Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45-70Frank

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good day all and hope your Thanksgiving was a wonderful!!!!!!
Kind of a strange question here but here goes.
I have had a pair of leather gloves for 20 yrs maybe. Not used every day of course. But I bought them many yrs ago and there are no markings on them anymore.
I'm looking for a pair of leather gloves of GREAT QUALITY that will last more than a season? Suggestions?
Now I buy a dozen for 30-$40.00 and each pair last about a week. Done with this and want a pair just foe my personal usage.

Years ago when I worked on a dairy farm in high school, I bought some leather "chore gloves" from tractor supply. They wore out after several years of farm use and when I wanted some more they were no where to be found. They were all leather. Pretty thick split leather if I remember right. Rough feeling. No where to be found now.

They were excellent for long days of hay bailing as they were thick enough so the twine would not dig into your fingers. They had a plastic cinch and nylon string with a little plastic red ball on the end you could tug on to cinch the wrists closed if you wanted to. I never used it though.

Now it seems like the work gloves are all softer leather that wears out faster and they will have lining inside for "comfort" that rips out quickly. My least favorite are any kind of composite glove construction with both synthetic materials as long as maybe some real leather thrown in for looks.

To answer your question though, I'm no longer working on a farm. I do a lot of tree removal equipment mechanics and a ton of steel fabrication. The best gloves I have found are an all leather "batting glove" style glove sold by Lincoln Electric who makes the welders. They call it the Steelworker glove. I've gone through two sets so far and they are a great compromise between thick welding gloves and a light duty work glove. The leather appears to be good quality because it lasts well even though it is somewhat thin by my standards.

http://m.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/...colnElectric)&detail=K2977-L(LincolnElectric)

And at $5 a pair I don't cry when I misplace them. I gave probably a dozen pairs floating around between the trucks, equipnent, shop and my house.

I have a guy that gives me gloves in appreciation of hunting privileges. The nicest ones are Road Hustler. I can wear them out same as any other but they are pretty nice and fairly thick leather, I guess it is leather, maybe from pigs or deer. Sometines the stitching goes sometimes the leather wears through but that is just the way it seems. Sometimes welding places have gloves with cloth on the back of the fingers and back of the hand that last pretty good, sometimes not, by the dozen. I found an ebay listing that appears to be them I suspect they come from his place of employment and they get them by the gross. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memphis-Roa...s-Pair-/291458004148?var=&hash=item43dc4034b4

Years ago when I worked on a dairy farm in high school, I bought some leather "chore gloves" from tractor supply. They wore out after several years of farm use and when I wanted some more they were no where to be found. They were all leather. Pretty thick split leather if I remember right. Rough feeling. No where to be found now.

They were excellent for long days of hay bailing as they were thick enough so the twine would not dig into your fingers. They had a plastic cinch and nylon string with a little plastic red ball on the end you could tug on to cinch the wrists closed if you wanted to. I never used it though.

Now it seems like the work gloves are all softer leather that wears out faster and they will have lining inside for "comfort" that rips out quickly. My least favorite are any kind of composite glove construction with both synthetic materials as long as maybe some real leather thrown in for looks.

To answer your question though, I'm no longer working on a farm. I do a lot of tree removal equipment mechanics and a ton of steel fabrication. The best gloves I have found are an all leather "batting glove" style glove sold by Lincoln Electric who makes the welders. They call it the Steelworker glove. I've gone through two sets so far and they are a great compromise between thick welding gloves and a light duty work glove. The leather appears to be good quality because it lasts well even though it is somewhat thin by my standards.

http://m.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/...colnElectric)&detail=K2977-L(LincolnElectric)

These what you're thinking of?
http://www.shop.com/wells+lamont+11...owhide+leather+work+glove-1323438885-p+.xhtml

Around 10$ at wally world

Nope. Too soft and thin of leather. These were brown too which I know does not matter as it pertains to leather dyeing practices but maybe the OEM stuck with it as a color. There were no reinforcing layers either. Just a single layer of high quality cowhide. I say high quality but split leather is not the strongest leather. Top grain or full grain is strongest and unfortunately the stiffest. Still though, this was thick enough to hold up under what I would consider great stress.

They are close though with the cinch strap and these were probably a Wells Lamont product

The best deal I've found is the 3 pack of Wells Lamont gloves at Costco. A 3 pack will run about $20 (roughly $7 a pair) there is a double layer on half your palm. In my opinion, the key to making them or all gloves for that matter last longer is to use an Wildland firefighter trick that is to turn them inside out so you're wearing them rough out and the soft supple leather is against your hand and all the seams are now on the outside. That rough leather is so much more durable they will last at least twice as long like that. I don't know about you but it depends on what Im doing but splitting 3-4 cords of oak I will go through a pair easy if not turned out. Good luck.

Gloves.jpg

I like the Stihl leather work gloves. The pair I have has been going on 5 years running chainsaw and handling wood every weekend. They give me the dexterity to handle the saw and no worn holes or torn stitching.

The best deal I've found is the 3 pack of Wells Lamont gloves at Costco. A 3 pack will run about $20 (roughly $7 a pair) there is a double layer on half your palm. In my opinion, the key to making them or all gloves for that matter last longer is to use an Wildland firefighter trick that is to turn them inside out so you're wearing them rough out and the soft supple leather is against your hand and all the seams are now on the outside. That rough leather is so much more durable they will last at least twice as long like that. I don't know about you but it depends on what Im doing but splitting 3-4 cords of oak I will go through a pair easy if not turned out. Good luck.

View attachment 539303

My favorite gloves. I'm going to try that trick thanks!

I have had a pair of leather gloves for 20 yrs maybe. Not used every day of course. But I bought them many yrs ago and there are no markings on them anymore.
I'm looking for a pair of leather gloves of GREAT QUALITY that will last more than a season? Suggestions?
Now I buy a dozen for 30-$40.00 and each pair last about a week. Done with this and want a pair just foe my personal usage.
Are you looking for chainsaw protection from your gloves? . If just general purpose gloves I have found pairs of welders gloves to be long lasting.

I like the Stihl leather work gloves. The pair I have has been going on 5 years running chainsaw and handling wood every weekend. They give me the dexterity to handle the saw and no worn holes or torn stitching.
I wore holes in mine in a week:( that's why i switched to the rubber dipped gloves for firewood and cutting. They are 1/3 of the price and last me the same amount of time. I do wear leather gloves running the porta-wrap on my tree jobs.

Best ones I used were years ago on the farm. Full leather fingers and palms, a canvas cuff and back. Would last most of a summer on a farm and were stiff until broken in, like good boots used to be.

Newer versions don't hold up and seem to be a split leather product.

I wore holes in mine in a week:( that's why i switched to the rubber dipped gloves for firewood and cutting. They are 1/3 of the price and last me the same amount of time. I do wear leather gloves running the porta-wrap on my tree jobs.

Yeah same. I move wood though. I average 10-12 cords a week. I'm sure nearly any glove will last year's if not used much.
A 12pk of the Atlas gloves lasts me easily a year, and that's with loosing a pair or two and my hired hand usin them too... so pretty much a pair lasts me ~100 cords.

Most decent lasting leather gloves are almost painful to wear at first and hard to grip small items. Feels like I have big mittens on. They get slippery when wet, and get soaked fast too. The rubber dipped stay fairly dry and the rubber on wood is nearly like have Spiderman hands! If they get full of grease or oil, can just throw them in the clothes washer along with the work clothes.

I like drivers which are readily available at farm supply store but it seems every year the leather is thinner than the year before. Used to get good service out of deer skin but not now - fingertips wear out in less than a season of Saturday cutting. Elk skin seems to be more durable but very difficult to find. I am on my last pair of elk skin and regularly check the displays for another pair.

Both deer skin and elk skin remain flexible even after a drenching.

Ron

These are about my go to anymore, leather gloves for splitting and loading/unloading, and the dipped gloves for cutting. Kinco also has a brown one called the frost breaker I believe, and they're nice and comfy but the foam doesn't last, or hold up to gasoline.

Latest posts

Back