Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinco's all the way. Frost Breakers for not so cold days and knit cuff 1927's all winter. Not great for dexterity but they do keep my hands warm. I have had ice form on the outside when I was running the loader but my hands weren't frozen. At $15-$17 they are not cheap but do hold up pretty well. I have several pairs so I always have some dry ones. Doing firewood I wear out the right hand first. Have a box of lefts in the garage that I swap with my left handed friend, he has a box of rights.

I use the husqvarna brand orange gloves. They are a mix of fabrics and fake leather but I will use them for as long as they sell them. They saved my finger from getting cut off once. I was using my t540xp and holding onto a branch to keep it sturdy while I cut, and the chain hooked on the bark and walked itself all the way up the branch and tagged my finger. The glove went into the chain and stopped it immediately. My finger wasn't even touched.

Madsen's about $48 a dozen for good leather gloves. I generally pick them up by the dozen when I'm in Chehalis, Wa. Too many of us on the farm to go hunting around for gloves.

OK an update a year later I bought the Lamont Leather Work gloves for daily use and Christmas presents. This is tractor, firewood and farm work. Other than some loose threads starting to wear in the palm thumb area they have been MORE than WORTH the MONEY.
Even gutted a bear with a pair on and they were saturated with blood. I took them washed the with dawn in the sink, let them dry to rock hard. Took some mink oil and rubbed it in twice, let it sit a few days. Back in use.
For chain saw use since I use OLD HOMELITES with no rubber mounts and heavy I bough the Ironglads and they give pretty good relieve from the vibration and still in great shape, For just cutting they should last a few years.
Thanks for the great info.

As a fulltime sawyer handling rough-barked wood, rope, etc., I was going through gloves at a ridiculous rate. Might get 10--15 days out of a pair of gloves, and I prefer all leather.

You develop holes in the fingers, or a split seam, and keep wearing them to save $--but those holes are exactly where your hands are working most, and now you're getting stabbed by needles or cut by this and that.

For the last couple of years I've worn only one glove--Yellowstone Elkskin (made in USA). Heavy leather. They're pricey, $32.99 pair where I shop, but they last easily three times longer than the $10 kind I used before. I oil my gloves well before first use, and these go a loooong way.

Latest posts

Back