Glove Experiment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I'm frustrated with my gloves. I currently have two different kinds. One is the cheap suede kind that you can buy for about 1.89 a pair. Those grip the firewood pretty well when you are chucking it, but they wear out really fast. The other pair I have is smooth leather and they wear much better but are slick and it's hard to one-hand a good stick of wood with them.

Tonight I bought a can of Plasti-Dip. You know, that rubber stuff that is sold to dip tool handles in to make them easier to grip. I painted the fingers of both sets of gloves with a light coat of it to see if I can make the slick but better wearing gloves more grippy and help the better gripping cheap gloves wear longer. It soaked right into the suede and stayed more on top of the slick set.

I'll let you guys know how my experiment goes.
Ian

i've got a pair of SUG gloves from wal:censored:
they've held up pretty well

I certainly couldn't work without gloves. I hate all that gummy crap you get on your hands when stacking my cut pine.

I've got a pair of ones with goat leather and they have lasted really well. i also have several of the seude ones ... 6 pairs for $8 and they are scattered all over my property ... always a pair near by if needed :greenchainsaw:

I spent the cash once to buy a pair of elk skin work gloves. $18 per pair. They worked well but not really worth the price.

Ian

I'm frustrated with my gloves. I currently have two different kinds. One is the cheap suede kind that you can buy for about 1.89 a pair. Those grip the firewood pretty well when you are chucking it, but they wear out really fast. The other pair I have is smooth leather and they wear much better but are slick and it's hard to one-hand a good stick of wood with them.

Tonight I bought a can of Plasti-Dip. You know, that rubber stuff that is sold to dip tool handles in to make them easier to grip. I painted the fingers of both sets of gloves with a light coat of it to see if I can make the slick but better wearing gloves more grippy and help the better gripping cheap gloves wear longer. It soaked right into the suede and stayed more on top of the slick set.

I'll let you guys know how my experiment goes.
Ian

If you can find them get a nice snug pair of 'doe-skins'. Pay the extra 5+$, you won't be disappointed. Goat, deer, or split calf are the best imho.

:cheers:

Currently I have a "bargain" package of Wells Lamont that I don't like. The gloves are falling off my hand when working blocks. Otherwise they are comfortable enough.

I had some brown stuff that worked pretty darn well! Finally wore thru....
Good gloves are great. I hate workin' without them.

The dip-it might work, but I doubt that it will stay stuck for long.

-Pat

Nice

VERY cool idea. Let us know how it goes eh? Your almost better off buying the cheap suede type ones and using them for like $2/pr. Check the link below dude... :cheers:

http://www.galeton.com/

IMO, the best gloves for money...

H410-0022.gif

I buy the cheap canvas-back leather palm/finger work gloves like you see for a couple bucks a pair (one size fits none) all over, but I buy them from a safety supply company where I can get smaller sizes that fit correctly. I get them a case at a time, and when they get a hole in them I chuck 'em and grab another pair. Problem is I always wear through my right hand before the left, so I have a whole pile of lefts that are pretty decent yet but the mate is gone.

I wrap duct tape around the fingers that get holes. This will make the gloves last 10 times longer. The tape last longer then the leather. It looks really redneck but saves a bunch of money.

Scott

I wrap duct tape around the fingers that get holes. This will make the gloves last 10 times longer. The tape last longer then the leather. It looks really redneck but saves a bunch of money.

Scott

I use the duct tape method, too. I love that redneck look!
But what a boon for us lefties! I should have been saving my righties that looked half decent after the lefts got Holy.
Maybe in a couple of years I will have a box full of righties for trade!

--------------------------------------
Mculloch Eager Beaver
22" Bow Saw
(wicked amature mistah!)

Well, I went out and split about half a rack of wood last night (half of one of my 25x5 wood racks, not a "rack", "rick", or "truck load" LOL) and it turned out well. The cheap gloves didn't wear as much as I am used to and the other ones gripped better. It does stay on the cheap gloves better because it soaks deeper into the leather. It peels a bit on the better gloves but still improves their grip.
Anyway, I've got a quart of it now, and I put it in a mason jar so it doesn't dry out. Should do a few dozen pairs for the $10 it cost me.

Ian

GREAT Gloves

Just let me get them out of my wife's purse. :jawdrop: C'mon a little callouses never hurt anyone. :cheers:

Haywire,

I currently use the "el cheapo" glove and toss them when they get holes. I'm going to try your idea. It sounds like it works. Thanks for the tip.

I use gloves when I stack the wood just the leather palm type seem to work ok for me. But then again I only cut for myself and not as much as most of you.

you can buy gloves like with a sticky palm and either leather or cotton outersides.... Ansel makes them. We have some at work called Red hand or red palm?? (i think) that the folks at work use all the time to grip powder coated steal and cardboard. will grab a pair and see how they work for Fire wood handling. Now i just use a pair of leather gloves (smooth) that work OK. Get them from work also...:clap: :clap:

I bought a pair of those dipped cloth gloves but they weren't nearly thick enough for much hard work. More for light gardening and such. Never seen dipped leather gloves... looks like I invented something a little too late... ROFL

Ian

I use the thinner smooth leather gloves seem to have good feeling when running a saw and handling wood but the finger tips wear out fast esp. on the rt. glove. So my fix is I bought some hockey tape and I rap the finger tips with a few raps and it gives me grip and makes the gloves last longer Just need to replace the the tape once and while when it needs it. Works good for me.

Back