural cycles.

So how is it possible that we can pump enormous levels of CO2 into our atmosphere, while lowering the amount of trees available to filter that carbon, and not see any effects from our actions?

I'm not trying to preach. I'm certainly not interested in the politics of this argument. I'm as guilty for contributing to the problem as the next guy.

But to say that the problem does not exhist, simply because you dont want to believe it, is foolhardy.

I stand behind my original statement. I don't care how unpopular it is, because it's true. There are too many humans on earth. We use too many rescources. We don't think of/understand the consequences of our actions.

I stand behind my original statement. I don't care how unpopular it is, because it's true. There are too many humans on earth. We use too many rescources. We don't think of/understand the consequences of our actions.
...and all this time I thought this was a milling and sawmills forum.

Not to sound cynical, but numbers and statistics don't impress me much. I use both every day at work, and know how easily they can be manipulated to make just about any case one wants.

If there are some that would rather use a stone ax secured to the end of a stick using cat gut... I certainly wouldn't stop them. I however am going to continue to use the earths resources to fuel my van, my chainsaws and mills, and anything else needed to procure wood. btw, many of us DO indeed "think of/understand" the consequences of our actions.

"I'm not trying to preach. I'm certainly not interested in the politics of this argument. I'm as guilty for contributing to the problem as the next guy.

But to say that the problem does not exhist, simply because you dont want to believe it, is foolhardy.

I stand behind my original statement. I don't care how unpopular it is, because it's true. There are too many humans on earth. We use too many rescources. We don't think of/understand the consequences of our actions."[/QUOTE]

I remember, in the late 70's when I was about my sons age, the expert scientists also believed in a phenomenom called global cooling. Yes the oposite of global warming. We were all going to freeze to death, and one of their plans to fix it was to spread ash over the polar ice caps to catch more of the suns heat. I'm with woodshop on this one also, numbers can be manipulated to say whatever you want. To take it a step further science can be altered to get the results you want.
With that said, I am changing nothing. I live a simple life, probably like a lot of folks here. I work from home, drive an average of 10 miles a week, much of that offroad on my own land, hauling firewood or lumber. I heat with wood, have since 91 simply because heating with oil is expensive in an old drafty house. I grow some of my own food, try to only cut dead, dying, or fallen down trees. I compost..bla bla bla. I like most folks here ARE AWARE OF WHAT WE DO. Its usually those who stand on a high horse and preach that are the biggest energy users, and a larger part of the problem than me. If my life gets any simpler I will only be using hand tools, and thats just not going to happen.
I noticed most of the forums were hit with global warming questions , coments yesterday. Hmmmmm, call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think we might have been hit by a bunch of tree huggers trying to get a message out.:deadhorse: Can we please get back to milling?!:greenchainsaw:

Back to the cold fingers question

"but don't wear cloves anybody got a way to keep there feet and hands warm and be about to work out and the wind and sawing and be able to use your hands on metal."

Bare hands on cold metal is almost impossible to solve. There is one solution known, but no sane person would do this. In England and other places it has been observed that the workers, (primarily women), who handle and fillet frozen fish with their bare hands get used to ice. Their circulation improves enough so that they can do that for several hours a day without pain. Mountaineers from Germany studied this and to climb the North Face of the Eiger in winter they simply soaked their hands in ice water, while flexing them, for hours a day. If you do try this and can still type, please tell us how it worked out.

Some other reasonable tricks to keeping your hands warm:
1) Skip tobacco, nicotine constricts your blood vessels, (like global warming - this isn't proven - it just that it occurs every time you smoke or chew), decreasing your circulation etc.
2) Dress to be warm all over your body, especially your head. Making sure your head is warm will help your hands a little,
3) With regard to metal on skin; could you consider wearing ultra thin nylon or similar gloves? They can work pretty well in it's just getting cold scenarios.
4) Costa Rica.

2) Dress to be warm all over your body, especially your head. Making sure your head is warm will help your hands a little,
3) With regard to metal on skin; could you consider wearing ultra thin nylon or similar gloves? They can work pretty well in it's just getting cold scenarios.
Smokechase, I concur on both #2 and 3 above. I saw a good show on Discovery channel not long ago where the Swedish army did some testing, and found that keeping the core and head of your body warm not only keeps blood warmer, thus your extremities warmer, but there were other physiological things going on in the brain that kept the body from shutting down blood to extremities, as it does when core gets cold. Interesting documentary.

At work I often have to wear those thin latex gloves in the field when servicing wells and equipment because of the biohazard danger. I found that in very cold weather, even though they are thin and no insulation whatsoever, they did keep my hands a little warmer than when I didn't have them on. At the very least, they kept the cold wind from directly hitting my skin. In summer I hate wearing them because your hands start to sweat and get hot and uncomfortable.

I love winter.:heart: The cold is where it is at for me. Don't like cold hands or feet but I wear gloves and good boots. I do not look forward to the warm weather that is bound to come. Lets enjoy while we can soon it will be hot and sticky and hard to get anything done.

Back