Gloves for handling firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for the longest lasting gloves used to handle firewood? I seem to wear out the thumb and first finger on all of the split cowhide gloves -does not matter if they are the $1.99 or the $6.00 versions. Using mostly Wells Lamont.

Leather first and foremost. I would pay close attention to thickness and construction also.

I use to be a firm believer of gloves and used to wear them all the time. I got sick of wearing them out so fast and started going bear handed. Don't need gloves at all now and my hands don't mind at all.

Google this:

Dyneema gloves

These gloves are amazing for firewood. They are very thin cut resistant gloves. Not the best for cold weather but amazing work gloves for just about any job that requires gloves.

Last edited:
I picked up some of the new style $9 Stihl gloves last time I was at the dealer over summer. I have loaded, unloaded, cut split and stacked a LOT of firewood with them so far and they have held up really well, MUCH better than all the other gloves I've used. Plus they backs are cloth so they "breathe" and your hands don't get so sweaty. They probably cost $3 more just b/c they say Stihl on them, but have been well worth the price so far.

I"ve worn through so many various styles over the few years of doing this, its pretty much just bare hands now. When it gets cold out, I'll line a pair of $2 leather with a $1 pair of jersey cotton, and besides being comfortable, it works well.
Also, the cotton liner keeps my finger tips from splitting open due to the tanning chemicals in the leather.

Whatever you choose, let us know what you did get and what you think of them.

heavy welding gloves holds up the best!

+1 I just got a pair for handling the wood in the house. Nice to be able to put wood back in the stove over a bed of coals and still be comfortable.

Besides, I got a hickory splinter in my knuckle a while back, and I did not like the results at all! Must have been partially an allergic reaction, because it swelled overnight and took forever to heal.

Gloves are good!

Leather first and foremost. I would pay close attention to thickness and construction also.

I use to be a firm believer of gloves and used to wear them all the time. I got sick of wearing them out so fast and started going bear handed. Don't need gloves at all now and my hands don't mind at all.

I do quite a bit bare handed until it gets colder and then the cheapy gloves come out. I like the cotton liner under leather idea.....I will be trying that.

Gloves are good! Yes indeed. Lest our hands would be raw, cut up and full of splinters and stuff. Not that they are not.

I go through Wells Lamont gloves at a rate of a pair a month. Spendy. Right hand always wears through first. Lately in fall/winter I have been using these el-cheapo blue rubber dipped gloves that a local Stihl dealer sells for 2 pair for $5. They are OK, but they can make your hands hot pretty fast on warm days. The ex-GF and I had about 20 pair of them all over the place for using in the barn and doing chainsaw stuff and such. They work OK, and die fast, but what the heck. They are cheap.

For real cutting and firewood throwing I use the leather though. They suck up the sap and get stickey and stay flexible. I may have to try these pigskin gloves though. They look like the dogs ballacks.

Strange, because I find that my leather gloves quickly load up with sap and become so stiff they're unuseable....kinda like the leather welding gloves of mine that have spent too much time near the fireplace coals, and are so hard the fingers barely flex.

Tractor Supply has leather gloves with cloth back. The leather is doubled up on the thumb and first finger. Cost about $6 if memory serves me. The have held up all summer and fall. They feel a little stiff at first.

I split and throw a lot of wood towards the pile. Wears the thumb and first finger out of other gloves.

I use a nice pair of leather husqvarna chainsaw gloves when cutting. Very nice gloves with kevlar protection on the back. I don't throw any wood with these. Too pricey to see if they would hold up.

Any recommendations for the longest lasting gloves used to handle firewood? I seem to wear out the thumb and first finger on all of the split cowhide gloves -does not matter if they are the $1.99 or the $6.00 versions. Using mostly Wells Lamont.

Another vote for pigskin gloves. However, my chainsaw dealer suggested some cheap horsehide gloves that he has in a big box. I'll probably try those today because my pigskin gloves finally developed a hole.
Jim

I wear them at work because I'm required to. (railroad) But for firewood, unless it's cold I only wear them to run the saw. I built my home and have an ongoing rock wall I've been working on and can't stand to have them on my hands. Try it without for a while, you'll see what I mean.
Dan.

Husqvarna Gloves

I have tried many different gloves and found the Husqvarna gloves to be my first choice. I found the gloves at Lowes and they are good in all season including January in Michigan. I find many gloves to be too tight and some stores don't stock many gloves in the XL size.

They run about $12

:chainsawguy:

I have a wide assortment of gloves, it seems I pick up a pair every other time I go to lowes or the local feedstore. So far my favorites are a pair of leather and cloth craftsman gloves I picked up at sears a few weeks ago. I don't know how durable they will end up being, but they seem to be just thick enough to protect my hands and supple/thin enough to give me a good feel for what I am doing.. 6.00 at sears.

heavy welding gloves holds up the best!

I agree. I bought a three-pack from Harbor Freight for $10. Still going strong.

Nothing last forever anymore, for loading the stove we use leather gloves. For general outdoor wood working I went to those disposable yellow cloth gloves you get at TCS by the 10 pack.

Once they get a hole in 'em the holy one gets trashed and the good hand gets saved and eventually gets married up with another used one.

Over the years we've saved enough coin that I'm more willing to spend it to make wood chores easier.

Back